A Horse Named Stranger

Football: pool in to the Final Spur of the season

Infantino being a POS, what's new? Anyway, I still have some small hope for Ceferin being somewhat better (ok, it would be an achievement to be as bad as Infatino).

So let's wait and see. Football leaks has put the stuff out into the open, so there's hope that it creates sufficient external pressure not to cut a sweetheart deal for City this time.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Infantino being a POS, what's new? Anyway, I still have some small hope for Ceferin being somewhat better (ok, it would be an achievement to be as bad as Infatino).

So let's wait and see. Football leaks has put the stuff out into the open, so there's hope that it creates sufficient external pressure not to cut a sweetheart deal for City this time.

I've got zero faith in UEFA. A corrupt organisation investigating corruption will inevitably lead to a farce of an investigation. When Tebas and others were making a fuss about PSG spending all that money on Neymar and Mbappe, UEFA investigated, predictably found no punishable offence and just cut a deal with PSG to sell some players. UEFA will go out of their way to cut a deal to ensure that City aren't banned just like they did with PSG. They'll put on a show for the public with a token investigation. At most, it'll be a slap-on-the-wrist fine. Most likely no wrong doing will be the outcome.

Cagliari get away with their monkey chants against Moise Kean because they had "an objectively limited relevance". So as long as you racially abuse only one guy at a time it is apparently okay.

Posted (edited)

Atletico Madrid have just announced that Griezmann has informed the club of his intention to leave this summer. Barcelona is his most likely destination. 

ETA. Atleti have some rebuilding to do with Griezmann, Hernandez, Godin and Juanfran all on the way out.

Edited by Consigliere

I can see why Griezmann wants out now, though.

Looks like Atletico is starting a major rebuilding process, and Griezmann is now approaching his primeyears, so he arguably wants to be somewhere where he can win stuff. And how likely it is for Atletico to win stuff during the next couple of years, while doing the rebuilt, that is at least open for discussion.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Philokles said:

Cagliari get away with their monkey chants against Moise Kean because they had "an objectively limited relevance".

This really is sickening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48271222

"It emerged the chants in question, although certainly reprehensible, had an objectively limited relevance to race," the body said.

Bollocks they did. And in any case, why could this be considered an excuse? They were relevant to race, they were racist, you say you're against racism, do something. Simple as that. 

Or to allow Kick It Out to say it better:

Edited by mormont

To move back to the lighter side of things.

Transfer stories.

Hazard moving to Dortmund is confirmed, they are haggling over the fee. Thorgan Hazard obviously. The question is just when. Gladbach demand 40m €, Dortmund are not willing to pay that much, but would rather wait a year to sign him on a free transfer, as Thorgan has said he will definately go Dortmund, either this year or next.

Salihamidzic has confirmed that Bayern are still in the market for another winger, be it Pepe, CHO or Sane. Although their priority target Pepe is rumoredly United bound. They will probably also be looking at some fullback optiosn, as their veteran back up Rafinha is leaving the club, too. Oh, right, there's also still the rumour of Bayern wanting to sign Schalke's Nübel to groom him as a successor for Neuer.

At Bremen Kruse is possibly leaving at the end of the season on a free. Destination unknown. He wants to play European football, and Bremen failed to qualify. At least that's what both club and player have been communicating since before the start of the season. He will stay if Bremen qualifies, otherwise he might very well leave.

Lerverkusen's Brandt is rumoredly Dortmund bound.

Gbamin also wants to take the next step and leave Mainz. Leverkusen or Dortmund would be fine for him, or some EPL team. Rumored fee around 30m€. Rumoredly both United and Liverpool were interested in him last year.

Also Napoli rumoredly turned down a 100m€ offer for Coulibaly.

Posted (edited)

Comedy equaliser at Elland Road for Derby. 

I think every Leeds game I’ve watched this season has been entertaining for one reason or another. Hopefully they get promoted to the Premier League, it’d be fun to see what Bielsa could do, but they’re doing their best to shoot themselves in the foot.

ETA: And 30 seconds into the second half Derby are level in the tie.

Good assist from Wilson.

ETA: So after a comfortable 1 goal win away from home and going in front at home Leeds end up losing 2-4 at home with a comedy goal, unnecessary penalty and a red card each. Standard really.

From a neutral point of view it’s a shame to see Leeds go out. They really are the better team and Derby’s 3 best players are on loan from Chelsea and Liverpool, I’m not sure Derby would be any good if they do get promoted.

Edited by ljkeane

Bielsa will be delighted - he’s got that end of season collapse down to its purest form.

So John Terry vs Frank Lampard (& Ashley Cole) for a place in the Premier League (and the Chelsea job). I hope Villa win it. This Derby side is pretty useless, Leeds offered this win on a plate to them, but Villa will have a fighting chance with Grealish.

Well done to Derby and Lampard. Another Bielsa late season collapse completed. Still hoping Villa get promoted though.

Pretty boring with nothing to watch till the UCL final, meantime i'm stuck watching highlights/compilations on youtube :P

Anyway, found this today: Fabinho being a stud! :)

Yikes

4 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Pretty boring with nothing to watch till the UCL final, meantime i'm stuck watching highlights/compilations on youtube :P

Anyway, found this today: Fabinho being a stud! :)

What a treasure we have.Better than Mascherano I would say.

10 minutes ago, redriver said:

What a treasure we have.Better than Mascherano I would say.

Certainly better with the ball at his feet but man Masch was a monster. Flying around the pitch making tackles. Hated it so much when he left. 

Very much speculation. If last year was anything to go by, we won't here much until things are ready to announce.

The Mirror and Metro are among the very worst sources for transfer news. While both Pepe and Werner would be very good signings for Liverpool, the problem they face is that their first choice front 3 are so good and work so well together that players like Werner and Pepe would think twice before joining. Would Pepe accept warming the bench behind Salah or Werner behind Firmino when they would be starters just about anywhere else? Not impossible but seems unlikely. IIRC, Paul Joyce wrote in The Times that Klopp intends on promoting Rhian Brewster to the first team next season as backup for Firmino. 

I think Pool's priority will be a leftback. With Moreno and Milner gone at the end of season (assuming no extension), we will need cover at that position. They can switch things around at RB with Gomez who can play defensively and allow a more attacking RM (Hendo, Shaq, Ox etc). But LB is pretty sparse. Who would be a good LB at pool? I haven't seen many rumours about potential LB so not sure who are the leading candidates.

Forwards can be covered with Ox and Shaq. And maybe Origi and Brewster. Although I would still prefer another proper forward who can fit anywhere across the front line and won't be a big drop in quality (*sideeyes Griezmann*).