MMA & Boxing 20: D.C. Stands For "Double Champ"

KiDisaster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the only decent things about having no live sports is that ESPN has been playing tons of classic UFC and boxing matches lately. 

They just had the Barrera-Morales I fight on. I thought Marco was robbed back then and I still do. Bad decision, but an instant classic. Both guys throwing bombs the entire 36 minutes. The late 90’s and early 2000’s was my favorite time for boxing. I miss it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Best card in years, so hyped for it. It sucks that Masvidal had to cut 20 pounds in such a short time. I expect Usman to wear him down and win by decision, but I really hope I’m wrong.

I want Max to get the title back but having my doubts about that too. Thug Rose should get revenge, and love Yan beating Aldo. Probably gonna parlay those 2 fights.

My site have predictions up for this one too. Didn't get one of my own in for the main event coz I've had a bit of a week and didn't have time to do the tape-watching I'd need to credibly talk about it, but had thoughts on the rest. Aldo looks like he's managed the cut better this time than for Moraes, looks less of a skeleton, so he might have more shot of getting to Yan since he does have stylistic advantages in how he can slide back as Yan pitches forward, but I'm sticking with Yan to ultimately overwhelm.

I should have a piece dropping later on which I banged out last night which goes more into why I think, short of Andrade's chin just being gone, I favour Andrade to get to Rose again. 

eta: here it is.

• 1 month later...

It was a good fight. Cormier looked good in round one and seemed to have more cardio than in the last fight. Hard to say how the fight would have gone without that eye poke. And if the ref had seen it, the fight probably would have been ruled no contest. Feel bad for DC but he seems to have accepted and moved in. 

Stipe took over the fight after rocking DC at the end of the 2nd round. The eye poke was horrible, but without it Cormier still most likely loses. His eye was fucked up even before that happened. 

I don’t know about DC’s cardio either. It was weird seeing double underhooks totally controlling him for so long at times. Again, I think he just never fully recovered from being hurt and barely surviving the 2nd.

Props to Stipe though. He had a brilliant game plan, and was walking through those big rights in the clinch(the same shot that KO’d him in their first fight). Now he gets the joy of facing Ngannou once again. Yeesh

• 1 month later...

Costa totally outclassed. He looked completely overwhelmed and Adesanya just picked him apart from distance with those brutal leg kicks. Coming out like a madman was probably Paulo’s only chance, not whatever the fuck that game plan was. He did not look ready at all.

Great performance by the champ nonetheless. 

Izzy was great. I've no idea what Costa was thinking. Trying to save his cardio? Too worried about the counters so he tried to beat Adesanya at his own game?

Also, given that the buildup had been most notable for a certain tension between the two that the entire internet had apparently decided was non-platonic, Izzy finishing up by miming fucking Costa in the arse was... something.

Archived