Will Dany burn Essos on the way to Westeros?

Jon The Dragon

7 minutes ago, Jon The Dragon said:

You are right in some points, but in other ways they are definitely better. Yes they can wage war and do savage things, but that isn't the sole purpose of their culture. Other than the Freedmen, Dany's forces all have questionable things about them and are solely based on or around war. The Golden Company isn't going about raping people, nor are other houses (with the exception of the Ironborn). I'm not saying it doesn't happen in Westeros because it does, individuals are doing whatever. That isn't the chosen way of Westerosi culture as a whole it seems, excluding the Wildlings with how they get their women, The Lannisters in KL during Roberts rebellion, Mountains men and Ramsay & co.

Of course they are going to retaliate, their whole existence and livelihood is under threat, I agree with you there. They are definitely about to reap what they sowed. At the moment Dany's forces are doing good and are perceived as such, as its against the slavers. Once that force is on the move to different places without any slavers, then her forces could be viewed in a negative light. Her army will be seen as foreign rapers out to take everything Westerosi people hold dear. With her will come the army to rape, dragons to burn and a religion intent on conquest, they seem to only know one way to achieve that goal. If her only tool is a hammer then every problem must be a nail. She seems to lack people who can talk and negotiate for her, everyone is a military mind instead of a political one. 

TBH, I think Martin is pretty sarcastic about knighthood in Westeros.  There are people like Dunk, Ser Arthur Dayne, and Barristan, and Brienne who live up to the ideal, but most are brutes in war, even if not as bad as Ser Gregor Clegane.  Robb Stark's lords hanged women who " lay with lions" and stuck Pretty Pia in the stocks to be raped.

There were alternatives open to the Slavers.  Gradual emancipation was one.  Merchants in Liverpool and Bristol found other commodities to trade in, after 1807.  Why can't the Masters of Slavers Bay and Volantis?

27 minutes ago, SeanF said:

TBH, I think Martin is pretty sarcastic about knighthood in Westeros.  There are people like Dunk, Ser Arthur Dayne, and Barristan, and Brienne who live up to the ideal, but most are brutes in war, even if not as bad as Ser Gregor Clegane.  Robb Stark's lords hanged women who " lay with lions" and stuck Pretty Pia in the stocks to be raped.

There were alternatives open to the Slavers.  Gradual emancipation was one.  Merchants in Liverpool and Bristol found other commodities to trade in, after 1807.  Why can't the Masters of Slavers Bay and Volantis?

I agree, Jaime is also an interesting look at Westerosi knights, in some strange ways he is more honourable than the 6 other Targ KG, he was the only one to not stand for the people being killed, all of the other KG turned a blind eye and Barristan still will. They all have their flaws, suppose that just shows they are human.

Daario had suggested to Daenerys to end the Harpy's war by killing all inhabitants of the pyramides.

The Shakpaz had suggested to kill first one, then two, then four, and so on, of the noble familie's members for each of the Freedmen or Unsullied killed in the Streets of Mereen.

Daenerys chose the peaceful way at that time and refused those two proposals.

Now, she might reconsider, and I think she will.

17 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

So, according to you, what happens to Volantis will be very different from what happens to Meereen. Because the slaves of Volantis are explicit getting their ducks in a row and preparing themselves for her arrival...

It won't, because that revolt will still be a direct conseuence of her arrival - even if it happens before she actually arrives to the area.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:30 PM, Jon The Dragon said:

Will she burn the cities in the area of the Old Valyrian Freehold on the way to Westeros? I do wonder if she will travel along the Devil Road which she saw as the road home on her flight on Drogon. She would be massively feared upon arrival with god knows how many people she frees / follow her.

I don't expect the time span of the remainder of the series to be greater than ten years.  It would take that long to organize a march and conquer all of those cities.  There will be other factions fighting battles besides Dany and her dragons.  I don't even think she will be at the Battle of Fire.  She might burn Qarth, depending on what they choose to do with their slaves. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2019 at 8:23 AM, BlackLightning said:

Like what was she supposed to do? Die on the streets of Vaes Dothrak? Elope with Ser Jorah and sell off her three dragon eggs? Or should she have just died in infancy?

She had 3 opportunities to stay and build something worthwhile. Once with Drogo and their child, once in Vaes Tolerro, and once in Meereen. Each time, she thought the same things, and fell back on her brother's words.

