U.S. Politics: The Marionette Presidency Edition

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Cuomo is a corrupt ass. Hope he goes down with all of his cronies.

Does anybody's have any infos on that Nixon v Cuomo battle? I thought she was wooden as fuck on Colbert, but her 'I'd rather be the good Nixon than the bad Cuomo' line was inspired.

6 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

This is I think is the different dynamic in the parties.

Repubicans are always supremely confident in their ideas, even if they are horribly wrong or proven to be wrong. And they sit around and yell at each other about who is the most conservative.

Democrats on the other hand always have to sit there and handwring over everything.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." -- Bertrand Russell, perhaps

I don't think this is historically true, but certainly in the current members of Congress, after a fair amount of devolution on the Republican side, you could almost chalk this up entirely to the Dunning-Kruger effect. Not to say that all elected Dems are smart, but Jesus, Paul Ryan passes for the smart guy in the GOP caucus.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." -- Bertrand Russell, perhaps

I don't think this is historically true, but certainly in the current members of Congress, after a fair amount of devolution on the Republican side, you could almost chalk this up entirely to the Dunning-Kruger effect. Not to say that all elected Dems are smart, but Jesus, Paul Ryan passes for the smart guy in the GOP caucus.

Umm, he has spreadsheets!

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Agree with your main point, but on a tangent about the quote:  I did not know that was Bertrand Russell.

I always associated that idea with a couple lines from William Butler Yeats' poem "The Second Coming":

The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.

Just about 100 years old but seems fitting now.

8 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Does anybody's have any infos on that Nixon v Cuomo battle? I thought she was wooden as fuck on Colbert, but her 'I'd rather be the good Nixon than the bad Cuomo' line was inspired.

Last I saw, Cuomo had a ~35 pt lead over Nixon.

I see that as part of the documents Kavanagh had to turn over in his vetting are notes/stories about a lawyers’ round table where he suggested the SCOTUS decision against Nixon, forcing him to turn over the Watergate tapes, was wrongly decided.

That’s why the notion that something like Roe v Wade is ‘decided law’ is completely misleading. Someone like Kavanagh comes along and announces the decision was just plain wrong and gathers like-minded judges to his side. The Supreme Court is the highest court in the land and can change it’s decisions, a different situation than lower courts that have to follow precedent and can’t ignore higher level decisions. Well, they can, and have them thrown out on appeal.

22 minutes ago, LongRider said:

uhhh, wut?

The usual playbook, when things look grim at home, pound the drum against a hostile nation (or just immigrants and refugees). After being called a wuss all week for kneeling to Putin, he needs to prove how tough he is, the bigliest man with the bigliest hands.

There is also the fact that he still thinks this kind of talk is what made NK meet with him. He hasn’t acknowledged or realized yet that he was played by Kim. He will threaten his way to a peace prize yet.

11 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

At the moment I'm behind, when it comes to campaign news.  This is the only thing I've seen in the mainstream outlets I look at every AM, and it's not only about her.  Beyond that there was some Sex and the City fashion tie-in event.  Other things are dominating -- including the other daily paper laying off most of its staff.  There's always the problem of placement on the Working Families party ballot in elections.  (Crowley's on it, which means he can split the votes cast that might be cast otherwise for  Ocasio-Cortez .)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-nixon-teachout-williams-working-families-party-cuomo-petition-20180722-story.html#

In any case it's a steep, uphill battle against Cuomo for her.  But somebody has to fight it!  So good for her.  But honestly when it comes to who will play outside of NY, Ocasio-Cortez would play better, I at least, have no doubt, than Cuomo, and that she would also play better in upstate NY than Nixon.

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

The usual playbook, when things look grim at home, pound the drum against a hostile nation (or just immigrants and refugees). After being called a wuss all week for kneeling to Putin, he needs to prove how tough he is, the bigliest man with the bigliest hands.

There is also the fact that he still thinks this kind of talk is what made NK meet with him. He hasn’t acknowledged or realized yet that he was played by Kim. He will threaten his way to a peace prize yet.

There's a meme floating around social media where there were at least four times Trump predicted that Obama would start a war with Iran to distract from troubles at home. You can't make up someone this bottomlessly stupid.

28 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

Sweet lord, Bush 41’s former physician was gunned down and killed while riding his bicycle,  by another guy on a bike. Honest to God, what the hell us going on?

With the amount of gun violence we have in the USA, it was inevitable that someone with a tangential connection to a former president would eventually be a victim. At this point I don't think it can be assumed there is anything more "going on" than that here. 

17 minutes ago, Ormond said:

With the amount of gun violence we have in the USA, it was inevitable that someone with a tangential connection to a former president would eventually be a victim. At this point I don't think it can be assumed there is anything more "going on" than that here. 

The story has gotten publicity, I think, because he was Bush's doctor, but I was actually thinking about one bicyclist gunning down another. What did he do, cut him off in the bike lane"

Oh my, Sanders has just announced that Trump is looking at how to pull the security clearances of all former White House and other personnel who have dared to write books or appear on CNN in interviews, because they have "monetized" their security clearances. Not just Brennan, but Comey and every other intelligence person under Obama.

Archived