Star Wars Thread: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jace, Extat

Just now, The Mother of The Others said:

Uh, maybe you have more knowledge of star wars cannon construction than the regular viewer but in the movie it looked like finn's sacrifice would have been meaningful and they didn't explain otherwise.. so that stood out like a goiter.

Destroying the cannon doesn't stop the first order. It barely slows them down. They can't breach the barrier as easily (maybe) but they can still get in.

That's the real problem - stopping the cannon doesn't do much. It was the best shot they had, but that's mostly because Rey hadn't returned and they had nothing else at all.

Luke solves all of that. He makes the entire first order focus on him for a long time, ignoring everything else- other ships, containment, everything. Even though the officers know it is stupid, Ren can't stop himself. Finn sacrificing himself buys them maybe a couple minutes and still doesn't stop the first order from blowing away any other ship leaving. 

The message isn't sacrifice is pointless. Holdo showed that too. The message is that sacrifice better be worth it, and you shouldn't just do it because you want to do something. 

Now a better question is why the plan all along wasnt to use their cruiser as an ftl missile instead of just a lure away. My only thought there is that no one had ever even considered it. 

It was still badass.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

The message isn't sacrifice is pointless. Holdo showed that too. The message is that sacrifice better be worth it, and you shouldn't just do it because you want to do something. 

I think the great message of TLJ is that the real heroes aren't the ones that want to go out in a blaze of glory, but those that try to prevent the blaze in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Something Poe certainly didn't know about at the open of the movie.  

That whole scene was very out there ....in space.  So far away from our galaxy that it made no sense.    Doomed 50 to save 1 and gets praised for it.  This is the ultimate proof that Trek and Star Wars are different universes because it turns Spock's most famous quote on its head, the needs of the one in this case outweighing the needs of a whole flock of rebel idjits.   The blaze was already blazing.  She threw the fire extinguisher out the window.   She showed us your real heroes display at a deeply inappropriate time when she should have let the fake hero prolong their lives bravely.  In most universes a jedi doesn't then appear to make this all moot, in most universes she's a horrible fool who got her platoon dead.

16 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

That whole scene was very out there ....in space.  So far away from our galaxy that it made no sense.    Doomed 50 to save 1 and gets praised for it.  This is the ultimate proof that Trek and Star Wars are different universes because it turns Spock's most famous quote on its head, the needs of the one in this case outweighing the needs of a whole flock of rebel idjits.   The blaze was already blazing.  She threw the fire extinguisher out the window.   She showed us your real heroes display at a deeply inappropriate time when she should have let the fake hero prolong their lives bravely.  In most universes a jedi doesn't then appear to make this all moot, in most universes she's a horrible fool who got her platoon dead.

What in the holy hell are you even talking about? You drunk? It's ok if you drunk.

19 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

What in the holy hell are you even talking about? You drunk? It's ok if you drunk.

you don t remembre the movie?

The scene where finn wants to sacrifice himself in order to save everyone and roose stops him at the last minute because they need love or something like that...

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's fan fiction for the red wedding.

it is the story grrm wrote about a paralel universe where the red wedding didn t happen. 

why do you think TWoW isn t finished yet? he has been releasing these secret books about this paralel universe for years… 

39 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Right?

Her stopping Finn from maybe blowing up the cannon didn't ruin shit. 

Because even if he blows it up, you know what happens?

The First Order's ground forces with air support move in anyhow.

(And I say "maybe blowing up the cannon" because her allowing her friend to ricochet his rickety ass vehicle off that thing in no way guarantees it would even be damaged, much less destroyed)

10 minutes ago, divica said:

it is the story grrm wrote about a paralel universe where the red wedding didn t happen. 

why do you think TWoW isn t finished yet? he has been releasing these secret books about this paralel universe for years… 

LOL.  I'd totally read that!

4 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Her stopping Finn from maybe blowing up the cannon didn't ruin shit. 

Because even if he blows it up, you know what happens?

The First Order ground forces with air support move in anyhow.

To clarify, I have no problem with Rose stopping Finn.  Yes, it has no effect.  It's still a good scene.

And again, it's not about blowing up their resources to sacrifice. It's about saving what you love. This was what finn failed to recognize, what Luke failed to recognize, and what ultimately Luke's sacrifice was about. 

28 minutes ago, divica said:

you don t remembre the movie?

The scene where finn wants to sacrifice himself in order to save everyone and roose stops him at the last minute because they need love or something like that...

Yes I get that's what he's talking about but i have no idea about the rest.

50 to save 1? And something about Spock?

23 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yes I get that's what he's talking about but i have no idea about the rest.

50 to save 1? And something about Spock?

he is talking that tlj defends that you should let 50 people die in order to save one.

And the spock part is that aparently star trek says otherwise and spock has a line about that it is logical to sacrifice the 1 in order to save 50.

36 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

And again, it's not about blowing up their resources to sacrifice. It's about saving what you love. This was what finn failed to recognize, what Luke failed to recognize, and what ultimately Luke's sacrifice was about. 

finn was going to give the resistence a fighting chance...

The only thing rose achieved was to kill everybody within minutes if luke hadn t arrived.

Doesn t it make sense to sacrifice yourself in order to give your friends the chance to survive? Acording to rose no! lol

But this was another of those moments that look great on screen but storywise make no sense...

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

But the last Jedi doesn’t say that at all. 

Also, Star Trek 3.

rose has a line where she says it to finn.

that he shouldn t save them all by sacrificing himself. And there wasn t any other way to save the resistance acording to what they knew...

Archived