US Politics: Crossing that Ford

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, David Selig said:

Btw, I had no idea the Senate is such a geronthocracy, there are currently 18 members 75 years old or older, and they are in charge of nearly all committees, this is almost like the Brezhnev era Politburo. 

Remember what happened to the Brezhnev Politburo. They dropped like flies until Gorbachev came along. 

I feel bad for Dr. Ford, all she went through today followed by that disgusting Republican brodown and likely a circling of the wagons to push Kav through. There should be a sustained protest every day of his career, harass this fucker outside of his office, in public spaces, make everyday of his cushy lifetime appointment a chore. A bad man, propped up by other bad men. It’s bad men all the way down.

Well, if they made any plans, Manchin isn't talking...

Meanwhile...

An optimistic viewpoint would be that he's a no vote and wants his colleagues to hear it from him, not the press. But it's hard to be an optimist when it comes to Republicans doing the right thing.

Just now, Fez said:

An optimistic viewpoint would be that he's a no vote and wants his colleagues to hear it from him, not the press. But it's hard to be an optimist when it comes to Republicans doing the right thing.

Feel like that's unlikely. He made a decision fairly quickly.

Kavanaugh’s Testimony Was a Master Class in American Male Entitlement

https://www.thecut.com/2018/09/kavanaugh-hearing-testimony-male-entitlement.html

His opening statement was, more than anything, a performance — and one that seemed to be clearly directed at his (white, male) Republican supporters. The threat it delivered: Imagine how you’d feel if — or when you were in my position.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Feel like that's unlikely. He made a decision fairly quickly.

Agreed. But if he actually did watch all eight hours of the hearing, and alone at that, it means he was taking the issue seriously; rather than being a hack about it. Odds are he did end up in the same place anyway, but who knows?

Judiciary Republicans' personal information published during Kavanaugh hearing

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/27/kavanaugh-hearing-republicans-doxed-850279

The personal information of several Republican senators who sit on the Senate Judiciary Committee was published online in the middle of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's testimony before the panel Thursday.

The information — including home addresses, phone numbers, and personal email addresses — appeared on the Wikipedia pages of Sens. Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee of Utah, and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina.

Still trying to figure out how a guy about to be in the highest court in the land being asked questions about alleged sexual assault is this grievous travesty of justice. Absent all the rest, absent the fact that Graham did NOT lose control because of how Kavanaugh was being treated...he has been making versions of the same speech to reporters all day, even before any testimony...just in isolation, how is that not the absolute minumum, let alone ‘greatest sham in American political history’?

Anyways, trying to look at the positives, and watching a bunch old old white guys apologize to an alleged sexual assaulter old white guy for having to answer questions about the allegations at least gave me this sense that there are things you can count on in this crazy world. How long until he’s confirmed? And, I mean, more silver linings, if you are accused of sexual assault you can now expect your ‘virgin!’ defense to receive support all the way to the top. 

Anyways, if people want to revisit the shining city on a hill discussion, I might be a bit worn out tonight. 

31 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

What century are you from? No, sounds fun, actually. I wish I could unplug until this is over.

Necessary.  People are triggered all over and have been all the time since the orange nazi's declaration.

However, anyone who wants to know what movie to watch tonight, it is (yah, Clint Eastwood! who is actually complex, unlike the posh lad entitlement culture of GP) The Unforgiven.  By serendipity or karma, it streams this month on netflix.

After today Kavanaugh's approval is going to harden (no pun intended).  Put it at 45-40 against.  Anyone wanna take the over/under?  And I do think if he's over 45 in disapproval OR under 40 in approval he's done.  Harriet Miers had far less problems than this.  The only reason it's tolerated is the GOP is terrified of losing the Senate.  Which is pathetic.  It means they're scared about Tennessee and Texas.

Why Won’t Democrats Move Left in the Suburbs?

They could win with more progressive candidates, but the leadership insists on cautious moderation.

https://newrepublic.com/article/151148/wont-democrats-move-left-suburbs

The implications are clear: The party, in all likelihood, could safely move left on economic issues and still win the suburbs—and with them, the House. But the party establishment seems to have drawn different conclusions. Democratic power brokers don’t seem to be debating whether their candidates would do better if they embraced more left-leaning fiscal policies. Instead, in these pivotal suburban swing districts, the party has consistently supported corporate-friendly candidates who can raise tons of money (often because they have personal networks of wealthy friends and business associates) and who present a “moderate” face to upscale suburban voters.

Some GOP governors call for delay of Kavanaugh vote pending investigation

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/408854-additional-gop-governors-call-for-delay-of-kavanaugh-vote-pending

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan’s position is notable given that, should an investigation into the allegations take place, it would largely occur in his state.

Archived