Video Games: A Far Cry From E3

KiDisaster

Tomb Raider is awesome.  I think this might be my second favorite game since I bought this console.

I'm in the camp that doesn't like the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer.  I also thought of GTA when I saw it and I have never liked GTA.

The Last of Us 2 trailer looks pretty great.  The combat looks just like Tomb Raider which is good.  Too bad I have an Xbox and miss these PS4 exclusives. 

15 hours ago, Fez said:

I thought the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer looked incredible and y'all are crazy.

Agreed. Why are people assuming that a Witcher 3-style RPG made with the Witcher 3 engine and with the same gameplay style is going to play like an all-out action game like GTA? You just have cars to get from place to place instead of horses, and from the look of it you don't need to use the cars at all (you can take taxis or the subway as well).

It's more like the last two Deus Exes in a massive open world environment, with 100% customisable characters (one thing we haven't seen in a GTA so far: female protagonists) which is a big difference from GTA to start with.

Cyberpunk 2077 showcase going on right now. Lots of tweets from lots of journos. Main points:

• Witcher 3 format/vibes with a lot of conversations, choices on how you do things (combat, stealth, persusasion, hacking, intimidation).
  • Alternative timeline: this future developed from the 1980s, not our own timeline, and Cyberpunk 2020 and the all the existing lore remains intact. Characters from the existing Cyberpunk products will appear, but they're a bit coy about how (as the video game is set 57 years after the previous canon).
  • You can take people down through stealth attacks.
  • Full day/night cycle and variable weather conditions.
  • Six distinct regions of the city. Very rich high-end areas and a massive, near-lawless region called Pacifica.
  • The game will let you enter almost every building you can see in the trailer (whimper). The entire city you can see in the trailer - every bit of it - is the open world and you can explore it all.
  • Along with normal areas, the game has several "megatowers", which are basically Judge Dredd blocs complete with their own ecosystems, factions and shops.
  • Massive verticality to the game.
  • EXP is divided into two strands: normal EXP is accrued from completing the main quests. Street EXP or street cred is mostly gained from side-missions. As it increases, your chances of being attacked by criminals on the streets in slum areas decreases and you start opening up new vendors and informants.
  • You see the game primarily through a first-person perspective! That's new information.
  • CDPR emphasise that this is a roleplaying game with shooter elements, not an action game. Choice and narrative consequence is the game's #1 emphasis.
  • Your character is called "Vee" but you can define their gender, backstory and abilities. Interestingly, CDPR seem to be pushing the idea they see Vee as a female character, but it's up to players how they shape the character.
  • There are perks, skills and cyberware in the game that define your abilities. There are template classes you can use for guidance, but not hard-set classes.
  • The main story is noir-influenced with an emphasis on the inequality between the streets and the rich people living in the towers above.

It looks like there are lots of cool games coming out, whether this year or in the next few years. I'm a Switch owner and I'll definitely be getting me some Smash Bros... Don't know if I'll be willing to pay 60 bucks for Mario Party though. Cyberpunk looks cool, Fallout 76 is not really my jam but it's good to know Bethesda is working on a space RPG and the Elder Scrolls VI, and I'm pretty excited for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. A new Jedi game also could be very nice.

As for Bayonetta/Metroid/Pokemon/whatever, Nintendo's strategy these days is to only advertise games that are releasing in the coming months, and to have lots of mini E3s all year around so that each new big game gets its day on the stage. I'm cool with that strategy- whenever the games are getting close to ready, I'm happy to get hyped at them then. It's nice to know when something's in development, but otherwise I think publishers have learned it's not in their interest to release real trailers years ahead of time, because things change and before you know it everyone is whining about cut "promised" features.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Cyberpunk 2077 showcase going on right now. Lots of tweets from lots of journos. Main points:

• Witcher 3 format/vibes with a lot of conversations, choices on how you do things (combat, stealth, persusasion, hacking, intimidation).
  • Alternative timeline: this future developed from the 1980s, not our own timeline, and Cyberpunk 2020 and the all the existing lore remains intact. Characters from the existing Cyberpunk products will appear, but they're a bit coy about how (as the video game is set 57 years after the previous canon).
  • You can take people down through stealth attacks.
  • Full day/night cycle and variable weather conditions.
  • Six distinct regions of the city. Very rich high-end areas and a massive, near-lawless region called Pacifica.
  • The game will let you enter almost every building you can see in the trailer (whimper). The entire city you can see in the trailer - every bit of it - is the open world and you can explore it all.
  • Along with normal areas, the game has several "megatowers", which are basically Judge Dredd blocs complete with their own ecosystems, factions and shops.
  • Massive verticality to the game.
  • EXP is divided into two strands: normal EXP is accrued from completing the main quests. Street EXP or street cred is mostly gained from side-missions. As it increases, your chances of being attacked by criminals on the streets in slum areas decreases and you start opening up new vendors and informants.
  • You see the game primarily through a first-person perspective! That's new information.
  • CDPR emphasise that this is a roleplaying game with shooter elements, not an action game. Choice and narrative consequence is the game's #1 emphasis.
  • Your character is called "Vee" but you can define their gender, backstory and abilities. Interestingly, CDPR seem to be pushing the idea they see Vee as a female character, but it's up to players how they shape the character.
  • There are perks, skills and cyberware in the game that define your abilities. There are template classes you can use for guidance, but not hard-set classes.
  • The main story is noir-influenced with an emphasis on the inequality between the streets and the rich people living in the towers above.

Ok. Now that's what I was looking for. I'm back on board. Thanks Wert.

Cyberpunk 2077 apparently has the most-watched trailer from all of E3 (that may have changed today but that was the case yesterday). This game is going to be pretty huge.

Lots of people annoyed about the first-person switch though.

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Cyberpunk 2077 apparently has the most-watched trailer from all of E3 (that may have changed today but that was the case yesterday). This game is going to be pretty huge.

Lots of people annoyed about the first-person switch though.

Dude, I tuned into the stream you linked. The video went from 500 dislikes to about to break 2,000 and the chat has gone insane since they started an Anthem propaganda video and transitioned to DC Villains about 20 minutes ago.

Is this a moment, Wert?

14 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Dude, I tuned into the stream you linked. The video went from 500 dislikes to about to break 2,000 and the chat has gone insane since they started an Anthem propaganda video and transitioned to DC Villains about 20 minutes ago.

Is this a moment, Wert?

it's going on now.

Yeah, they just ran 20 minutes late. Sheesh. Spider-Man looks amazing though.

Infuriatingly, no gameplay footage despite there being a 45-minute presentation people got to see. That does sound amazing though.

Back at Fallout 76:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3X04jwJ0U&feature=youtu.be

"Can I play offline?"
"You cannot. Even if you're playing solo, doing quests, you'll still see other players in the game."

Also there are no human NPCs in the game, at all, and you get quests from robots and terminals.

There are ways of switching on and off PVP to reducing griefing, but they're still figuring out how that happens, if it's limited to certain areas or server settings.

VATS is still present but no longer slows down or freezes time.

Confirmation that there is no Fallout 3 remaster in the works.

Archived