MCUniverse- Captain Marvel Rises!

A True Kaniggit

40 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Do we know the SECRET invasion fails? I'm more inclined to think that there's still a bunch o' Skrulls running around Earth in 2018/19, and we might just find out who some of them are in Endgame. I can imagine a Skrull that gets dusted in human form, when it comes back it appears in Skrull form.

It's likely that Secret Invasion succeeds, with the intention that the overt invasion was always intended to appear to fail.

Why wouldn't anyone major in the MCU be a skrull? Anyone who doesn't have superpowers could be a Skrull. Falcon, Widow, Hawkeye, Stark, Pepper, Maria Hill, Sharon Carter, Everett Ross, Nakia.

I don't want to put too much expectation into the movie, but I can't imagine the Skrulls being of no consequence in Endgame. Which means a movie that establishes them in the MCU, and establishes them on earth, as a threat to humanity, is actually pivotal for Endgame.

You mean like every other MCU villain aside from Thanos and maybe Loki; the latter of which hasn't been a villain in a long, long time.

So basically your theory is the invasion doesn't fail and the skrulls just chose to do nothing for 20 something years? I mean that's a bigger plot hole than Furry never calling up Carol when Loki was trying to invade Earth with his army, or when Ultron was trying to destroy the Earth, or when Hydra was trying to use SHIELD Helicarriers to kill millions and that was after he himself was greatly injured by them. I mean it would have been one thing if Carol just flew off into space at the end of this movie, but she clearly is going to leave Furry with a way to contact her, as seen in Infinity Wars..................He just chose never to use it in over 20 years.................because reasons.

Again this is a problem most prequels have, I've just never seen one have so many on this level before.

Who knows why sleeper agents don't activate for decades? It's not like the Skrulls plans for Earth is the only game they've got going.

So the MCU has a few recurring threats and some one and done threats. Thanos has been the recurring threat since Avengers 1. I'm guess he gets defeated in Endgame, so the MCU needs to pivot to another ongoing threat. There is no poiunt in introducing an entire new race into the MCU to neutralise them in a pre-quel. My prediction is that the Skrulls are going to be a recurring issue. We'll find out soon enough if they are.

Your "because reasons" is one of the things I'm hoping Captain Marvel addresses.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

I'd imagine Galactus or Doctor Doom would be the next big threat they build up to, now that the Fox deal has happened. The Fantastic Four easily have the greatest villains in all of Marvel, IMO

Yeah, although I have nothing against the FF themselves (and it would be cool to see some films based on Hickman's legendary run) the vast proportion of their value to the MCU lies in their villains. And since the MCU's other famous crossover-worthy villain was also bound to Fox, they really needed that deal coz they were going to start running out...

On 2/22/2019 at 11:44 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Hilarious if their long game was ruined because they were all coincidentally killed in the snap though

I guess that would be one reason not to unsnap, because then their sleeper agents would turn up again.

I see the new tactic of the MRA is to virtue signal Alita as being the good kind of girl power movie and Captain Marvel as the bad kind of girl power. It helps of course that James Cameron has talked smack about superhero movies in general, so Captain Marvel can be attacked on two fronts if you are a James Cameron fan.

The irony of course is that James Cameron has been attacked as an SJW himself. But you can't use Alita to attack SJWs and also attack it as being SJW. Lesser of 2 evils I guess?

On 2/6/2019 at 6:41 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

I do hope the movie spends a bit of time on how normies were told the story of how 50% of everyone were dusted. And the collective reaction. The poster at the start of the trailer kind of suggests there have been several group hug sessions. But really, the Avengers with both the amount of brain power and brawn at their disposal, are scratching their head about doing something. The rest of the world would best try to work through the stages of grief and get on with playing the hand they've been dealt.

I'm probably going to go on a trailer blackout now for Captain Marvel. At this point I feel like any trailers with additional content are just going to spoil stuff for me. I'm also inclined to not watch any further Endgame trailers.

Assuming Endgame turns out to be at least as good as the top 3/4 MCU movies. What are the chances that it gets nominated for (and possibly wins) Best Picture for the 2020 Oscars. This MCU venture is unprecedented in cinema history (including that it crossed over into multiple TV series), so the Academy kind of has to recognise it in some fashion, other than throwing it the occasional technical award. Perhaps it's more appropriate to recognise this sort of achievement with one of those lifetime achievement awards. But who to award? Kevin Feige? The MCU has been a monumental and astonishingly successful (critically and financially) undertaking. And what's going down with the DCEU at the moment shows that it's not so easy to do.

