Video Games: A Far Cry From E3

KiDisaster

How does a comparison to GTA become a negative? GTA is one of the best reviewed and best selling game franchises of all time. Though granted with the last 3 GTA games people seem to have initially been full of praise and then kind of somewhat walked the praise back. But still, I thought it was a pretty widely respected franchise. So making GTA comparisons with Cyberpunk as a way of criticizing it seems pretty odd.

Was never interested in GTA myself, so the comparison is a bit of a negative from my perspective and I hope it's not really all that GTA-like. But if it's more like a Sci-Fi Witcher that's got me interested.

19 minutes ago, Vin said:

It feels halfway between bloodborne and dark souls 

From the gameplay video, I would say nothing like either. Unless you only mean in the combat mechanics. The whole look and feel of the game doesn't give me the slightest "Souls" vibe. Though Admittedly the only Souls game I've played to completion is Demon's Souls, and the only other one I've played a bit is Bloodborne.

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

From the gameplay video, I would say nothing like either. Unless you only mean in the combat mechanics. The whole look and feel of the game doesn't give me the slightest "Souls" vibe. Though Admittedly the only Souls game I've played to completion is Demon's Souls, and the only other one I've played a bit is Bloodborne.

I meant more the speed and tempo of the combat . In bloodborne it's fast as fuck with emphasis on the dash ( which is present here) and in dark souls it's much slower with emphasis on shield play and strafing . I feel like its faster than dark souls but slower than bloodborne . Should be interesting to see .

Vibe and theme seems different,more traditional or expected maybe .no lovecraftian abominations or horrors yet .

Demon souls should get remastered, a lot of people missed out on it which a shame .

23 hours ago, Vin said:

I'm just waiting for bioware to die already so other developers can eat up their RPG turf . It's gonna be bittersweet the because some of my favorite IP's will die with it . 

Bioware died quite some time ago. The IP, on the other hand, can stick around for pretty long time as EA will undoubtedly bring it out every time their proposal evaluators decide that retreading an old but famous IP is less risky than whatever new things they have in front of them at the time.

12 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Bioware died quite some time ago. The IP, on the other hand, can stick around for pretty long time as EA will undoubtedly bring it out every time their proposal evaluators decide that retreading an old but famous IP is less risky than whatever new things they have in front of them at the time.

I agree , but they're still hanging on by a thread . It seems they're trying to make anthem into some sort of destiny . Which is dumb considering destiny type games don't appeal to their audience and don't really do that well .

I just want mass effect and dragon age to be handed over to someone who's gonna show them some love . But I'm afraid they might get the knights of the old republic treatment .

1 hour ago, Vin said:

I meant more the speed and tempo of the combat . In bloodborne it's fast as fuck with emphasis on the dash ( which is present here) and in dark souls it's much slower with emphasis on shield play and strafing . I feel like its faster than dark souls but slower than bloodborne . Should be interesting to see .

Vibe and theme seems different,more traditional or expected maybe .no lovecraftian abominations or horrors yet .

Demon souls should get remastered, a lot of people missed out on it which a shame .

I hope they leave out all fantasy / horror elements from this game and that the "Ghost" part of the title is metaphorical. I think a story is much more compelling when the horror is about the things people do and the evils we commit from our own choices and ambitions, rather than the machinations of some inhuman entity.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I hope they leave out all fantasy / horror elements from this game and that the "Ghost" part of the title is metaphorical. I think a story is much more compelling when the horror is about the things people do and the evils we commit from our own choices and ambitions, rather than the machinations of some inhuman entity.

Someone likes spec ops the line :D

I definitely see your point but I think it works differently for each game depending on the setting and what they're trying to get across . I think a game that really pulls this off other than spec ops the line is the last of us .

7 minutes ago, Vin said:

I definitely see your point but I think it works differently for each game depending on the setting and what they're trying to get across . I think a game that really pulls this off other than spec ops the line is the last of us .

Well, Last of Us does have inhuman enemies, sort of.

3 minutes ago, Vin said:

Never actually played Spec Ops the Line. Heard good things about it though.

I was going to mention TLOU. Even though it has the monsters and the horror vibe, by the time you get half way into the game the monsters are a backdrop and it's all about how barbaric humanity (or some / most of it) has become. Which is how The Walking Dead works too. And speaking of TLOU, Part 2 seems to be doubling down on that theme. I really like how none of the footage I've seen of the game show any infected. I still hope the infected provide some welcome respite, and challenge and a bit of scare, from having to deal with all the nastiness of post apocalyptic human dystopia. With infected, you always know where you stand and how to react. With people, you don't know if they want to steal from you, torture you and steal from you, kill you and steal from you, Kill you and steal from you and eat you, or be your friend; it's very stressful. And since only 1 of hose outcomes is actually pleasant it's better odds if you just go ahead and start shooting yourself, instead of waiting for them to get the upper hand.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

Well, Last of Us does have inhuman enemies, sort of.

Yeah but I was thinking how the most horrifying elements of it are the bandits and what people were willing to do to each other ,literally butchering each other for food . How human life became worthless . I understand it's survival but still , choices were made .

