Apple's TV show based on Asimov's FOUNDATION, starring Jared Harris

Werthead

Lee Pace is worth the price of admission. But, I repeat, he is in incredible shape in this first episode. And yeah, there's some definite drift in the behavior and personalities of the Genetic Dynasty. The whole Dermezel thing was... interesting, especially as it seems suggested that this is (sort of) a new thing (apparently she and Cleon I slept together, but it doesn't seem to be a thing she has done regularly with other Cleons).

Jared Harris gets some long sequences that I gather are supposed to let him cut loose, but they just feel ... long. I feel sorry for him, but I'm guessing he is very well renumerated.

The Gaal-Salvor stuff is .... passable, I guess, maybe? I'm still finding Leah Harvey a bit of a charisma void, though. Still think it may be because of the American accent.

A spoiler of a minor detail we noticed:

Spoiler

When Demerzel is repairing her head, she opens a box with the implements... and I noticed that the cover of the box features a depiction of the planets of our solar system. Those familiar with the Foundation series will recognize that this is probably very significant information, since knowledge of Earth beyond it having been the ancestral planet of humanity is pretty much lost by the time of the novels. In fact, Foundation and Earth is largely focused on the search for Earth.

In addition to being another reminder that I need to reread, I must've enjoyed it given my disappointment at not being able to jump right into E2.

Agree on Harris. Thought the Gaal-Salvor stuff approached the appropriate level of awkwardness, but fell short. Gaal, yes, she will appeal more to rationality. Salvor, inosfar as established, seemed a bit too accepting of that logic but they might be going somewhere with that. Maybe. 

I'm not sure I want to like this series, but I do. Isn't that weird.

Edited by JGP

Oh, the thing I spoilered is not new. I missed that we see the cover of the box towards the end of last season's finale, before she rips off her face (what a strange thing to write!)

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Oh, the thing I spoilered is not new. I missed that we see the cover of the box towards the end of last season's finale, before she rips off her face (what a strange thing to write!)

What a perfectly normal, common, every day English language sentence! You know, up there with...the terminator is the governor of California! :D 

@Ran I think CinemaWins would have to give 10 wins for Lee Pace's work out routine. Very well shot to manage that entire sequence of him being quite active without displaying anything it didn't want to show.

It remains absolutely gorgeous, the colour and costumes in the throne room and the pigments for the mural all looked fantastic.

I don't think anything was too annoying for me as a naive watcher (going to stick with that term for watching without knowing the source material) but nothing fantastic either, and the underwater stuff was eye roll. I could have done with just skipping that lol.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yeah, visually the show remains stunning. The VFX of the space sequences are really something else.

By some distance the best thing about this show. Although, I rewatched Dune on a 4K bluray over the weekend. For me, the best ever onscreen depiction of spaceships 'n stuff.

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yeah, visually the show remains stunning. The VFX of the space sequences are really something else.

@IlyaP

It basically has nothing to do with the books any longer at this point. 

Seldon’s ghost trapped in a mechanical gizmo?  That he can then “escape” and confront living characters?  

Yeah… we’re way afield from the books.

7 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

For someone who hasn’t read the source material - Is it a good science fiction show worth watching? 

I'd say 50% (Empire's storyline) is really good, 15 or 20% (Gaal) has potential and the remainder varies between turn your brain off and even that isn't enough.

One of the things I found most intriguing from the first episode hasn't really been paid off and I'm not sure it's going to.

It's pretty enough to watch just for that though, and when you don't have attachment to the source material pissing you off it's easier to enjoy that.

Thought the scenes with Empire and Dominion were fantastic, managing to combine tension and chemistry. Ella-Rae Smith certainly has presence, I don't think I'd seen her in anything more than a minor role in the Witcher before but hope to see more from her now.

The other storylines?

Spoiler

I really didn't need the dangerous escape from the storm, didn't feel like it advanced anything - they could have just safely left atmosphere and moved on to more important things. The "drowning" to get a vision of the future was once again made much more dramatic than it needed to be. The Mule being able to see that she was watching from the past and choke her there is more than creepy enough on it's own if done right. I've found that particular thing really confronting when it's come up in other stories, I think because it's a similar sort of leap to something in a fictional story being able to perceive the audience which brings the real us into the tension.

But by framing it with the drowning thing it's distracting from what should be scary instead of leaning into it.

The Terminus/Foundation stuff I'm going to level the even worse criticism at - I just didn't care about it at all at this point.

Just watched the first episode of the first season. Visually stunning and very impressive and so far I’m invested enough in the story and the characters. I think they set things up fairly well…I have no idea where this story is going though (never read Asimov for my sins…) 

12 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I’ve just started the first season and this doesn’t fill me with confidence :lol: 

I can't agree with Spooky on that one lol, I really liked half of the episode. And there's plenty that's still far worse than the bad half.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:06 AM, karaddin said:

I can't agree with Spooky on that one lol, I really liked half of the episode. And there's plenty that's still far worse than the bad half.

You know, I kinda now just wanna watch this, since, if you're enjoying it, there must be *something* good there.

Edited by IlyaP