Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Who is this Ghost you speak of? Is it a new character? I have no recollection. 

But seriously, given the show's track record I hope we never see or hear about any direwolves. 

With any luck, he already has peaced out.  ;)

13 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Preach. Gods be good, I have no idea where in 7 hells that came from, but alas, seems we’re stuck w/ it. For now anyways.

I think a lot of it, at least with the show, comes from S6 and partially early S7. And I can actually understand that, in a way. Not that I support it but S6 was weird. IMO Kit and Sophie have chemistry. In some of their scenes the camera work was used in a way that is usually reserved for soon-to-be-couples or romantic interests. The close up of hand grabbing/holding. The Ned/Cat parallels. You usually don't use the 'do you like my dress followed by awkward guy stumbling with his words' unless it's a RomCom. But I don't remember many instances on screen where that was used for brother/sister. Usually the sibling in question would say they look beautiful or make sarcastic remarks or roll their eyes or something. Awkward guy reaction is usually in a romance or between love interests.

5 hours ago, Mystical said:

I think a lot of it, at least with the show, comes from S6 and partially early S7. And I can actually understand that, in a way. Not that I support it but S6 was weird. IMO Kit and Sophie have chemistry. In some of their scenes the camera work was used in a way that is usually reserved for soon-to-be-couples or romantic interests. The close up of hand grabbing/holding. The Ned/Cat parallels. You usually don't use the 'do you like my dress followed by awkward guy stumbling with his words' unless it's a RomCom. But I don't remember many instances on screen where that was used for brother/sister. Usually the sibling in question would say they look beautiful or make sarcastic remarks or roll their eyes or something. Awkward guy reaction is usually in a romance or between love interests.

But that's part of it. That scene was used to show off Clapton's designs and had nothing to do with character development. You really think the NW happened to have yards and yards of spare velvet, seed beads, shells beads, metallic thread lying around? Anyway, the point is that the show is not consistent within itself. At most it is showing Sansa is becoming a wolf again, and talking to another sibling wolf because as Ned say, the pack survives and Sansa and Arya being the same blood and all. Sansa and Jon are "of the same village". But I don't want this turning in to a shipping thread <-- get it :leer:, so I'll leave it there.

6 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

That scene was used to show off Clapton's designs and had nothing to do with character development.

Funnily I just watched a video about the S6 costumes and it mentioned that Clapton was not there for S6 (she went to work on The Crown I believe) until the last 2 episodes. So that can't be it. They've had another person doing the S6 costumes. It's not clear if this was Clapton's design or the work of the person who took over.

I'm watching one of Dragon Demands videos right now that he released yesterday about the scripts that were released end of last year, acting vs emoting, unaired pilot and so forth. It's truly baffling how inept D&D are. They write the script like a book not realizing that we can't see that in a visual medium. And the red flags were there since the unaired pilot. It's in the script that Tyrion fell in love with Dany in S6...what with the what? Where is that on screen? The Arya/Sansa nonsense of S7 that D&D constantly contradict themselves with and how different what's on screen and the script are. The Sansa rape of S5 that was not planned at all in S5, it actually set up FAKE ARYA (in Martin's script I believe). So it looks like they decided that between Seasons and didn't even tell GRRM. But doesn't that also contradict them saying they had planned that since S2? WTF is this shit?

Just now, Mystical said:

Funnily I just watched a video about the S6 costumes and it mentioned that Clapton was not there for S6 (she went to work on The Crown I believe) until the last 2 episodes. So that can't be it. They've had another person doing the S6 costumes. It's not clear if this was Clapton's design or the work of the person who took over.

I'm watching one of Dragon Demands videos right now that he released yesterday about the scripts that were released end of last year, acting vs emoting, unaired pilot and so forth. It's truly baffling how inept D&D are. They write the script like a book not realizing that we can't see that in a visual medium. And the red flags were there since the unaired pilot. It's in the script that Tyrion fell in love with Dany in S6...what with the what? Where is that on screen? The Arya/Sansa nonsense of S7 that D&D constantly contradict themselves with and how different what's on screen and the script are. The Sansa rape of S5 that was not planned at all in S5, it actually set up FAKE ARYA (in Martin's script I believe). So it looks like they decided that between Seasons and didn't even tell GRRM. But doesn't that also contradict them saying they had planned that since S2? WTF is this shit?

Was that Clapton's season off? I guess they were highlighting the new designer then? That dress, while very pretty, was wildly over the top for the resources available, as well as the common stylings we had seen so far.

