Awards Season 2020 - Movies Edition: Once Upon a Time... (SAG Nominations)

Mladen

8 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

So...I'm coming back to the whole casting nominations issue. Someone else just pointed out that the last movie to win Best Picture without having a single acting nomination was Slumdog Millionaire. Listen, I'm not trying to start trouble or anything, and the sample size is really rather small, but this is a little bit suspect. No? Does the predominantly white (I assume, as I do with all powerful bodies) voting board simply not find non-white people/characters relatable/emotive...?

Bear in mind that 1917, which was touted to win and was no doubt second place in the preferential ballot, also had no acting nominations. 2018's Dunkirk had many nominations, including Best Picture, but also no acting nominations.

Ensemble films like Slumdog Millionaire  and Parasite often get few, if any, actor nominations even if they make it to Best Picture nomination. The infamous victory of Crash back in 2004 or 2005 had only Matt Dillon as a nominee, despite reasonable choices available in all the categories. 

You'll find that calls for the Oscars to adopt the Best Ensemble award from SAG are not uncommon (as mentioned here in the course of an alternative proposal of Best Casting to cover the same ground in a more Oscars-like way).

14 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

So...I'm coming back to the whole casting nominations issue. Someone else just pointed out that the last movie to win Best Picture without having a single acting nomination was Slumdog Millionaire. Listen, I'm not trying to start trouble or anything, and the sample size is really rather small, but this is a little bit suspect. No? Does the predominantly white (I assume, as I do with all powerful bodies) voting board simply not find non-white people/characters relatable/emotive...? I don't have the words for it, and I certainly don't have the technical know-how of filmmaking, but something certainly feels "not quite okay," even though I don't know how to express it. As someone who enjoys cinema, my opinion is that something is wrong here.

Also because there was a debate about the sort of black characters that get acting nominations. Usually, they're freedom fighter types, or slaves. I mean, the sole POC to get an acting nomination this year was Cynthia Erivo for Harriet...like, something is making me uncomfortable for sure. Very uncomfortable.

I wondered the same thing when Return of the King didn't get any acting nominations.

I couldn't put my finger on it.. something not okay about that. I didn't want to start any trouble about it, but you know, I guess the sample size is rather small, but its a bit suspect isn't it? I mean the biggest movie of the year in such a huge franchise, and Hollywood chose to exclude all the Hobbits?! 

#Oscarssohumansized

Also notice that when Hobbits do get cast in movies, it's always as thieves! It makes me uncomfortable for sure. VERY uncomfortable.

Hollywood does more of what's already worked.    Slave stories are as serious as it gets, so it's like, "you better take this seriously."   So that breaks through and gets awards.  Stories about more ordinary struggles don't, because then you get the reemergence of the mostly anglo academy attitude, "Eh, these aren't really my struggles being told in this story, so it's natural that they don't appeal to me quite as much, so i don't feel it enough to vote for it unless one reaches out to touch me unexpectedly, which only happens kind of randomly

Then the people of the unrewarded group feel it's beyond time for another win, so they go back to what worked before.   Like how batman and spiderman keep telling us about what happened to their folks.   

Once enough new talent in front of and behind the camera get up and running and can establish their shine, then refine & polish their next movie even further until even stories of ordinary life get noticed as oscar-consideration worthy.   Then, a new thing has worked.  And hollywood will rinse and repeat that new territory, now that it's established as serious contender stuff.  And maybe then less reliance on the material we're tired of seeing.   

Right now there's lots of Madea.  Not the corporate backing and industry wide push to put lots of quality into every phase of the productions.  Because that isn't proven.  Once it's a viable thing to do, it'll become infectious.  The best writers and editors will be partnered with projects they didn't used to want in on, etc.,    And the good times will have arrived for that underserved audience. 

The womens are trying wholesale NXT Takeover style movies right now, of Ghostbusters, Birds of Prey, etc. and finding minimal audience participation.   The next wave of attempts will tweak the formula until they find the right mix for women-centric movies that also manage to make male viewers feel welcomed.  I didn't hate the idea of a Femmebusters film with McCarthy, I only became disgusted with it after getting a feel for how short of the mark they'd fallen in terms of "nailing it."   That's when it became an insult to my favorite movie ever.  And that quality level improves with practice.  Well, in Melissa's case, maybe not.  She's had lots of reps.  But you know what I mean.  Rebel Wilson is kicking my ass on youtube this week as my feed is addicted to all her awards show presenter clips.  And her last few movies have qualified as events in my mind, where I felt welcome to check them out.   And Ms. 30 Rock is kind of a Christ-like figure after Sisters.   So over time people will expand their notion of 'mainstream' if good enough entertainment is there to teach them to.    TLDR:   it's a chicken-and-the-egg problem.   Because if no good efforts are being produced, there's nothing to teach me to expect good stuff or seek more of it out.   It's gotta start with studios taking more chances.  

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Ricky Gervais is one of the most irritating up himself twats in british comedy  as far as i’m concerned and i cannot fathom his popularity. 

I suppose it's because even when people recognise he is a bit of a twat, he really goes in hard on much bigger twats. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I suppose it's because even when people recognise he is a bit of a twat, he really goes in hard on much bigger twats. 

Outside of the Office I think he’s been exposed as being really quite unfunny and not an especially talented comedian. I’ve disliked almost everything he has done apart from a handful of episodes of Extras. He’s really ridden the coat tails of people like Stephen Merchant at times and the more tv he makes the more obvious it is that he’s not very funny.

BUT I was very happy to see him stand in front of a bunch of self serving celebrities and tell it to them straight. Take your award, say thank you and f**k off. Enough with the political statements and teary eyed appeals to combat injustice you obscenely well paid professional liars! 

15 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I wondered the same thing when Return of the King didn't get any acting nominations.

I couldn't put my finger on it.. something not okay about that. I didn't want to start any trouble about it, but you know, I guess the sample size is rather small, but its a bit suspect isn't it? I mean the biggest movie of the year in such a huge franchise, and Hollywood chose to exclude all the Hobbits?! 

#Oscarssohumansized

Also notice that when Hobbits do get cast in movies, it's always as thieves! It makes me uncomfortable for sure. VERY uncomfortable.

Ugh. sigh. 

Archived