MCUniverse- Captain Marvel Rises!

A True Kaniggit

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

I just assume it's an advanced vibranium spear we haven't seen the full potential. Because at one point we hear her disparage guns as "primitive" with deep scorn in her voice, Which is an insult that falls kinda flat if all she has is basic spear.

According to this it's kind of both. It is more advanced, but it still doesn't shoot.

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Vibranium_Spear

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Traditions don't change when things are going well. And Wakanda hasn't had reason to change for hundreds of years. Their army uses largely handheld weapons based on melee weapons, has virtually no vehicles to fight with and has no real officer corps - and they dont because they dont need it

Thanks for this comment. After a couple hours thought this has straightened out for me the reason Wakanda is the way it is in my head canon.

Like many during Infinity Wars I couldn't help but see that compact mass of alien invaders and think what a gunship, some A-10s, or even a couple Bradleys with auto-cannons could've done to it.

But even though they are technologically advanced, the Wakandans are an isolated nation that hasn't had to put their weapons/tactics to the test and improve upon them for the changes in warfare in a very long time. Yeah, it could be said, "they've seen how things have changed in other wars, and they should've adapted accordingly". But how long into WWI did generals send human wave attacks into machine gun fire? 

27 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Thanks for this comment. After a couple hours thought this has straightened out for me the reason Wakanda is the way it is in my head canon.

Like many during Infinity Wars I couldn't help but see that compact mass of alien invaders and think what a gunship, some A-10s, or even a couple Bradleys with auto-cannons could've done to it.

But even though they are technologically advanced, the Wakandans are an isolated nation that hasn't had to put their weapons/tactics to the test and improve upon them for the changes in warfare in a very long time. Yeah, it could be said, "they've seen how things have changed in other wars, and they should've adapted accordingly". But how long into WWI did generals send human wave attacks into machine gun fire? 

I too find wisdom in @Kalbear 's comment. Although your superstitious belief in technology betrays the weakness of your people. Proper maneuvering in the field, and an appropriate national ideology, is sufficient to overcome any foe.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I too find wisdom in @Kalbear 's comment. 1) Although your superstitious belief in technology betrays the weakness of your people.  2) Proper maneuvering in the field, and an appropriate national ideology, is sufficient to overcome any foe.

1) White Trash? :P

2) The new HOI iv  update can't come out soon enough so that Japan can demonstate to the U S of A how true this is.

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Wakanda is really just designed as a sort of futuristic collection of African stereotypes. I don’t know that there was any heavier thinking around the movie than that.

So if there's no heavier thinking, why the Shuri hate?

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Because she’s badly written and annoying. How much more do need?

An actual reason?

As has already been pointed out, Shuri is basically the same as Tony Stark. But you made excuses for him.

Then not 25 minutes ago you stated this movie required no heavy thinking.

Yet you still felt the need to criticize Shuri. 

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

An actual reason?

As has already been pointed out, Shuri is basically the same as Tony Stark. But you made excuses for him.

Then not 25 minutes ago you stated this movie required no heavy thinking.

Yet you still felt the need to criticize Shuri. 

Maybe you’d misunderstood what I wrote. Wakanda and much of its design appears to really been done just to update a bunch of stereotypical ideas of African culture.

Shuri is a character designed to sell toys. 

'This character was badly written' is right up there with 'poor CGI' as a thing people say when they dislike a movie, but want to claim that it is objectively bad, rather than that it was fine but they personally didn't care for it. Both sound like specific criticism, but are actually meaningless without any details. How is Shuri 'badly written'? Note: 'I found her annoying' is not a flaw in the writing. It's a description of your reaction.

37 minutes ago, mormont said:

'This character was badly written' is right up there with 'poor CGI' as a thing people say when they dislike a movie, but want to claim that it is objectively bad, rather than that it was fine but they personally didn't care for it. Both sound like specific criticism, but are actually meaningless without any details. How is Shuri 'badly written'? Note: 'I found her annoying' is not a flaw in the writing. It's a description of your reaction.

Yeah, if a character is meant to be annoying then said character is written well. I didn't find her annoying, if anything i thought she was a faithful spin on Q from the Bond films (there's a lot of Bond in the DNA of the movie).

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

A bit like Japan when it closed itself off from the west. They thought they were superior to westerners and then realised they had a lot if catching up  to do.which they did rapidly but with massive changes in society too. We sort of saw this with wakandan sleeper agents (and their children) returning to wakanda wanting to change it.

