Watch, Watched, Watching: That last thread... forget about it completely. It doesn't matter.

RedEyedGhost

2 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I’m surprised by the roundly negative reaction to Disenchantment. I enjoyed it myself, though admittedly it’s not as funny as I expected it to be.

The theme music is great but it feels like it spread a brilliant episode of jokes over a half season. Luckily there's 1 or 2 jokes that land each episode to keep me on board. 

It just feels decidedly safe for a fantasy setting. Part of me wonders whether it's because they can have the main characters indulge in drugs, sex etc while the Simpsons and Futurama had to come up with inventive ways to do so eg Bender needs to drink beer to function. Hopefully it grows in confidence as the writers and actors get used to the characters.

But I wouldn't say it's a bad show at all. Although weirdly I prefer "final space" which despite its flaws takes more chances.

Spike Lee's latest -- BlacKkKlansman, based on the historic 1970's experience of Ron Stallworth's strange trip of infiltering the local KKK and punking David Duke.  This sounds funny, and there are comic bits as well as other elements that one expects from a Spike Lee film.

Ultimately it's tragic.  Because all that shyte from back then has now taken over the country.

It gets very listening to the feckless yet murderous klan members' endless spew of racial hatred, directed, in those more innocent times, only toward Jews and Blacks.  It makes the viewer see what utterly miserable pos they are -- they have nothing in their heads but this.

Beyond that, however, the film was quite different from what the reviews led me, at least, to expect -- in a good way.

The Real Ron Stallworth speaks:

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

The theme music is great but it feels like it spread a brilliant episode of jokes over a half season. Luckily there's 1 or 2 jokes that land each episode to keep me on board. 

It just feels decidedly safe for a fantasy setting. Part of me wonders whether it's because they can have the main characters indulge in drugs, sex etc while the Simpsons and Futurama had to come up with inventive ways to do so eg Bender needs to drink beer to function. Hopefully it grows in confidence as the writers and actors get used to the characters.

But I wouldn't say it's a bad show at all. Although weirdly I prefer "final space" which despite its flaws takes more chances.

I agree -- it may be mildly entertaining, but it is consistently and reliably so, and the eps are short thus perfect for spending time that is too short to do anything useful, but too long to twiddle one's thumbs.  :cheers:

36 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Spike Lee's latest -- BlacKkKlansman, based on the historic 1970's experience of Ron Stallworth's strange trip of infiltering the local KKK and punking David Duke.  This sounds funny, and there are comic bits as well as other elements that one expects from a Spike Lee film.

Ultimately it's tragic.  Because all that shyte from back then has now taken over the country.

It gets very listening to the feckless yet murderous klan members' endless spew of racial hatred, directed, in those more innocent times, only toward Jews and Blacks.  It makes the viewer see what utterly miserable pos they are -- they have nothing in their heads but this.

Beyond that, however, the film was quite different from what the reviews led me, at least, to expect -- in a good way.

The Real Ron Stallworth speaks:

I'm really looking forward to watching this actually. Looks kinda great. 

8 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Just saw Christopher Robin in the cinema and it was absolutely lovely. 

So glad to hear that I'm looking forward to seeing this!

20 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I'm really looking forward to watching this actually. Looks kinda great. 

Me too. Sounds like maybe if I watch BlacKKKlansman though, afterwards that's when I should watch Christopher Robin as a palette cleanser. Some sweet sentimentality if I need to get away from some bitterness.

Right now I'm watching Nurse Jackie on Netflix. Don't have Showtime so I've never watched it before. I'm on season 2 and enjoying it.

Letting Better Call Saul get a few more episodes out so I can binge watch a few at once before I start S4.

21 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

So glad to hear that I'm looking forward to seeing this!

Me too. Sounds like maybe if I watch BlacKKKlansman though, afterwards that's when I should watch Christopher Robin as a palette cleanser. Some sweet sentimentality if I need to get away from some bitterness.

Right now I'm watching Nurse Jackie on Netflix. Don't have Showtime so I've never watched it before. I'm on season 2 and enjoying it.

