Guardians 1

Ultron

Guardians 2

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

Thor

Dark World 

Hulk

Really, it's a pretty subjective topic...but who the hell could ever put Civil War tops...as good as it is, it still pales to at least 5 or 6 others...but again, it's a highly subjective topic...

Yeah a really subjective list since we all have our own opinions and that's all they are.

These are my top ones based on the fact I have or will watch them multiple times, movies once, then home more than once.

Top Tier - Infinity War, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Avengers, Guardians Vol 1

These I don't have an urge to watch more than once at home

Tier Two - Civil War, Ant Man, Black Panther, Thor, Spider Man, Guardians 2, Capt America, Ragnorak, Doctor Strange.  As of right now Captain Marvel goes in this group for me, higher than many in this tier.

The rest - Ant Man and Wasp, Age of Ultron, Iron Man 2-3, Thor Dark world, Hulk

If the metric was the whole desert island thing and you could only have one MCU movie, it would be Thor Ragnarok. and if it was 2 movies probably Thor Ragnarok and GOTG. They are the funnest movies, and if I'm limited I want the movies that are gonna give me a laugh. Doesn't mean I think they're the best over all. Though in the case of Thor I would rate it among my top 3 I think.

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Have online trolls ever really had any serious effect on a movies box office?

I think Fem Ghostbusters and Solo were harmed. I don't think they would have necessarily done well. But I think they did worse than they would have if not for the pre-release hate.

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

I think Fem Ghostbusters and Solo were harmed. I don't think they would have necessarily done well. But I think they did worse than they would have if not for the pre-release hate.

I don't know much about GB but someone ran some numbers on Solo and it was pretty obvious they  had no effect. A lot of internet backlash/drama on these things are generally unknown to the movie going public at large.

Anyway, for me it basically goes

Winter Soldier

all over MCU films

Thor 2

Ranking the rest is hard, but if I had to pick a #2 I'd probably go with Avengers 1.

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don't know much about GB but someone ran some numbers on Solo and it was pretty obvious they  had no effect. A lot of internet backlash/drama on these things are generally unknown to the movie going public at large.

Anyway, for me it basically goes

Winter Soldier

all over MCU films

Thor 2

Ranking the rest is hard, but if I had to pick a #2 I'd probably go with Avengers 1.

I think they should run those Solo numbers again. Based on the quality of the movie and the franchise it's in, it should have made considerably more simply because of the momentum of the name. Though I also think the dog piling on TLJ for being just a rubbish movie (as well as the political agenda reasons) had an effect too. I liked Solo waaaaay more than TLJ so I feel like it deserved to earn much more money than it did. Based on the movie alone I feel like TLJ only deserved Solo-like numbers. But because of the political BS I'm OK with it having cracked $1Bn. I just wish it was a movie I could get behind as a worthy cinematic experience. Whereas I like Captain Marvel, which means I'm doubly pleased that it's box office numbers are giving MRA trolls a poke in the eye.

Though I hear the MRAs are trying to hit back by claiming Disney bought up a whole bunch of tickets. LOL!

Nah even if you take every single troll/what not the combined ticket sales of them all would barely make a dent. Also there are plenty of movies in established franchises that are both great and sequels to money makers that don't do well. Not to mention the marketing for Solo was crap, but I digress.

And yeah I'm a terrible person but I'm enjoying the hell out of the incels losing their minds of CA's box office. There was one guy making 2-3 videos A DAY about how it was going to bomb who is just losing his mind right now.

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Nah even if you take every single troll/what not the combined ticket sales of them all would barely make a dent. Also there are plenty of movies in established franchises that are both great and sequels to money makers that don't do well. Not to mention the marketing for Solo was crap, but I digress.

And yeah I'm a terrible person but I'm enjoying the hell out of the incels losing their minds of CA's box office. There was one guy making 2-3 videos A DAY about how it was going to bomb who is just losing his mind right now.

I don't think the trolls not going had an effect or ever would because they are such a low number. And some will even secretly go to hate-watch, and then come away with a guilty pleasure of having not hated the movie as much as they wanted to. But they would never say that in public.

But the negativity put more people off, IMO, just because, people were unsure about it to start with.

@bold I'm not too sure about that. Don't do AS well perhaps. But if they are great movies and get good reviews they will still do objectively well compared to its predecessor. Solo did objectively poorly as both a Star Wars movie and as return on investment. 

I would have laughed alongside you mentioning incels not too long ago. But I'm taking that word out of my vocabulary for the purposes of poking fun at people. I've come to the conclusion that incels aren't simply losers, they actually have a mental illness and I don't want to poke fun at mental illness. And it's potentially a mental illness that could be a danger to other people.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ah yes, I just remembered I'm the only one here who loves Ultron. :(

It's certainly not the stank-pit that some say it is (IMO) but then my opinion of it drastically improved after watching it a second time. I didn't really care for it the first time I saw it.

