Authors Behaving Like A**holes

Myshkin

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

OK uh, you guys get up to some weird stuff when I'm not here.

Not to continue the derail too much but when you said the daily mail was a liberal rag..that was a joke right? Or am I thinking of a different web site.

I was being sarcastic, because certain posters have already expressed opinions about the Guardian. Basically if an outlet of steady Murdoch effluvium like the Daily Mail is publishing an article critical of someone whining about diversity (I guess Fox and @Heartofice do see color sometimes) then the diversity-whiner really doesn't have a leg to stand on.

8 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I was being sarcastic, because certain posters have already expressed opinions about the Guardian. Basically if an outlet of steady Murdoch effluvium like the Daily Mail is publishing an article critical of someone whining about diversity (I guess Fox and @Heartofice do see color sometimes) then the diversity-whiner really doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Ha OK, yeah, just..had a brain fart for a second there.

13 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I don’t disagree with your substantive point but just to clarify, the Mail isn’t Murdoch, that is The Sun. i’m drawing a blank on who The Mail is though

6 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I don’t disagree with your substantive point but just to clarify, the Mail isn’t Murdoch, that is The Sun. i’m drawing a blank on who The Mail is though

Wow, how have I not known that all this time? Thank you for the correction. It appears the Mail is owned by this group:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMG_Media

Sorry for the continued digression, Ran.

24 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Let me try and bring things back to books.

GOR! I remember seeing the VHS for the film(yes there was a film)  in the SFF section of blockbusters(ask your parents) and wanting to watch it and my parents were like Nope. Later I found out why.

I have an active imagination but I can't begin to imagine what that film must have been like!  And, made, when? the mid-late-eighties?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095241/

Ay-up, it sure is, 1987!  One of the eras of the worst hair for women evah!

Gor was widely panned upon its release (and subsequently remembered) for its poor production value and camp. 

I called up some images from the movie via Google.  Women carrying swords?  Surely that's anti-Gor!  Women can't fight, don't have weapons and are incapable of doing anything but to be made trophy and booty sex slaves.  Or am I mistaking what is and what is not the Gor Philosophy for happy, fulfilled men and women?

Holy cow!  The entire thing is on Youtube here, though the images are not sharp and the color's going.  Moreover the credits say both Jack Palance and Oliver Reed are in it.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

@Darth Richard IIdo we even have the Mail in Australia? Since moving here, I've seen the Terrorgraph (an insult to my initial area of study and occupation), the SMH, Guardian AU, and the local magazine/newspapers (we get one up our way, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you what it's called). 

That said, nothing - and I mean *nothing* - will ever surpass the NT News as the strangest newspaper of all time. It's like The Fortean Times for Australia. 

40 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

GOR! I remember seeing the VHS for the film(yes there was a film)  in the SFF section of blockbusters(ask your parents) and wanting to watch it and my parents were like Nope. Later I found out why.

Isn't this based on a completely wild and insane set of books? John Norman, I believe? I've never seen them in print. ...Which is probably for the best, I imagine.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:35 PM, IlyaP said:

My goal here was not to further the strand of thought concerning plagiarism. 

Rather: imagine how weird it would be to have someone from a different culture and cultural context write about your culture in a way that rang hollow and false and have that writer be applauded for it. 

I assume most rationale people probably wouldn't give a fuck. Arseholes arent worth wasting your time worrying about.

But then I'm not from a marginalised part of society.  

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

Women can't fight, don't have weapons and are incapable of doing anything but to be made trophy and booty sex slaves. 

I don't know anything about the film, but Norman introduced a version of Amazons called "panther girls" who mistakingly believe that they are happy as independent warriors and outlaws but are really just waiting for someone to enslave them.

The first Gor books were from the mid-later '60s, I believe.  That they were a pipsqueak academic male's sex fantasies about bondage and rape wasn't clear in the first 3 or so.  They were in the tradition of Burrough's John Carter of Mars then, including a beautiful marriage of soul mates.  But then ... things changed.  There are dozens of the things, or so it seemed.  I found them, like many, when quite young, like many excited about a sword & sorcery, other planet adventure series, like Leigh Brackett's novels.  But after the protagonist's wife gets kidnapped, she disappears from the narrative and Tarl Cabot's adventures become only about sex and slavery, with all the attention on breaking down a woman through sex and punishment.  No story, no adventure, no fun, but constant yuck, and really man? this shyte? again?

In about 1987, I think, I attended a panel held at a splendid bookstore on Columbus Circle that hasn't existed now for decades, that included Norman and ... Asimov.  The shyte that came out of Norman's mouth garnered actual boos from the people there.  And Asimov himself, demonstrated in the mill and beverage part afterwards, his handsyness upon the bodies of all the young women who came near him, for that matter.  I never could regard either him or his books the same way again after that.

Anyway!  All by a long-winded response that I quit reading those books long before the appearance of panther girls, I guess.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

And Asimov himself, demonstrated in the mill and beverage part afterwards, his handsyness upon the bodies of all the young women who came near him, for that matter.

I just learned about this recently. It is much ick.

Archived