Football - To Russia with Löw

Philokles

Anyway, back to real scum among football clubs and fans.

As you may or may not have heard, there were promotion play-offs for promotion to the third tier.

Among the teams that made a return to more professional football are 1860 (that joke of a club with their Jordan investor which hired powers), and Energie Cotbus. Cotbus is a real scum fest of a club with a fan scene so rotten it puts Rangers to shame. Why?

Well, here is some "fans" celebrating their team's promotion

Rise of Evil.

The Banner reads Aufstieg des Bösen. Those Bozos (involtuntarily) created a pun there.

As Aufstieg has a double meaning, as in rise and promote in sport. So the banner reads as Rise of Evil. Or promotion of evil. And yes, they are wearing KKK outfits.

The tattoo is a rather odd memorial, but I see no way anyone can rationally claim Sterling is glamorising gun violence. Quite the opposite in fact. She will get her wish though, it will not be visible when Sterling plays with his socks up.

Mislintat needs a bit more imagination than just resigning all his former Dortmund players. Sokratis is rather mediocre and would probably have been high on BVB's players to replace for next season even had they not received a generous offer. He worked okay alongside more intelligent and better ball-playing partners in Hummels and pre-bomb Bartra, but was very poor this campaign alongside Toprak

24 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

The tattoo is a rather odd memorial, but I see no way anyone can rationally claim Sterling is glamorising gun violence. Quite the opposite in fact. She will get her wish though, it will not be visible when Sterling plays with his socks up.

Mislintat needs a bit more imagination than just resigning all his former Dortmund players. Sokratis is rather mediocre and would probably have been high on BVB's players to replace for next season even had they not received a generous offer. He worked okay alongside more intelligent and better ball-playing partners in Hummels and pre-bomb Bartra, but was very poor this campaign alongside Toprak

Yea, I'm with you. A bit frustrated that every single person we're linked to is pretty much a former Dortmund guy or someone Mislintat scouted while there but I guess I can't be too surprised. 

Still, I watch Liverpool sign Fabinho and possibly Fekir and I get a little jealous when we're bringing in 30+ year old defensemen. I get why we're doing it, leadership and all that, but I need to see them bring in some young, serious talent for me to get excited.

18 hours ago, ljkeane said:

It's not a particularly reasonable position but her son was murdered, she's probably entitled to not react well to something she could see as promoting or glamorizing guns. The bigger issue is the Sun, being scummy as usual, seeing an admittedly shit tattoo and deciding to exploit the understandable emotions of a grieving mother to drum up controversy.

Her position is probably the worst one a person can find themselves in and her emotions running wild on this subject is understandable. All that being said, she's also way out of line.

Regarding the Sun, from little I know of them they are the lowest of the low so let's not even comment on them further.

Somehow I doubt United is interested in Arnautovic. Arnautovic is a fine player, but United looks a bit out of his league, and that's not talking about his inconsistency.

In other news, Wagner has signed a new contract at Huddersfield after the terriers brought in Rebbe as DoF. Rebbe is such a weiird signing. His track record in Germany has been far from brilliant (very mildly put), but apparently Wagner wanted him as a condition for penning his new contract.

2 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Sky Sports reporting that Man United are interested in signing Marko Arnautovic.

I don't trust anything from "sky sources". Not much better than "according to The Sun, Dail Star" etc. More reliable journalists, namely Romano and Di Marzio, have reported that United are interested in Mandžukić. 

ETA. okay, I've just seen that Di Marzio has reported that Arnautovic might be a possible alternative should United fail to land Mandžukić. Still this seems very unlikely since Sky are saying that West Ham value Arnautovic at 50 million. Don't see us paying that for someone who is intended to be a backup for Lukaku.

Arnautovic doesn't really strike me as the kind of player Mourinho would like. A bit of googling reveals he played him 3 times at Inter and didn't describe him in particularly flattering terms.

Lewandowski's agent has apparently publicly come out and said he wants to leave Bayern. Not exactly news to many people I'd think but directly saying it does kick it up a notch.

And it would appear that Bayern are digging their heels in as well. According to Christian Falk, Bayern are adamant that they will not sell Lewandowski.

