Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot in the works

Werthead

On 1/31/2019 at 12:26 AM, The Mother of The Others said:

I remember thinking season 8 would be the last of those.   

Awww, Xander.  That'd be good.  For nicky and the audience both.

I wonders if, as part of using the franchise rights, they could swing it so the new show receives the gift of all of Joss' old outtakes of the old vampires.  You know what i'm saying?  Old footage of them saying lines we maybe never heard them say?!   Then, try to write those into relevance and use them as present day flashes instead of the usual flashbacks.  Strangely defeating the aged vampire problem?  Eh.

Yeah.  The slayer line went through faithy during seasons 6 and 7 instead of through B., but then all Potentials got called up to the slayer ranks now so no special origin story for this new girl is needed.  Like she wouldn't require the slayers we love to be dead, nor would she have to have mystic family ties to them, etc.  If gellar could be moved, i'd save her for the really big threat at the culmination of season 2 or 3, when all the garden variety slayers were feeling overmatched.

A lot of that is going around i see.  Huh.   I always loved the law firm, the darla and dru stuff, pylea, the puppet show, and now dammit i finally realized that the plan was to have wesley survive because his contract with WR&H extended after death like lylah's did, and Illyria and him would have more chances to be a couple as she learned to do the human thing and let herself be guided by the memories of Winifred.  More Angel, please, universe!

As for not liking buffy season 1, i got over that.  The last rewatch i loved season 1 more than ever.  Season 2 always gets the nod for best, and i blame season 3's sad wannabe boyfriend for why it can't quite compete with 2 on rewatches.

I just found the characters and plots more interesting, however I do really like season 2 of Buffy mainly because Angelus :wub:.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:41 PM, Werthead said:

There is 0 chance that the comics will remain canon if the new TV series moves ahead and is indeed a next-generation deal. The comics have quite a lot of complex, dense mythology and honouring that whilst bringing in new viewers and the 99.99% of the established fanbase from 20 years ago who have not read the comic is going to be a complete non-starter. Saying the comics are canon is a marketing trick from when it appeared that there was no chance of the show coming back.

As for the nature of the comic book storylines, Buffy's wasn't based on any previous material: Season 7 was going to be where the show ended regardless, so they never came up with serious plans for Season 8 at the time. However, Angel's sixth season was in the early planning stages when the axe fell, so they did have some clear ideas about what they wanted to do with the following season. The big difference with the After the Fall stuff is that they actually showed LA in Hell and Angel riding the dragon, which was stuff they'd never have the budget for in the show.

Angel rides a dragon?, ffs not another secret Targaryen :P.

Hum, so fans get outraged, over the remake of a series based on a movie from 1992?

Well, no-one gave a shit about the movie. It wasn't that great, although the premise hold promise when the TV series more than delivered on.

The TV show then became, on occasion, the best thing on television during its airing, it was hugely influential in how it upended assumptions on TV show formats (such as the show having a sizeable male fanbase despite its mainly female cast), it essentially created (or at least adapted from the prior, more tedious Anne Rice paradigm) the modern supernatural genre which gave us everything from The Dresden Files to True Blood to Twilight (although it was and remains superior to all of those) and it was almost uniquely tonally variable, able to spin from light comedy to romance to intense character drama to flat-out tragedy to (er) musical in the space of a couple of episodes.

It certainly wasn't perfect and it went through phases when it was very variable in quality week to week, but it was quite an impressive and influential show. It's unsurprising that people have mixed feelings over the idea of a reboot, whether it's a continuation or remake.

37 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

It was good. Never got the point of  Ben, though, in season 5. He had absolutely no connection to the plot...

If I'm remembering the character correctly he had a very important part to play in the plot

wasn't he the only way of killing the big bad bad? And it raised the question if killing someone who was innocent to save the world. That plus the fun mid season surprise.

I'm with others in this being a very important show where it's clear others took techniques and copied into their own shows (CW is a prime suspect with supernatural, arrowverse, Veronica mars etc). They pretty much pioneered the season arc with monster if the week episodes (Babylon 5 and x-files had played with the idea but one was more "overall story and not really episodic" and the other was "we string together arcs out of single episodes") in a way thst kept you interested week to week but also allowed for a show refresh each season rather than the same old adversaries. And they definitely ran with the concept allowing them to do all kinds of fun and entertaining "stunt" epidodes.

Even if it hasn't aged so well (i still enjoyed it very much when i rewatched 8 years ago) it is a key show in the evolution of modern TV.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

If I'm remembering the character correctly he had a very important part to play in the plot

Reveal hidden contents

wasn't he the only way of killing the big bad bad? And it raised the question if killing someone who was innocent to save the world. That plus the fun mid season surprise.

So, you're saying that Ben and Glory are connected in some way?

3 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

So, you're saying that Ben and Glory are connected in some way?

I think i might be forgetting the names of characters if Ben isn't

glory's twin

. Ben must be very forgetful otherwise :)

edit: but not as forgetful as me!

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

Well, no-one gave a shit about the movie. It wasn't that great, although the premise hold promise when the TV series more than delivered on.