This decision:

“If I were not the blood of the dragon, she thought wistfully, this could be my home. She was khaleesi, she had a strong man and a swift horse, handmaids to serve her, warriors to keep her safe, an honored place in the dosh khaleen awaiting her when she grew old . . . and in her womb grew a son who would one day bestride the world. That should be enough for any woman . . . but not for the dragon. With Viserys gone, Daenerys was the last, the very last. She was the seed of kings and conquerors, and so too the child inside her. She must not forget.” - Daenerys, AGOT

Is the same as this one:

“He must have known how they mocked him. Small wonder he turned so angry and bitter. In the end it had driven him mad. It will do the same to me if I let it. Part of her would have liked nothing more than to lead her people back to Vaes Tolorro, and make the dead city bloom. No, that is defeat. I have something Viserys never had. I have the dragons. The dragons are all the difference.” - Daenerys, ACOK

And the same as this one:

“Meereen was not her home, and never would be. It was a city of strange men with strange gods and stranger hair, of slavers wrapped in fringed tokars, where grace was earned through whoring, butchery was art, and dog was a delicacy. Meereen would always be the Harpy’s city, and Daenerys could not be a harpy.” ...“I was weary of war. I wanted to rest, to laugh, to plant trees and see them grow. I am only a young girl.” ... “No. You are the blood of the dragon. The whispering was growing fainter, as if Ser Jorah were falling farther behind. Dragons plant no trees. Remember that. Remember who you are, what you were made to be. Remember your words.
“Fire and Blood,” Daenerys told the swaying grass.” - Daenerys, ADWD

I don't know where people are getting the idea that Dany is serious about ending slavery at the end of ADWD. For one, slavery exists all over the world, and she can't end it everywhere in a short time just by using the child's option (burning cities). Secondly, she's focused on her brother when she makes these decisions. She is trying to remember what he told her about herself. Which isn't good. Dany can be whomever she wants and live wherever she wants; she doesn't have to be "the blood of the dragon" or the "golden blood of Old Valyria" in Westeros. These are symbols of blood purity, conquering, and slavery. She reaches the same conclusion in book 5 as she did in book 1. Dany convinces herself that she doesn’t belong in whatever place she’s in, and has to go to Westeros where her "destiny awaits" (another bad sign).  These scenes indicate that she isn’t serious about ruling anything in Essos but she’s very serious about fulfilling Viserys’ Valyrian supremacist ideas. So in sum, Dany talks herself out of staying in Essos to fight slavery for the rest of her life, talks herself out of being a good ruler who has the patience to build something worthwhile, and makes no progress across 4 books. 

Bonus example (from Book 3 since I'm a completist):

“Once on a voyage to Braavos, as she’d watched the crew wrestle down a great green sail in a rising gale, she had even thought how fine it would be to be a sailor. But when she told her brother, Viserys had twisted her hair until she cried. “You are blood of the dragon,” he had screamed at her. “A dragon, not some smelly fish.”

Whenever she returns to these thoughts of "who she is," she's internalizing a supremacist message that was made under an abusive past. She's not some smelly fishdothraki, harpy, gardner, queen of meereen. She's the blood of Aegon the Dragon!!!

....little does she know that's also the blood of "Aegon the Unworthy, Maegor the Cruel, and Baelor the Befuddled."

On 11/24/2019 at 9:30 PM, Jon The Dragon said:

Will she burn the cities in the area of the Old Valyrian Freehold on the way to Westeros? I do wonder if she will travel along the Devil Road which she saw as the road home on her flight on Drogon. She would be massively feared upon arrival with god knows how many people she frees / follow her.

Dany's story is about the use of power.  She's the only person whom I would trust to have three dragons and an army of Unsullied soldiers.  The rest, like the Greyjoys and the Starks, are interested in power or getting even with people who fought against their family.  She is the only person of power who wants to help people and improve their opportunities.  While I have no doubt that a few slaver cities will have to go down in flames in order to break the power of the slave masters, it will only be to the extent needed to break the slave master's abilities to maintain slavery. 

On 11/24/2019 at 9:38 PM, Targaryen Restoration said:

Mantarys is said to be evil.  That means slavers.  I don't think she will necessarily battle every city in between Slaver's Bay and Westeros.  She will inspire the slaves to free themselves from their masters.  The slaves outnumber the slavers in Volantis.  All they need is a spark of hope to push them towards freedom.  Yeah so the slaves will free themselves.  They are watching what will happen in Mereen.  A successful liberation in Mereen is the green light they need.