It also looks like talks between Napoli and Chelsea for Sarri have stalled because Chelsea refuse to pay the €8m release fee and are instead offering €4m. If Chelsea's board think that De Laurentiis will budge then they have sorely misjudged the situation. 

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

It also looks like talks between Napoli and Chelsea for Sarri have stalled because Chelsea refuse to pay the €8m release fee and are instead offering €4m. If Chelsea's board think that De Laurentiis will budge then they have sorely misjudged the situation.

Napoli can hardly go into the new season with two managers, so De Laurentiis will have to give in someday. Still for a club with Chelsea's resources, €4m seems a pointlessly small amount to haggle over with an important summer ahead. Especially with Hazard stalling on a new deal until he is assured the club is moving in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Napoli can hardly go into the new season with two managers, so De Laurentiis will have to give in someday. Still for a club with Chelsea's resources, €4m seems a pointlessly small amount to haggle over with an important summer ahead. Especially with Hazard stalling on a new deal until he is assured the club is moving in the right direction.

I thought so too but reports have been saying otherwise. Basically, according to reports, Sarri has been relieved of managerial duties but De Laurentiis is not prepared to fire him as that would result in Napoli having to pay an additional €500k penalty on top of paying out his contract. Sarri is reportedly on €1.5m per year contract with 2 years to run and it seems that De Laurentiis is prepared to eat that €3m cost should the release clause not be met.

This whole thing is further complicated by suggestions that De Laurentiis is looking to make an example of Sarri. Apparently he is pissed off with Sarri and feels that he was stalling on committing himself to Napoli in the hopes of getting a better offer. There was also a recent interview where De Laurentiis had this to say:

There is no background on the farewell of Sarri. At a certain point I announced 'expired time'. Being responsible for a football company like Napoli I can not be available to others when others have to be available to the club. After the expired time I moved on and I brought Carlo Ancelotti to Naples. With him we began to collaborate, I showed the son of Ancelotti and his staff Napoli's structure, and we want to fix it and make it more functional.

I chose Carlo because every time we have talked in recent years has always given me a sense of serenity and impartiality. When he called me to ask me a player he always did it calmly, not as Antonio Conte who was looking for me several times and insisted. I took Ancelotti because he is one who has won everywhere and does not use Napoli as a trampoline to go somewhere else.

I do not give anyone discounts, it's not that I do to someone and don't to somebody else.I do not give discounts for the fans because I defend them. That is a clause made to defend my choices and when my choices are not respected and I am asked to change a contract, I modify it, but a contract must be bilateral. You ask me for more money? Fine, I insert the release clause but then it must work because you have taken more money. Now that you got more money, clause doesn't work anymore? Doesn't work like this.

Remember, though, as well resourced as Chelsea are, this is going to be a very expensive summer for them, with regards to their managerial situation. If they do sack Conte, apparently it will cost them around £17.5m to pay him and his staff off. With that it mind, you can see why they might haggle over the money to sign Sarri. To sort out their managerial situation alone, its going to cost Chelsea in the excess of £20m.

53 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Remember, though, as well resourced as Chelsea are, this is going to be a very expensive summer for them, with regards to their managerial situation. If they do sack Conte, apparently it will cost them around £17.5m to pay him and his staff off. With that it mind, you can see why they might haggle over the money to sign Sarri. To sort out their managerial situation alone, its going to cost Chelsea in the excess of £20m.

Still though, haggling over €4m for their first choice replacement for Conte seems shortsighted. Then there is also the issue of Emenalo's position being left vacant for months. The Chelsea board aren't doing a very good job here especially considering the contract situations of Courtois and Hazard and the club doesn't even have CL football to offer next season. I've seen some reports (from not so reliable sources admittedly) that Chelsea have now turned their attention to Laurent Blanc.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Zidane out, Wenger in. Allegedly.

What a shame for Zidane if it turns out to be true. He's even improved tactically as a manager over the past 2.5 seasons. This would be a downgrade imo.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

What a shame for Zidane if it turns out to be true. He's even improved tactically as a manager over the past 2.5 seasons. This would be a downgrade imo.

Leaving Madrid makes perfect sense for Zizou. Three CLs on the bounce is pretty much as good as it gets. He leaves them now, his legacy as one of their greatest ever managers is preserved for all time.

I think Wenger might do well at Madrid. Maybe he can flog us Bale on the cheap. :D

Archived