Watch, Watched, Watching: That last thread... forget about it completely. It doesn't matter.

RedEyedGhost

52 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

I don't think there actually was musical montage in Mayans first episode, but I guess the might be saving it for a full musical montage episode.

We can only hope. The Mayans musical would make a great episode.

Bosch.  Up through third episode of third season.  Classy tv, which, yah, based on best selling author, produced and run 9 (and written sometimes) by Eric Overmeyer and and Connelly (author of the source material, none of which books have I read), early in amazon original streaming efforts = loads of money.  For me though, what makes it is Titus Welliver as the title character.  I've never read the books but Welliver makes the perfect, sad, lifer LAPD homicide detective, with a whole lot of living and story under his cop belt.  I don't often like these sorts of shows, but like The Wire, Bosch is another of the exceptions.

Netflix on a good roll at the moment. Both American Vandal Season 2 and The Dragon Prince Season 1 (from the makers of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra) hit next Friday.

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

Netflix on a good roll at the moment. Both American Vandal Season 2 and The Dragon Prince Season 1 (from the makers of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra) hit next Friday.

How have I only just heard of the dragon prince? Been looking forward to whatever the airbender team were up to next. The animation looks gorgeous.

The trailer for American vandal season 2 is solid as well. I hope they can maintain the quality of first season.

I saw Searching out at movie theaters. I really enjoyed it. The plot wasn't too special, though it had some decent twists. John Cho was quite good, when he was actually on screen. The thing about the movie is that it entirely takes place on computer and phone screens, there's not a single standard camera shot in the entire movie. And it actually works really well, better than Unfriended did a few years ago.

I watched Mission Impossible : Fallout. It was fun, although it followed exactly the same formula as the previous Mission Impossible films, while I don't expect originality from this sort of film I feel they could try a little bit harder to vary the plot lines. Cruise gets to do his usual array of insane stunts, and I thought Henry Cavill put in a better performance here than he does in the DC films.

I also watched King Arthur : Legend of the Sword on streaming TV, sometimes I feel like watching films to see whether they really are as terrible as they are reputed to be. It was one of those films where I have to wonder how it ever got made. I know this is hardly the first adaptation of Arthurian legend to abandon most of the original story, but this might be the silliest. The opening where Mordred attacks Camelot using Godzilla-sized elephants was particularly inexplicable. It also has the Sword in the Stone scene featuring David Beckham giving Arthur advice on how to draw the sword. There's also a plot point where Arthur learns to fight from 'Chinese George' who runs a Kung Fu school in Londinium. The acting was either wooden (Charlie Hunman's Arthur) or scenery-chewing (Jude Law's Vortigern). I've liked some of Guy Ritchie's recent films, but this one failed on every level.

I am really enjoying Man At Arms - Art of War on the History Channel, far more than I expected to. There is some really nice footage of the work in the forge/metal shop to create these weapons, plus you get all of this historical context for the pairs of weapons they have chosen. It's pretty cool seeing the weapons experts/stunt people get excited to try them out too. And the icing on the cake is always Danny Trejo and his classic bad guy laugh.

And next week it's the Mongol composite bow. I've been excited to see how they are going to make this one since I first started watching the show.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:53 AM, dbunting said:

I almost watched this on Monday. Watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High instead. @SpaceForce Tywin et al. it's not a true comedy but it's funny and has THE iconic 80's movie scene!

Seen both, love both.

Started Ozarks w/ the wife.  Really like it after 1 episode, will definitely be continuing the series.

Also started Norsemen, which was on my list after watching The Last Kingdom.  Came in expecting another serious fantasy/alt-history and was laughing pretty hard within the first few minutes.  Pretty ridiculous stuff and I think it's done really well.  

BBC "bodyguard" has been very good so far with plenty of "they didn't just do that" moments and some really tense action sequences.

Just watched "a quiet place" and can understand the positive reviews. Interesting to watch a film that is largely silent or signed 

31 minutes ago, red snow said:

BBC "bodyguard" has been very good so far with plenty of "they didn't just do that" moments and some really tense action sequences.

I've only watched ep. 1,but yeah,it's pretty good.Waiting for the finale so i can binge the whole thing.:)

The BBC has put up the first 17 minutes of  episode 1 on youtube,in case anyone here wants to check it out.

Finally watched the fifth and final series of Merlin. 

It's odd - it has all the manifold flaws of the previous four series, present and correct. At the same time it was lovely to watch, lovely to look at: the Renaissance-inspired colour palate of jewel tones and shadows has always felt as if my optic nerves were being given a massage and a bunch of flowers. 

I watched the first couple of seasons while I was teaching abroad. I remember being very homesick, coming down with a nasty case of laryngitis, and sitting in front of a cheap netbook, wrapped in a blanket and holding a cup of hot strawberry-flavoured milk tea. I started to stream E01S01 of Merlin, and it was just what I needed at the time. 