That said, here's my ranking, if anyone cares...

The Winter Soldier

Infinity War

Civil War

Guardians Vol 2

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Avengers

Iron Man

Thor: Ragnarok

Black Panther

Guardians

Doctor Strange

Iron Man 3

Age of Ultron

Ant-Man

Thor

Captain America

Iron Man 2

Ant-Man & The Wasp

Incredible Hulk

Thor: The Dark World

52 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh I don't want to derail too much but their have been at least two and I think three mass killings up in Canada carried out by incels, and shit, I forgot Elliot Rodgers, so that's 4 of the top of my  head.

Exactly, a potentially dangerous mental illness. The psychology / psychiatry community should really be thinking about classifying it as a mental illness complex of some sort. Hell, Jack the Ripper might have been patient zero.

Best say something about the MCU...errr...people keep saying you can skip Captain Marvel and still be fine for Endgame. I would tend to disagree. Captain Marvel is almost certain to play a major role in Endgame, and if you come in cold with her, who she is and what she does and how powerful she is will probably not sit too well. I guess you can watch an in-depth spoiler review of the movie. But arguably you can do that with any prequel of a movie - if you watch a spoiler review of Infinity War that will give you enough info to be able to watch Endgame. So you can skip every lead up movie in one sense. Captain Marvel is more skippable than Infinity War, but I wouldn't dismiss it as totally skippable

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

But I'm taking that word out of my vocabulary for the purposes of poking fun 

Another reason not to use such lingo is ideally we should be dealing with people as they actually are, without redefining them to suit our whimsy using made up words that no longer strive for accuracy but name things in condemnation , which gives us permission to never again bother empathizing.   There is no such thing as the alt right.  It's something only the left talks about.  Whatever an MRA is , or a incel, it probably doesn't define people fairly or honestly either.  Or it labels way too many people as having real mental issues when the reality is most of them just disagree with you.  Like how the entire Tea Party got run down because someone somewhere found some bad seeds and plastered them on the internet.  As if the left isn't rife with bad seeds.  You hear about them less is all, since the national media machine is trying to cover them up instead of expose them.     

When people insulate themselves with their own code language and get news only from sources guaranteed to reinforce their held prejudices (all cable news sources to be clear), it's no wonder they then eternally argue with the Others they've created, because nobody involved in such arguments is really addressing the other person, only yelling at the distortion of that person which exists solely in their own head.  It's a recipe for keeping the divide going, not healing it.    

Captain Marvel avoided including any of this unhealthy divisive business.   Thankfully.   It's we lesser humans who fell victim to it.    No reason to get so stirred up.    Like two yards with chattering birds on the left, chattering birds on the right.   No import.  Only Noise.   Hopefully, the lesson learned is to not give internet people control over your emotional state.  Twitter doesn't influence jack.  So there's no need to rush to cancel out anyone's supposed influence.    A chance to exhale.

It’s hard to say what effect trolls have on the box office of any movie, but my guess is that it’s absolutely tiny. Just because some people have louder voices and shout a lot doesn’t mean they represent most people. The internet tends to eat itself and thinks that everyone sees the same stuff as them. I know I didn’t know anything about the Brie ‘white men’ stuff until it was mentioned here.

As for incels, yes they are a tiny but very sad part of the internet , guys almost certainly with mental issues and disorders who have decided the dating game works against them and so have avowed to stay out of it altogether. It leads to some quite angry men complaining about the way the world works to each other. But they are tiny and insignificant really.

10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Really, it's a pretty subjective topic...but who the hell could ever put Civil War tops...as good as it is, it still pales to at least 5 or 6 others...but again, it's a highly subjective topic...

Actually putting Civil War top was one of the few positions I’m sure of. It has the best fight scenes, the best third act, it’s critical to the MCU but also a good movie in its own right, it has pretty much everyone in it and manages to provide an arc for a lot of them, and it has a genuinely debatable dilemma at its core. It’s the only one I don’t really have any caveats about.

Civil War is excellent, I still prefer Winter Soldier but those plus Infinity War are on a different level to the other MCU movies 

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The broflakes are now claiming CA is only doing well due to the big marketing campaign and targeting demographics.

Because no film has tried marketing before...

:bang:

Marvel has a licence to print money right now. Captain Marvel ties directly into Endgame as well so there was anticipation there. There is also no doubt that the marketing campaign was targeted around an issue making it an easier sell.

Archived