Yeah! I agree with you about @The Dragon Demands videos. I watch them as I can and do my best to keep up. Some of his reveals are really interesting. I don't always have time to scour for the details that he is able to bring together in a video.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Please, to all the gods, let the remaining Direwolves get far, far away from that place.

Really far away.

Hmmm, this wouldn't quite be their department, but maybe we can get someone on the case, or in a sequel?  LOL 

https://twitter.com/nbcsvu/status/1114745935001600001

D&D have raved about cartoons before, but after this, I'm actually part convinced they used Daria as inspiration for Arya. 

Kit came in with a good knock on GoT at the end of this skit. 

6 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

D&D have raved about cartoons before, but after this, I'm actually part convinced they used Daria as inspiration for Arya. 

Kit came in with a good knock on GoT at the end of this skit. 

That was so bizarre  it was hilarious. Nice punchline :lol:

Was that Clapton's season off? I guess they were highlighting the new designer then? That dress, while very pretty, was wildly over the top for the resources available, as well as the common stylings we had seen so far.

Yeah! I agree with you about @The Dragon Demands videos. I watch them as I can and do my best to keep up. Some of his reveals are really interesting. I don't always have time to scour for the details that he is able to bring together in a video.

Lately, the costumes in general leave me thinking this. I picture most of the characters spending all of their off-screen time in tailors' and seamstresses' shops looking at fashion books all day like rich Victorians used to do. And the turnaround on new armor especially on a mass scale is absurd. 

The earlier seasons' costumes still made a statement, but didn't try to outshine the characters/actors and weren't an outright distraction. 

So. An unsullied friend asked me today, “When does GoT start?”

I stopped to think for a moment, then realised... a week today. :uhoh:

This friend knows I love the books and am not a fan of the show. I know he “enjoys” the show. But in close to 3 yrs working together we have never had a single convo about it. So today I asked him, “who’s your favourite character or plot?”, and I got a blank stare... then I asked him, “do you like Tyrion? Jon?”

More landscape face... “”Dany?... blank... “Who is Dany?”, says he. I asked a few more questions, he basically had no idea what I was talking about, and the convo ended w/ him saying, “I don’t know, it’s different and kind of fun to watch”. 

I’d bet that’s at least 80% of the show’s viewership. 

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

This friend knows I love the books and am not a fan of the show. I know he “enjoys” the show. But in close to 3 yrs working together we have never had a single convo about it. So today I asked him, “who’s your favourite character or plot?”, and I got a blank stare... then I asked him, “do you like Tyrion? Jon?”

More landscape face... “”Dany?... blank... “Who is Dany?”, says he. I asked a few more questions, he basically had no idea what I was talking about, and the convo ended w/ him saying, “I don’t know, it’s different and kind of fun to watch”. 

Did you ask if likes Khaleesi?

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Wow, that's ummmmmmmmm, worse than usual.

Could your friend narrow down some of the queens, at least, like Tormund?  The one with the dragons and the one that fucks her brother??  Bueller??  Bueller??  Anything?? 

Did you ask if likes Khaleesi?

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

No, I said, “she’s the mother of dragons ffs! The great white hope!!!”

He said, “Ah”. 

Well, in the friend's defense, it's been years since we've heard a good holler from Jorah for KELLI C

19 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I dislike most of Clapton's costumes.  Period.

They have gotten especially strange the last couple of seasons with all the black and strange combo of runway trends meets middle ages meets bondage meets space opera.

Queensguard look the worst.  Those helmets!!

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I dislike most of Clapton's costumes.  Period.

They have gotten especially strange the last couple of seasons with all the black and strange combo of runway trends meets middle ages meets bondage meets space opera.

The costumes are so bad overall we should have a “Rant & Rave: Costume Insanity Special Edition” thread. 

25 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

The costumes are so bad overall we should have a “Rant & Rave: Costume Insanity Special Edition” thread. 

Ha.  Like many things with the show, they started out good, I liked the 'take' on the middle ages costumes in the first couple of years, always liked the Lannister soldier armor....always thought the men's costumes were too similar, not enough color or difference, which was a 'miss' in a show with SO many characters, a few better signifiers and a little color would have been helpful for viewers to remember whose who.

The women's costumes, at present, I think are ugly. Unflattering, weird, not quite anachronistic, but still not feeling very authentic.  The strange dress we see Sansa wearing with the choke chain is very strange in any timeframe outside of "Hellraiser".

Archived