If LOTR 3 deserved 12 oscars Including Best Picture then so does Endgame.

I mean the Eagles could have taken them straight to Mt. Doom the whole time.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:10 AM, sifth said:

I'd imagine Galactus or Doctor Doom would be the next big threat they build up to, now that the Fox deal has happened. The Fantastic Four easily have the greatest villains in all of Marvel, IMO

Magneto could be a good choice for an Avengers/X-Men crossover villain too.  

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

And the trolls keep coming. One of the first comments in that article is "As for Captain Marvel, I'll watch it, but she is a really bad feminist who didnt want any white males at her junkets. So if she gets heat for that it was deserved not bigoted. Her not actually being fully inclusive is bigoted."

Which is just a repeat of a lie told by youtube MRAs.

And the MRAs are out there claiming that the real reason RT changed it's user ratings system was because they want to censor legit criticism. Nothing to do with bots and trolls, because obviously all criticism of Brie as a rabid feminist is totally accurate.

Oh boy!

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

And the trolls keep coming. One of the first comments in that article is "As for Captain Marvel, I'll watch it, but she is a really bad feminist who didnt want any white males at her junkets. So if she gets heat for that it was deserved not bigoted. Her not actually being fully inclusive is bigoted."

Which is just a repeat of a lie told by youtube MRAs.

And the MRAs are out there claiming that the real reason RT changed it's user ratings system was because they want to censor legit criticism. Nothing to do with bots and trolls, because obviously all criticism of Brie as a rabid feminist is totally accurate.

Oh boy!

Oh, buddy, don't get me started on some of the comments on there. I think that would be against board policy anyways, but yeah. The misinformation campaign regarding Larson's statements has really kicked up a notch.

I read something today which claimed Brie wanted less than 50% of the press to be white men. I guess even that would be a bridge too far for the MRA. NO QUOTAS!!!

The article said that she has negotiated quite a bit of representation conditions into her contracts, that is representation in front of and behind the camera, as well as representation in media people given access.

If she has enough clout to get work with those contract conditions then more power to her. She's operating in the free market, and the market is willing to pay that price. If Captain Marvel tanks and Brie puts in a horrible performance, then her acting stock goes down along with her contractual demands. But at least her contractual demands have purpose beyond her own selfish whims, and they are not forcing some poor studio sap to buy hundreds of packs of M&Ms and remove all the green ones. But maybe she has an M&Ms clause too, who knows with these Hollywood types?

From what I understand, Larson noticed that 99 percent of the press interviewing her where white men, so she made it a thing to try and get more non white men(gasp) to interview her, including a black woman with, shit, i want to say MS, but maybe Parkinsons? Or cerebral palsy? And of course the brietbart types took some quotes out of context and reedited shit and started screaming about how she doesn't want white men to see her film. :rolleyes:

I guess for every lying troll I find on the internet I might need to go see Captain Marvel. The problem is I might not be able to get leave from work if I need to see it more than once per day. I think if I was to commit to do it I'd already be up to having to see the movie 6 times. Not sure I can handle that.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess for every lying troll I find on the internet I might need to go see Captain Marvel. The problem is I might not be able to get leave from work if I need to see it more than once per day. I think if I was to commit to do it I'd already be up to having to see the movie 6 times. Not sure I can handle that.

You're a braver person than me, I usually go mad if I see the same movie twice in the same month, lol

Not gona lie, aside from Room, Brie Larson really has not impressed me much over the years. I find the lady lacks range and has a hard time showing believable emotions. I also find her kick starter for little girls to see the movie to be disgusting. Start one of those things to help people, not sell movie tickets.

All that being said, even I'm feeling bad for her getting all this hate from one little slip up. The lady made a poor choice of words, but at least the message she was trying to promote was something positive. People just don't get this.

6 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

She didn't make a poor choice of words though, what she said wasn't even reported correctly.

I believe she did. Had she not signaled out "white men" no one would have called her out on this. This crap happens whenever people signal out one race as being an issue in something, regardless of the reason. Trust me, I've been around this block before. Had she just said "I want people of all skin colors and gender to review my movie", no one would have said a thing.

Archived