Essos is much too big to conquer.  The slaves will need that spark to get their spirits up and help themselves.  The light of freedom will be seen all across Essos and uplift the hearts of these slaves to fight their masters.  Freedom will have to be won and the slaves have to be willing to fight to keep themselves free. 

On 11/25/2019 at 3:45 AM, Jon The Dragon said:

We have still got to see how the potential bad influences around her might change her course and outlook for their own gain. Volantis is definitely ready for some freedom, would be good to get a POV inside the Black Walls in the next book.

+1 on this, a good look behind the black Wall is my absolute dream

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2020 at 9:18 PM, Josette DuPres said:

Dany's story is about the use of power.  She's the only person whom I would trust to have three dragons and an army of Unsullied soldiers.  The rest, like the Greyjoys and the Starks, are interested in power or getting even with people who fought against their family.  She is the only person of power who wants to help people and improve their opportunities.  While I have no doubt that a few slaver cities will have to go down in flames in order to break the power of the slave masters, it will only be to the extent needed to break the slave master's abilities to maintain slavery. 

Essos is much too big to conquer.  The slaves will need that spark to get their spirits up and help themselves.  The light of freedom will be seen all across Essos and uplift the hearts of these slaves to fight their masters.  Freedom will have to be won and the slaves have to be willing to fight to keep themselves free. 

On 1/14/2020 at 2:38 AM, Greywater-Watch said:

Dany probably hasn't to burn Essos by herself. It would suffice if she flew with Drogon over Volantis, for all to see, and the slaves would go mad and revolt. And so forth with further cities.

It will be leaders like the old lady at the docks who will lead the slave revolt.  Benerro might play an important role as well.  Dany will be the inspiration.  The prophecy of the slaves with bloody hands reaching out will again be fulfilled.   

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

It comes back to omlettes/eggs.  A lot of violence will be required to end Essosi slavery.  As has so often been the case in real life.

A lot of violence was required to stop the Nazis.  Violence was needed to stop the southern states during the civil war.  Both the Nazis and the South deserve the blame for this violence because they made it necessary.  

On 1/13/2020 at 3:20 PM, Rose of Red Lake said:

Bonus example (from Book 3 since I'm a completist):

Whenever she returns to these thoughts of "who she is," she's internalizing a supremacist message that was made under an abusive past. She's not some smelly fishdothraki, harpy, gardner, queen of meereen. She's the blood of Aegon the Dragon!!!

....little does she know that's also the blood of "Aegon the Unworthy, Maegor the Cruel, and Baelor the Befuddled."

Well...

AGoT, Daenerys IX

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys IX

The Dothraki exchanged uncertain glances. "Khaleesi," the handmaid Irri explained, as if to a child, "Jhaqo is a khal now, with twenty thousand riders at his back."

She lifted her head. "And I am Daenerys Stormborn, Daenerys of House Targaryen, of the blood of Aegon the Conqueror and Maegor the Cruel and old Valyria before them. I am the dragon's daughter, and I swear to you, these men will die screaming. Now bring me to Khal Drogo."

55 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well...

AGoT, Daenerys IX

The Dothraki exchanged uncertain glances. "Khaleesi," the handmaid Irri explained, as if to a child, "Jhaqo is a khal now, with twenty thousand riders at his back."

She lifted her head. "And I am Daenerys Stormborn, Daenerys of House Targaryen, of the blood of Aegon the Conqueror and Maegor the Cruel and old Valyria before them. I am the dragon's daughter, and I swear to you, these men will die screaming. Now bring me to Khal Drogo."

Funnily enough, she's not of the blood of Maegor.

34 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Funnily enough, she's not of the blood of Maegor.

Also not of the Young Dragon if you want to count only direct ancestors, but that's not really how it has to be done - especially not with a bunch if incest brats.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:57 PM, kissdbyfire said:

Well...

AGoT, Daenerys IX

Ha, I wasn’t suggesting Dany is literally unaware of descending from those guys. I meant she’s unaware of how bad that looks. While Dany is touting these names to inflate her status, Tyrion knows it actually deflates her and isn’t something to brag about . Tyrion’s internal retort is a great line.

Archived