The TV show then became, on occasion, the best thing on television during its airing, it was hugely influential in how it upended assumptions on TV show formats (such as the show having a sizeable male fanbase despite its mainly female cast), it essentially created (or at least adapted from the prior, more tedious Anne Rice paradigm) the modern supernatural genre which gave us everything from The Dresden Files to True Blood to Twilight (although it was and remains superior to all of those) and it was almost uniquely tonally variable, able to spin from light comedy to romance to intense character drama to flat-out tragedy to (er) musical in the space of a couple of episodes.

It certainly wasn't perfect and it went through phases when it was very variable in quality week to week, but it was quite an impressive and influential show. It's unsurprising that people have mixed feelings over the idea of a reboot, whether it's a continuation or remake.

I'd disagree with True Blood to be honest, it had much better production, special effects and could get away with much more as it was an adult show, the first 3 seasons of that were pretty good, after that it went downhill fast.

I'd have loved to have had an HBO version of Angel!.

30 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

I'd disagree with True Blood to be honest, it had much better production, special effects and could get away with much more as it was an adult show, the first 3 seasons of that were pretty good, after that it went downhill fast

Yes, but the writing, dialogue and characterisation in True Blood was only ever adequate, at best, and the plotting and storytelling was never remotely on Buffy's level. True Blood kind of revelled in its blood and nudity to the point where it seriously detracted from the storytelling (some of the same sensibility, unfortunately, also infused GoT, but not quite to the same degree).

7 hours ago, red snow said:

I think i might be forgetting the names of characters if Ben isn't

Reveal hidden contents

glory's twin

. Ben must be very forgetful otherwise :)

edit: but not as forgetful as me!

So you're saying that Ben has...some connection to Glory?

16 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

So you're saying that Ben has...some connection to Glory?

Now you are messing with my memory! Ben is who I thought he was and as such he was connected to the season 5 plot in a fundamental way unlike derfel's claim. Not sure why I'm putting things in spoilers to be honest.

8 minutes ago, red snow said:

Now you are messing with my memory! Ben is who I thought he was and as such he was connected to the season 5 plot in a fundamental way unlike derfel's claim. Not sure why I'm putting things in spoilers to be honest.

I was going to post a link to a clip, but I can't remember why now...

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Ben has a fundamental connection to the plot? But that would mean...is Ben somehow related to Glory?

19 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yes, but the writing, dialogue and characterisation in True Blood was only ever adequate, at best, and the plotting and storytelling was never remotely on Buffy's level. True Blood kind of revelled in its blood and nudity to the point where it seriously detracted from the storytelling (some of the same sensibility, unfortunately, also infused GoT, but not quite to the same degree).

To be fair though Whedon is a much better writer and that’s going to show, unfortunately the books True Blood were loosely based on are awful source material so I think they did a fairly decent job, it just got too ridiculous after the 3rd or 4rh Season, overall though I prefer it to Buffy but I prefer Angel to both of them :D.

Season 5 was much better than I remembered, better than Season 4 (which I'd previously found fairly enjoyable, but on this rewatch the thinness of the main story arc becomes much more apparent). Entering Season 6, the question arises (from the "broke Buffy" arc) on why Giles is paid a salary by the Watchers' Council but not the Slayer herself. In fact, it seems quite weird that the Slayer wouldn't be paid and maintained by the Council, because she needs to dedicate herself 100% to saving the world, especially since it appears that under normal (non-Hellmouthy) circumstances the Slayer travels all over the world constantly to where the danger is, which makes holding down a full time job impossible.

There are very strong inferences in both Season 3 (Wesley calling it "the Watchers' Council of Britain") and Season 5 (when Travers says he can revoke Giles's visa in a heartbeat) that the Watchers' Council is funded by the British government, so funding should not be an issue. Odd.

I get it now - Ben is Glory and Glory is Ben! Still said that the girl had to go, though. Gods should not die.

Although those weirdo knights were just silly.

The issue with season 4 is that Adam enters the game this late, and thus the overall threat of the Initiative thing is not really played out. The entire Frankenstein and evil parents/mothers angle they had there with Giles vs. Walsh was short-circuited by her sudden death, too. There was too great a focus on the new personal situations/new characters instead of bringing along the story arc. Not to mention that I, of course, thought that the watchers would be behind the Initiative. They were the shadowy guys behind the scenes, so when a giant snakes causes the government to do something, they would surely bring in people who actually knew stuff already.

Them failing to explore the entire 'Ripper side' of Giles' character in later seasons was also a huge letdown. Or at least move him in some capacity to the college.

Can't really get over the 'magic is a drug' angle. That did not just come from nowhere, it is also a very silly plot line. Up until season 6 nobody has addiction issues with magic. And magic works completely different in season 5 when Willow repeatedly attacks Glory.

The idea to create an evil Willow was great as such - but if you have a witch and magic then explore what strong magical powers actually do to a human person, how such powers can be used to do good and ugly things. Willow crossing lines trying to become a 'better Buffy', a woman who actually can change the world rather than just fighting the bad guys would have been a much better story. They do that, in part, with the memory charm gone wrong, etc. - and, of course, there is the Jasmine plot later in the 4th season of Angel, but junkie Willow always makes me cringe.

Archived