Apple's TV show based on Asimov's FOUNDATION, starring Jared Harris

Werthead

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Ah, bollocks. Salvor - the worst character - is still in it. Thought this was 100 years later.

She is in stasis for awhile.

I'm watching it for the Empire storyline, and honestly, the visuals and production of the show are just so jaw-droppingly good that I could watch the bad half on mute just to take in the stuff they're doing visually.

50 minutes ago, Ran said:

She is in stasis for awhile.

I'm watching it for the Empire storyline, and honestly, the visuals and production of the show are just so jaw-droppingly good that I could watch the bad half on mute just to take in the stuff they're doing visually.

This show is still going? HOW? 

HOW. 

Season 1 felt like it didn't understand the text *at all*.

On 11/20/2021 at 7:23 PM, Ran said:

Basically, all the Terminus stuff has been the attempt to actually adapt Foundation. The Invictus story is very loosely based on the novel. The Hari appearing on Terminus and making peace with Anacreon (and Thespin) is loosely adapted from the book as well. But Goyer is proving that Foundation, as written, is not adaptable (at least by him, though I think maybe by anyone) -- its characters are thin and much of it is just people talking, talking, talking.

This should be like, on posters for this show, as like, negative marketing, because this just nails it right on the damn head. 

39 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

This should be like, on posters for this show, as like, negative marketing, because this just nails it right on the damn head. 

That said, Lee Pace, Terrence Mann, and Laura Birn make the Empire side of the story (which is the invented half, basically!) worth watching.

I don't know why Apple has invested in a second season, but I'm for it. I won't expect a third season, though.

13 minutes ago, Ran said:

That said, Lee Pace, Terrence Mann, and Laura Birn make the Empire side of the story (which is the invented half, basically!) worth watching.

I don't know why Apple has invested in a second season, but I'm for it. I won't expect a third season, though.

I stuck with it until the big plot twist about Salvor and then I just couldn't.  The show reminds of the Stephen Donaldson quote: "There's only one way to hurt someone whose lost everything.  Give him back something broken."  

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Season 1 felt like it didn't understand the text *at all*.

I'm not even sure why it's called "Foundation." It's one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen.

That being said, if they'd had some balls, they'd have made the same show under a different name and I might have found it decent.

That's the thing that irks me with this show: as an adaptation it's dismal, but on its own it's not that bad.
In fact, around me, those who've read the books hate it, those who haven't quite like it.

5 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I'm not even sure why it's called "Foundation." It's one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen.

That being said, if they'd had some balls, they'd have made the same show under a different name and I might have found it decent.

That's the thing that irks me with this show: as an adaptation it's dismal, but on its own it's not that bad.
In fact, around me, those who've read the books hate it, those who haven't quite like it.

That's the thing.  I keep trying to fit in the frame of the novels (and short stories) I loved and it gives you cognitive dissonance. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not having any familiarity with the source material doesn't save the Terminus/Salvor storyline, or at least it didn't for me lol. But Emperor Pace was great and I was really interested in Gaal if they ever let her character do anything other than being shuffled around in stasis.

Leaving the 'Foundation' name off wouldn't have deterred me in any way though, so its not like they gained anything there even with a non book fan.

Is this meant to be adapting Foundation and Empire? 'cause, uh...I...don't see it? @karaddin I'm inclined to take your approach and just treat it as an SF show with the name Foundation stapled to it after the matter, as...this...doesn't seem to the reflect the books, which I read only a few years ago and thought were goddamn fabulous, particularly Foundation's Edge

Livestream of the first episode of the first season, with David Goyer in the chat answering questions.

I have discovered that Jane Espenson is involved in a lot of the scripts this second season. Hopefully that is a plus. 

ETA: As for the trailer, it seems very action heavy, but that said, I am here for the Empire story, so I don't mind.

Edited by Ran