Letting Better Call Saul get a few more episodes out so I can binge watch a few at once before I start S4.

5 mins in to Christopher Robin and I was already crying lol. Very emotional and lovely. 

I saw Goodbye Christopher Robin a couple of weeks ago, via dvd.  Odd that two CR films come out in sequence within less than 12 months, both focused, really, on adults.

BlacKkKlansman has a terrific look -- the costume people did a terrific job recreating those back-in-day wardrobes for the various types of characters.  Of course, all the students in the Black Student Union were groomed and dressed and jewelried with a sleekness and expensive patina that they certainly didn't have then -- just look at clips of Angela Davis and Kathleen Cleaver.  They were damned cool women and looked it -- but not like in the movies, particularly when represented by the body types and looks that are what are expected of women now.

I was particularly struck though, by the appearance of the males -- how they got the types and what they'd wear, what their hair would be, in that part of the world at that particular time.  Really well done.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Yeah I generally agree, That said, regarding the bolded section, i think this is true, but you have to give the show a bit of time to find it's voice. As you pointed out, this is a somewhat new arena for MG et al., and I'm sure they're still trying to find their footing. Season 2 is already in the works, so hopefully they can figure it out.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

I agree -- it may be mildly entertaining, but it is consistently and reliably so, and the eps are short thus perfect for spending time that is too short to do anything useful, but too long to twiddle one's thumbs.  :cheers:

We need more shows that fill this niche!

4 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Yeah I generally agree, That said, regarding the bolded section, i think this is true, but you have to give the show a bit of time to find it's voice. As you pointed out, this is a somewhat new arena for MG et al., and I'm sure they're still trying to find their footing. Season 2 is already in the works, so hopefully they can figure it out.

The good thing is Netflix will probably give the show time to grow an audience as it knows how well watched the Simpsons and Futurama back catalogues are. We need more of the donkey police and playing around with fantasy species/cultures. It's odd as elfos introduction was great with the all singing cheery elves and the hanging in the first episode. I guess their focus is on establishing the Princess first and foremost in these first episodes. 

Still watching Sharp Objects on HBO, finale is next week. Easily my favorite show on right now, not even close. Drama set in the south, murder, small town... great acting and writing and suspense and little clues and items that if you blink you miss them.

I have been watching This is Us and it has been such a lovely ride...

In general, I adore American family dramas. As kid, I watched 7th Heaven, not understanding life's intricacies back then. Then I remember Gilmore girls, Brothers & Sisters and Parenthood but this one, this takes the cake. I absolutely enjoy it. 

Given that I am sucker for these soapy dramas, I expect to enjoy it as much as I can... :D

22 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Just saw Christopher Robin in the cinema and it was absolutely lovely. 

I went to go see this last night and it was sold out :( was rather disappointed, but felt even worse for the mother beside me at the kiosk who wanted tickets corn her and her daughter. The little girl started crying when she heard there was no tickets left, poor girl

10 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I went to go see this last night and it was sold out :( was rather disappointed, but felt even worse for the mother beside me at the kiosk who wanted tickets corn her and her daughter. The little girl started crying when she heard there was no tickets left, poor girl

It was absolutely PACKED when I went. Lucky I didn’t have to book tickets but almost every seat was filled 

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

Still watching Sharp Objects on HBO, finale is next week. Easily my favorite show on right now, not even close. Drama set in the south, murder, small town... great acting and writing and suspense and little clues and items that if you blink you miss them.

I agree. Far more satisfying fare from HBO than Westworld season 2. Suggests they are still at their best with non SFF fare 

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It was absolutely PACKED when I went. Lucky I didn’t have to book tickets but almost every seat was filled 

I thought after a few days it might have been a bit quieter but not yet! I don’t like crowded screenings so i’ll Maybe wait a week or so before I try again

58 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I thought after a few days it might have been a bit quieter but not yet! I don’t like crowded screenings so i’ll Maybe wait a week or so before I try again

I know some people who hated it and found it miserable and gloomy but I really really loved it 

Archived