Watch, Watched, Watching: That last thread... forget about it completely. It doesn't matter.

RedEyedGhost

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched the first like 4 episodes of Freakshow and hated it. An ex liked Hotel so I caught some of that one and didn’t like it at all. At this point I’ll just take a watchable season. 

I was so disappointed in Hotel because I LOVED the music and loved some of the general concept but in execution I hated it. 

Watched LA Confidential last night. Thought it was brilliant. It's been on my list for like ten years and just never got around to watching it. Spacey's four year run in the 90's of Usual Suspects, Se7en, LA Confidential and American Beauty is impressive. Thought Guy Pearce was good, too, along with Crowe. 8.2/10.

Watched Pitch Perfect 2 with the wife tonight. Had its funny moments, in particular with Rebel Wilson. I don;t think the songs were as good as the first. Like a 6.2/10.

Late night watch: The Ritual, from Netflix. Solid movie. A little creepy at times, and the cast was decent. Worth a watch if you're looking for a lukewarm scary movie. 6.8/10.

19 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched the first like 4 episodes of Freakshow and hated it. An ex liked Hotel so I caught some of that one and didn’t like it at all. At this point I’ll just take a watchable season. 

And the sad thing is, those 4 episodes were the good ones, compared to what came after.
You were lucky to jump ship early - Freak Show deteriorated into a complete mess the more the season went.

Just finished Season 1 of Disenchantment. Enjoyed it and found it very watchable, though different to Futurama and The Simpsons. I'm probably the ideal target market since I've been following Order of the Stick for years. It's not original on the whole, but it is likeable in an off-colour way. Looking forward to Season 2 whenever it lands. 

Finished season two of Luke Cage.  I think that, generally, I liked it more than the first season.  It felt like the story kept moving pretty well and didn't seem to be as padded out as these Marvel shows tend to be.  I thought Bushmaster was a great villain...one with a reasonable, believable motive who wasn't just evil for the sake of being evil like a lot of bad guys tend to be in comics.  I also thought the season ended really well with a nice hook to set up season three.  It definitely made me want to see the next act of this story, as several characters are in very interesting positions moving forward.

Only thing I didn't really like was the development of Tilda's character, as the place she ended up didn't seem entirely in character, even if it was at least interesting for the future of the series.

Saw "Crazy Rich Asians" this weekend and it was enjoyable.  The book has a lot of cultural details in it from food to architecture to fashion and I enjoyed seeing these brought to life on the big screen.  Normally with a rom-com like this I wouldn't feel the need to see it on the big screen but there are so many rich details in every scene that this is the rare exception.  Boy did the food look delicious!  The book makes use of social media in the story for the spread of gossip around the globe and I liked how the movie visually represented that. All in all an enjoyable fun movie.

I've also been binging the most recent season of "Younger". Strangely I don't get the TVland channel but I can watch the show on demand for free.  This season has been thoroughly enjoyable. I love that they brought their version of GRRM - Edward L.L. Moore author of the best selling fantasy series The Crown of Kings - back for another episode.  Even if they are nothing alike except for being fantasy authors with double middle initials! 

11 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

I gave the first few episodes of Fauda a shot and was pretty impressed.  Modern day Israel / Palestine grizzly stuff, and so far seems like it's trying to show it in all it's bleakness without taking sides.  Going to keep going. 

I enjoyed it. I have yet to start season 2 and am curious as to how they handle the story going forward.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:17 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Anyone watching The Innocents on Netflix? I'm looking for a new series and it looks somewhat interesting

I'm hoping to start after the bank holiday weekend is over and Ive seen the sharp objects finale. It's been receiving good reviews and I'm curious how a British show for Netflix works. 

Knightfall is quite bad. I find it hard to give it my full attention. There was that one bit with the princess at the end of the ?fourth ?fifth ep where it all went a bit ASOIAF and I was thinking, yes, finally it's going to kick off! But then the next ep it was all back to trudging painfully along. 

The acting and writing are fairly mediocre. I'm interested in the storyline though so I'll persevere a bit longer. 

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm hoping to start after the bank holiday weekend is over and Ive seen the sharp objects finale. It's been receiving good reviews and I'm curious how a British show for Netflix works. 

We watched 7 of 8 episodes over the weekend. Pretty good show. A ton more they can do with this premise in future seasons.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watching some classic Simpsons episodes. Seasons 3-8 really were some of the best tv ever. 

Did this several months ago.  Just so many classic episodes in those seasons.  I'd even stretch it to almost season ten.

On 8/27/2018 at 6:31 PM, Nictarion said:

Watching some classic Simpsons episodes. Seasons 3-8 really were some of the best tv ever. 

I miss Phil Hartman. :(

21 hours ago, briantw said:

Did this several months ago.  Just so many classic episodes in those seasons.  I'd even stretch it to almost season ten.

3-8 is probably peak, but 2-10 is still legit. There are some gems after that, but they are few and far between. I still check out the Halloween episodes though.

If anyone wants to watch their favorite episodes, the entire series is on Xfinity on demand right now for free. I've been going through and watching the classics. Still not sure which one is my favorite, because every time I think I do I find another one I adore. 

Finished watching Disenchantment.  It really did get swinging a whole more by the end.

However, maybe what I liked best about the series is that it has a New Orleans second line theme soundtrack.

Finished Season 8 of Shameless. It wasn't quite as good as some other seasons but it gave me the fix I was looking for, so I didn't mind.

Watched Hostiles as well. Decent acting, okay plot. I think this was supposed to be a Best Picture kind of film but it didn't live up to those expectations.

Making my way through Season 2 of Black Sails now and trying to finish at least this season before Ozark S2 gets released tomorrow.

Watched season 1 of Disenchantment, from Matt Groenig.  Funny bits here and there, and then heavy on arc in the last couple of episodes.

Who attacked Luci?  Given his "You? No!" I want to believe it was Demandred.

Just finished season 1 of the good place. Surprising how clever this is for what is essentially a traditional sitcom. Just shows what you can do with the format if imaginative. The twist was the kind that makes you retroactively rethink every scene

and meant Ted Danson was doing some incredible work throughout as seeing some scenes again actually highlighted what the character was actually thinking.

Archived