I think I've been putting off watching the fifth season - it would feel like drawing a line under something. Especially poignant was hearing John Hurt as the voice of the dragon. 

Finished Ozark S2. On par, if not slightly better than the first season. I'm glad they wrapped things up without a major cliffhanger and with just enough loose strings to head into Season 3 with some fresh storylines. I particularly liked that they 

Spoiler

killed off the FBI agent. I generally did not like his character or his story in general. I'll miss Jacob Snell too but I suppose it was time to move on without him in order to keep from retreading the same old conflict for a third season.

Just like last season, Julia Garner was undoubtedly the highlight for me and I hope she gets some recognition for her performance.

Now I guess I'll move on to Jack Ryan.

13 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I've only watched ep. 1,but yeah,it's pretty good.Waiting for the finale so i can binge the whole thing.:)

The BBC has put up the first 17 minutes of  episode 1 on youtube,in case anyone here wants to check it out.

That opening is like a mini movie in itself. I watched the first 4 back to back so can see the appeal of waiting to binge. It's also less likely spoilers will emerge due to it just being a BBC show and not Dr who or a soap. But there's a lot to potentially spoil so be careful while waiting.

On 8/22/2018 at 2:22 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

The Affair season 4 episode 9 just emotionally destroyed me. 

It's an interesting series isn't it, it definitely has some pull on me even though this is not what I typically go for.

BTW you were right on "Beast" great film and setting.

On 9/5/2018 at 3:28 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

Finished it earlier today, and loved it all the way through.  I was very pleasantly surprised at how much humor was interspersed.  Wendell Pierce was fantastic from the very first scene, and John Krasinski did a great job too.  I do wish that the season was longer.

Thanks for mentioning this Jack Ryan show, I will check that out. Other new shows on my radar are Yellowstone, Castle Rock, Sharp Objects, Bodyguard and soon, Discovery of Witches.

On 9/8/2018 at 9:18 PM, Zorral said:

Bosch.  Up through third episode of third season.  Classy tv, which, yah, based on best selling author, produced and run 9 (and written sometimes) by Eric Overmeyer and and Connelly (author of the source material, none of which books have I read), early in amazon original streaming efforts = loads of money.  For me though, what makes it is Titus Welliver as the title character.  I've never read the books but Welliver makes the perfect, sad, lifer LAPD homicide detective, with a whole lot of living and story under his cop belt.  I don't often like these sorts of shows, but like The Wire, Bosch is another of the exceptions.

This is a surprisingly good show and as you say, Titus Welliver is just superb in it, he makes this show.

Supporting characters are good though.

UK TV doing quite well at moment. "Stranger" was interesting (although maybe could have done with a back to back episode to truly hook and Hugo Blick's "black earth rising" was also brilliantly shot with strong performances and a tease of things to come.

Also watched "Jumanji:welcome to the jungle" and found it quite fun. The cast had a lot of fun with the bodyswapping and there was enough elements of 90s games lore to suggest this wasn't anywhere near as lazy as it could have been.

Also as part of a Dwayne Johnson binge I watched "skyscraper". Really stupid but was the closest thing to an 80s/90s era action film I've seen in a while

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

It's an interesting series isn't it, it definitely has some pull on me even though this is not what I typically go for.

BTW you were right on "Beast" great film and setting.

Thanks for mentioning this Jack Ryan show, I will check that out. Other new shows on my radar are Yellowstone, Castle Rock, Sharp Objects, Bodyguard and soon, Discovery of Witches.

This is a surprisingly good show and as you say, Titus Welliver is just superb in it, he makes this show.

Supporting characters are good though.

Glad you enjoyed Beast! I think I’ll buy the dvd. 

And yeah - what do you think of season 4? I tthink it was quite brilliant at times even though season 3 was trash. 

On 9/10/2018 at 2:41 PM, dog-days said:

Finally watched the fifth and final series of Merlin. 

It's odd - it has all the manifold flaws of the previous four series, present and correct. At the same time it was lovely to watch, lovely to look at: the Renaissance-inspired colour palate of jewel tones and shadows has always felt as if my optic nerves were being given a massage and a bunch of flowers. 

I watched the first couple of seasons while I was teaching abroad. I remember being very homesick, coming down with a nasty case of laryngitis, and sitting in front of a cheap netbook, wrapped in a blanket and holding a cup of hot strawberry-flavoured milk tea. I started to stream E01S01 of Merlin, and it was just what I needed at the time. 

I think I've been putting off watching the fifth season - it would feel like drawing a line under something. Especially poignant was hearing John Hurt as the voice of the dragon. 

This is a lovely tribute to the series.  It would be so appreciated by those who made it.

Archived