UK Politics: Another vote, just not for anyone who might change their minds

Which Tyler

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

Well that was easy. I expected you to carry on with your absurd line of reasoning for far longer. Well done for knowing when to give in.  

What you are ignoring here is that this wasn't Occupy or Antifa. This was Climate Rebellion, whose protests have been clever, imaginative, and very, very effective. What they have never been is violent.

Indeed, there was not a hint of violence on the protesters part last night - this has been confirmed by people in the room, many of which were shocked by Field's actions.

Now, you and Katie Hopkins and Toby Young and Rod Liddle, and all the rest can justify this to yourselves until the cows come home, but that was assault, and he's gonna get done.

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I'm neither applauding nor am I remotely right wing. I'm was just pointing out that I believe in light of all the circumstances known to him at the time used a reasonable amount of force. 

I am not engaging in virtue signalling by saying this, or engaging in culture wars or making any kind of political point. This is simply about the decent and appropriate way to behave. If there was any evidence the protestors threatened violence themselves, maybe there would be extenuating circumstances. But a City friend who was there texted me to say all the protestors were conspicuously “peaceful and well meaning”.

I have just spoken to a friend sitting close to Field, who confirms he felt the protestor posed no threat and that Field’s reaction seemed wholly disproportionate. “He over-reacted. It was awful”. 

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

I'm neither applauding nor am I remotely right wing. I'm was just pointing out that I believe in light of all the circumstances known to him at the time used a reasonable amount of force. 

You weren't there, so your opinion on that is worthless. See my above post for some reaction of those who were.

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

You weren't there, so your opinion on that is worthless. See my above post for some reaction of those who were.

I've seen the video, so I've seen as much as everyone who was there.   Also, eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable, whereas CCTV/video isn't.

The initial reaction for slamming her against the pillar may seem excessive,  I will however give him the pass for that as it was the initial reaction and maybe he did fear she had some kind of weapon.

Its the forcible removal via neck that I find not reasonable.  If he had held her arm, and marched her out then fair enough.   Holding her arm may also have been a better option if she had a concealed weapon in her hand bag.

Let me get this straight. You're saying that after watching a 30 second video clip, shot from one PoV, depicting an extremely truncated section of the protest, you saw as much as the hundreds of pairs of eyes that were actually in the room? Righto mate.

31 minutes ago, Pebble said:

The initial reaction for slamming her against the pillar may seem excessive,  I will however give him the pass for that as it was the initial reaction and maybe he did fear she had some kind of weapon.

Its the forcible removal via neck that I find not reasonable.  If he had held her arm, and marched her out then fair enough.   Holding her arm may also have been a better option if she had a concealed weapon in her hand bag.

That was my initial thought as well, the neck grab has bad optics for one thing. Possibly you could do more damage to someone if you hold their arm behind their back and they struggle though. 

However, my opinion is that if you smuggle yourself into a room uninvited and force your way towards a table in a threatening manner then you basically get anything thats coming to you (within reason, before someone goes 'oh so he could stabbed her then??'. I have zero sympathy for her.

26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Let me get this straight. You're saying that after watching a 30 second video clip, shot from one PoV, depicting an extremely truncated section of the protest, you saw as much as the hundreds of pairs of eyes that were actually in the room? Righto mate.

I imagine BFC has quite a lot of experience in judging these things.

12 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I imagine BFC has quite a lot of experience in judging these things.

I'll bet.

And his claim that he 'saw as much as anyone who was there' is clearly ridiculous. Because he literally wasn't fucking there. FFS.

And another thing - some of the Fielders are saying what if it was a man? Would it have been okay then? If it had been a man there would be no outcry!

I'll tell you what would have happened if it was a man. Nothing. Because if it was a man walking past Fields, I'm willing to bet he would have stayed in his seat with his head down.

I mean, look at how all these brave male Tory MPs reacted to this (actually dangerous looking) male protester.

And I'm out of this now. But I'll say this to those who believe Fields' actions were at all justified - my parents did a better job than yours.

48 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I'll bet.

And his claim that he 'saw as much as anyone who was there' is clearly ridiculous. Because he literally wasn't fucking there. FFS.

You have no idea how wrong you are if you think an eye witness account is even 5% as useful as video evidence of an event.  I can't even understand how anyone could be so confused about something so obvious. 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

You have no idea how wrong you are if you think an eye witness account is even 5% as useful as video evidence of an event.  I can't even understand how anyone could be so confused about something so obvious. 

I think you're a police officer, as your avatar suggests?  So, I'm sure you would have had to study video footage loads of times as part of your job.

20 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And I'm out of this now. But I'll say this to those who believe Fields' actions were at all justified - my parents did a better job than yours.

Haha, that has put a right smile on my face.  Well done Mr and Mrs Spockydog, your child is a full on legend.

If use of force was reasonable based on potential threat in this case, than I'm pretty sure we can reasonably kick any Tory that gets within arm distance of us in the balls. Gotta worry about what those crazy people will do, and Tory's are pretty fucking nuts.

Just now, SeanF said:

I think you're a police officer, as your avatar suggests?  So, I'm sure you would have had to study video footage loads of times as part of your job.

Yes, there is no comparison in eye witness evidence compared to video.  You literally will get contradictory statements from 2 people stood right next to each other who witnessed exactly the same event. 

Just now, TrueMetis said:

If use of force was reasonable based on potential threat in this case, than I'm pretty sure we can reasonably kick any Tory that gets within arm distance of us in the balls. Gotta worry about what those crazy people will do, and Tory's are pretty fucking nuts.

kneeing is more effective.

Archived