I guess a similar argument could be made regarding them standing by and letting the slave triangle happen. We don't know how advanced they were a few hundred years ago but it's possible European numbers may still have beat them. Have they said where wakanda is in africa in the MCU? Because its a big continent and if they aren't near the west coast and didn't have jets it was maybe beyond their capability. It's not like European nations have automatically intervened at the slavery of their neighbours just by merit of being on the same landmass.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

1) White Trash? :P

2) The new HOI iv  update can't come out soon enough so that Japan can demonstate to the U S of A how true this is.

I'm champing at the bit. I've been trying to get the hang of Japan for weeks. Easily the hardest Great Power to play as.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe you’d misunderstood what I wrote. Wakanda and much of its design appears to really been done just to update a bunch of stereotypical ideas of African culture.

Shuri is a character designed to sell toys. 

The fact that she's a kid and clearly smarter than people twice her age like Tony and Bruce really made her start to push Marry Sue territory to me. Also before someone here calls me sexist, which has happened before, I'd be just as upset if a little boy started upstaging Tony and Bruce as well, lol

Also her jokes sucked and she was..................suppose to be the comic relief...................I think, lol

I liked Shuri for the most part. About the only thing I didn't like about her writing is that apparently she developed the magnetic thingamajigs that kept the raw vibranium stable on the trains. And I have to wonder how have the Wakandas transported vibranium until Shuri came along. I don't think she created the invisibility cloak field and the shield domes, which to me seems much more advanced, so you'd think other scientists before her would have figured out how to transport vibranium safely out of the mines. Her invention of the new Black Panther suit was a worthy accomplishment on its own, and maybe she invented the tech that allows for the remote vehicle operation, too. 

5 minutes ago, sifth said:

The fact that she's a kid and clearly smarter than people twice her age like Tony and Bruce really made her start to push Marry Sue territory to me. Also before someone here calls me sexist, which has happened before, I'd be just as upset if a little boy started upstaging Tony and Bruce as well, lol

Also her jokes sucked and she was..................suppose to be the comic relief...................I think, lol

Q in the more recent Bond movies is obviously her template , but where he is slightly older he is also pretty inadequate in other ways , geeky and humbling and clearly a real nerd who is so great at technology because he spends all his time in dark room nerding out. 

Shuri is what 17? I don’t know but she comes across as very young. You could get away with imagining her as overly smart , but she has almost no compensating flaws. She is also good looking, effortlessly cool , seemingly good at fighting and supposedly funny and witty ( she wasn’t actually funny in the movie and her jokes all fell flat for me). This to me is simply bad writing, she doesn’t come across as a real person but as a collection of characteristics on a spreadsheet ( think poochie from Simpson’s). I don’t know if I would use the term Mary Sue but she is certainly far from a well rounded character.

Maybe some enjoyed her character, but in a movie in which, outside of Killmonger, I felt every character was a 2D cliche with zero depth, she was one of the worst offenders. I was irritated by the way the movie presented her as someone I should clearly like and find cute and enjoyable. I simply didnt.

The CGI in the movie is undeniably bad however , I’m not sure if anyone would ever dare defend it.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Q in the more recent Bond movies is obviously her template , but where he is slightly older he is also pretty inadequate in other ways , geeky and humbling and clearly a real nerd who is so great at technology because he spends all his time in dark room nerding out. 

Shuri is what 17? I don’t know but she comes across as very young. You could get away with imagining her as overly smart , but she has almost no compensating flaws. She is also good looking, effortlessly cool , seemingly good at fighting and supposedly funny and witty ( she wasn’t actually funny in the movie and her jokes all fell flat for me). This to me is simply bad writing, she doesn’t come across as a real person but as a collection of characteristics on a spreadsheet ( think poochie from Simpson’s). I don’t know if I would use the term Mary Sue but she is certainly far from a well rounded character.

Maybe some enjoyed her character, but in a movie in which, outside of Killmonger, I felt every character was a 2D cliche with zero depth, she was one of the worst offenders. I was irritated by the way the movie presented her as someone I should clearly like and find cute and enjoyable. I simply didnt.

The CGI in the movie is undeniably bad however , I’m not sure if anyone would ever dare defend it.

So basically, in response to this post:

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Your answer is: 'I got nothing'.

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What is a Mary Sue if not a perfect character, a form of wish fulfillment. Who can effortlessly outsmart people twice her age and looks good doing it. I mean this is the main reason people use to crap on TNG's Wessley back in the day, lol

11 minutes ago, sifth said:

I mean this is the main reason people use to crap on TNG's Wessley back in the day, lol

I feel 100% safe in saying that nobody, back in the day, thought Wesley Crusher 'looks good doing it'. 

Archived