Professional Wrestling: Irish War Painting II

Samsaptakas

Just saw the news that WWE released 18 wrestlers.  A lot of them, I'd never heard of.  But they dropped Keith Lee and Karrion Kross as well as Nia Jax and Eva Marie.  

This came just after more reports of record earnings.  Going back a few posts ago, it does keep looking like Vince is stocking up on cash and dropping liabilities.  I might even start to believe the conspiracy theory that Vince's plan is to keep releasing expensive talent and wait for Khan/AEW to spend so much on them that they can't sustain.  :dunno:

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

I might even start to believe the conspiracy theory that Vince's plan is to keep releasing expensive talent and wait for Khan/AEW to spend so much on them that they can't sustain.  :dunno:

Wouldn't put it past him.  The key to WCW folding - other than the AOL/Time Warner merger of course -  was Bischoff handing out all those multimillion dollar guaranteed deals to geriatric stars.  I have no idea - is Khan/AEW shelling out a comparable amount to the big names?

55 minutes ago, DMC said:

Wouldn't put it past him.  The key to WCW folding - other than the AOL/Time Warner merger of course -  was Bischoff handing out all those multimillion dollar guaranteed deals to geriatric stars.  I have no idea - is Khan/AEW shelling out a comparable amount to the big names?

The Khans have money to burn, though.  I have to imagine that AEW is a drop in the bucket compared to what they make from owning an NFL team.

Daddy Khan is worth almost nine billion.  He could afford to piss away twenty years of AEW losses and it would be nothing to him.

Edited by briantw

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

Daddy Khan is worth almost nine billion.  He could afford to piss away twenty years of AEW losses and it would be nothing to him.

If AEW became the money loser WCW was at the end - which again, I have no idea if that's even really possible - I could definitely see Daddy Khan cutting bait.  If it was Tony who was worth $9 billion I'd agree, but...

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

If AEW became the money loser WCW was at the end - which again, I have no idea if that's even really possible - I could definitely see Daddy Khan cutting bait.  If it was Tony who was worth $9 billion I'd agree, but...

No doubt, but we’re at least a few years away from any chance of AEW going under, I’d think.  And probably a lot longer since it’s Tony’s passion project.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

No doubt, but we’re at least a few years away from any chance of AEW going under, I’d think.

Oh sure.  Hell, if we're comparing it to WCW, Bischoff started handing out those exorbitant deal with Nash and Hall, which was 5 years before Vince bought em.

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

My real question is why Vince is gift-wrapping performers like Lee and Moon to AEW.  Moon in particular would be a huge boon to AEW’s very mediocre women’s division.

I don't follow NXT, so its hard for me to understand sometimes the hype that guys like Keith Lee and Karrion Kross have... because they show up on Raw and they are so horribly misused.  I saw Kross' recent gimmick described as a "Dollar Store Super Shredder Costume" and I have no idea what the hell is up with Keith "Bearcat" Lee recently.

Just now, Rhom said:

I don't follow NXT, so its hard for me to understand sometimes the hype that guys like Keith Lee and Karrion Kross have... because they show up on Raw and they are so horribly misused.  I saw Kross' recent gimmick described as a "Dollar Store Super Shredder Costume" and I have no idea what the hell is up with Keith "Bearcat" Lee recently.

With Cross in particular it honestly seemed like deliberate sabotage.  They took away his cool entrance and didn’t keep him paired with his wife, who was a big part of his gimmick and part of why he was so over.

• 4 months later...

It sounds like Hall is in a very serious way, with talk of his life support being switched off.

Never cared much for him as a wrestler, but no doubt the NWO was the greatest influence in the direction the WWE went in to fight back, resulting in the greatest half decade of wrestling ever. 

Edit because I'm an exhausted wreck and I get names mixed up nowadays. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

You mean Scott Hall. Nash wrote a few hours ago that the family would likely take Hall off life support when they all arrive at the hospital. This really sucks. 

Scott Hall was easily one of my favorite wrestlers growing up. I saw him win the Intercontinental belt for the first time in like 1992 with my friends in Hartford, when he was Razor Ramon (against Rick Martel). Still a fond memory.

And of course the NWO days were great. I always loved him just basically getting his ass kicked during a whole match, but he would somehow win because Hogan or Nash would cheat and bail him out. 

I met him a few years ago when he was traveling with his son Cody(maybe like 2016). They had a wrestling event at a high school right by my house and I went and got a picture with him. He seemed really proud of his son. It was good to see. 

Also, The Razor’s Edge is still one of the best finishers ever.

46 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Also, The Razor’s Edge is still one of the best finishers ever.

Amen.

Scott Hall always cut a great promo.  I will still start a phone call with friends by saying "Hey yo..."  And if we have a question to ask "We're taking a little survey..."

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Sorry to hear.  Hall was probably the best wrestler of the modern era never to hold the strap.  Certainly the most influential one.

Yeah, he just got in a bit early.  I didn't watch wrestling for almost 20 years from the early 2000's until a year ago or so... so when I hear them talk about all the guys who had a title reign in there; it amazes me that a guy like Hall never did.

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah, he just got in a bit early.  I didn't watch wrestling for almost 20 years from the early 2000's until a year ago or so... so when I hear them talk about all the guys who had a title reign in there; it amazes me that a guy like Hall never did.

I think a lot of it was his substance abuse issues.  They made him tough for companies to trust.

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think a lot of it was his substance abuse issues.  They made him tough for companies to trust.

It wasn't surprising he never got it as Razor Ramon in WWF - he was a top midcarder/jobber to the stars.  It would be surprising he never got the strap in his initial NWO run...until you remember Hogan had a stranglehold on it for almost two years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I saw that Stone Cold ended up main eventing (night one of) Wrestlemania last night in an actual match with Kevin Owens.  What year is this?!?  I mean, it's not nearly as bad as Michaels tarnishing his retirement match with that tag team match in Saudi Arabia a few years back, but still.  Losing to Rock for the first time in their third WM match was a pretty perfect last match.  I guess I don't mind him having one last match with Owens 19 years later, but (1) maybe hype the actual match more - if I knew it was going to be a match I may well have watched/bought it - and (2) if you're gonna have this be your last match, maybe put Owens over.  I mean, Owens will still get rub for simply having a match with Austin, but if he won that would've been HUGE.  Only thing bigger would be breaking Taker's streak.

From reading recaps, sounds like Lynch/Belair stole the show and Rhodes/Rollins was really good.  Still find it hilarious Rhodes is back in WWE less than three years after AEW launched.

• 2 months later...