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Never actually played Spec Ops the Line. Heard good things about it though.

I was going to mention TLOU. Even though it has the monsters and the horror vibe, by the time you get half way into the game the monsters are a backdrop and it's all about how barbaric humanity (or some / most of it) has become. Which is how The Walking Dead works too. And speaking of TLOU, Part 2 seems to be doubling down on that theme. I really like how none of the footage I've seen of the game show any infected. I still hope the infected provide some welcome respite, and challenge and a bit of scare, from having to deal with all the nastiness of post apocalyptic human dystopia. With infected, you always know where you stand and how to react. With people, you don't know if they want to steal from you, torture you and steal from you, kill you and steal from you, Kill you and steal from you and eat you, or be your friend; it's very stressful. And since only 1 of hose outcomes is actually pleasant it's better odds if you just go ahead and start shooting yourself, instead of waiting for them to get the upper hand.

Spec ops is definitely worth a try if it's on sale but don't expect a masterpiece or anything , just thought provoking ideas. gameplay is very generic.

Yep , exactly . I basically started thinking of the infected as animals , it's just their nature . The people are the ones who make you question the purpose of keeping on , which is why I really liked the drop back of that theme onto Joel's journey of finding hope for a life worth living again through being a father to Ellie and loving her . Good contrast. I hope there's more of that in last of us 2 and it's not just Ellie being(understandably) edgy all the time .stuff like the giraffe scene go a long way and just precious.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Ahhh Piss! I just found out Cyberpunk is FPS. Well, that's now off my shopping list. 

Not ideal but understandable. Gun mechanics are really clunky in 3rd person and that just usually turns into cover shooters like a gears of war clone .

CP2077 being first person has dropped it from definitely to unlikely in terms of my buying the game.  We'll see what happens.  Maybe I won't be able to resist.  I hate first person, though.  This was easily the game I was most looking forward to.  Oh well.   

16 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

CP2077 being first person has dropped it from definitely to unlikely in terms of my buying the game.  We'll see what happens.  Maybe I won't be able to resist.  I hate first person, though.  This was easily the game I was most looking forward to.  Oh well.   

Generally I'm not a FPS fan either, but I had a lot of fun with Destiny and I liked Fallout 3/NV.  It may not be a deal killer for me.

12 hours ago, Vin said:

Not ideal but understandable. Gun mechanics are really clunky in 3rd person and that just usually turns into cover shooters like a gears of war clone .

FPS seems the best option for a couple of reasons in addition to gunplay. It's easier to navigate cramped indoor spaces in first person than in third, and a large part of the game seems like it will be indoors if that comment about most buildings having an internal section is true. Plus if there are a lot of environmental objects like terminals, computers, keypads, etc, around the place it's easier to interact with them in first person.

I do like third person for when I'm roaming the environment but I much prefer first for when I'm actually doing stuff, so the FPS doesn't bother me.

18 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

FPS seems the best option for a couple of reasons in addition to gunplay. It's easier to navigate cramped indoor spaces in first person than in third, and a large part of the game seems like it will be indoors if that comment about most buildings having an internal section is true. Plus if there are a lot of environmental objects like terminals, computers, keypads, etc, around the place it's easier to interact with them in first person.

I do like third person for when I'm roaming the environment but I much prefer first for when I'm actually doing stuff, so the FPS doesn't bother me.

Yeah that's fair . I just feel that a lot of the customization and personal touches (that we should have) go to waste in first person .

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of a 1st person RPG, but as @The Drunkard pointed out there seem to be well thought out reasons for the move that don't consist of 'we make bang-bang game, you shoot bad-bad men' so I for one am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

The gentleman with the handsome accent I saw a video of also made it clear that in dialogue and cutscenes we'd get to see our character quite often.

From what I can tell, Night City has a freeway section looping around it and some roads that run more into the interior, but the city just isn't designed like a GTA one, so you can't drive almost everywhere, run tons of people over etc. In the existing Cyberpunk lore, Night City was originally custom-designed with a first-rate public transport system so cars would not be as necessary (before the city went to shit), so they seem to be following that. If anything, it sounds like the subway will just be a lot quicker for getting around a lot of the city.

The blowback on the third person thing is interesting. CDPR have good form for listening to fans, so they may decide to include a third-person mode after launch (if not at launch). I was originally thinking this would be difficult because of the real-time model-swapping, which is a major pain in the backside (Fallout 3 and Skyrim are janky as hell with it, but Fallout 4 is a bit better with it), but because of the existing customisation and the cut scenes they already have the models. So it'd really be a question of making the models interact properly with the surroundings, which due to the wall-running mechanics may be a lot of work, and finding a way of making it work with first-person shooting. It certainly isn't a trivial change, or not as trivial as people seem to think.

Good lord. This hardened E3 veteran has been reduced to an incoherent mess by the gameplay presentation.

ETA: Confirmed. No multiplayer at launch. They're working on multiplayer ideas, but CP2077 will launch as a 100% singleplayer game.

ETA: I think I'm up to about a dozen game journalists describing CP2077 as the best E3 game demo they've ever seen, bar none.

ETA: Kotaku's take seems indicative of most of the reception for the game.

Archived