Videogames : Cyberpunk Samurai edition.

Red Tiger

Got an email from SquareEnix about the reveal of their new Co-Op Shooter "Outriders."  I presume that means a Destiny/Anthem clone?  Have not heard anything about it before now.

26 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Got an email from SquareEnix about the reveal of their new Co-Op Shooter "Outriders."  I presume that means a Destiny/Anthem clone?  Have not heard anything about it before now.

Look's like it. Odd that it's only 1-3 players. I never played Anthem because of the terrible reviews but loved both Destinys and Divisions. Both sequels though I basically just played the campaign and the launch endgame stuff and then moved on. I know a lot of people play these games 5+ hours a day and then complain there's no more content, but if you just play them like regular games they're great fun. 

I saw there was new DLC from Dead Cells for $5, plus an older free one I've never played. I've still never been able to beat that game. So I think I'll try that again and then take another shot at Frostpunk. 

Wizards of the Coast may be onto something here. They've regrouped several of the "classic BioWare" team at their new video game studio, Archetype, where they are working on a new single-player SF CRPG. The big draw is Drew Karpyshyn, a key writer on Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect 1 and 2 (but notably not 3) as well as The Old Republic.

WotC and Hasbro have dipped their toes into video games before, but half-heartedly. This time around it sounds like they're going all-in. Also interesting that they're doing something original rather than using one of Hasbro's big brands (D&DMagic: The Gathering etc).

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Wizards of the Coast may be onto something here. They've regrouped several of the "classic BioWare" team at their new video game studio, Archetype, where they are working on a new single-player SF CRPG. The big draw is Drew Karpyshyn, a key writer on Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect 1 and 2 (but notably not 3) as well as The Old Republic.

WotC and Hasbro have dipped their toes into video games before, but half-heartedly. This time around it sounds like they're going all-in. Also interesting that they're doing something original rather than using one of Hasbro's big brands (D&DMagic: The Gathering etc).

Getting Karpyshyn is huge. Definitely interested in this. 

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

If it's a CRPG, it may be more on the isometric side, not the Mass Effect side. 

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

If it's a CRPG, it may be more on the isometric side, not the Mass Effect side. 

Depends on the budget. Mass Effect is a CRPG (albeit a streamlined one) as well.

Certainly WotC and Hasbro have the money to invest in a $50-100 million video game which would be a lot more AAA-looking if they really wanted to do that, it just depends if that's what they're going for or something more retro. My feeling is that they've identified a gap in the market for the kind of CRPGs BioWare were making in their most popular period (from say KotOR through Mass Effect 3), 20-25 hour games with strong characters, and want to go after that same area. People like Obsidian, inXile, Larian and Owlcat have the isometric thing pretty heavily locked down now.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Depends on the budget. Mass Effect is a CRPG (albeit a streamlined one) as well.

Certainly WotC and Hasbro have the money to invest in a $50-100 million video game which would be a lot more AAA-looking if they really wanted to do that, it just depends if that's what they're going for or something more retro. My feeling is that they've identified a gap in the market for the kind of CRPGs BioWare were making in their most popular period (from say KotOR through Mass Effect 3), 20-25 hour games with strong characters, and want to go after that same area. People like Obsidian, inXile, Larian and Owlcat have the isometric thing pretty heavily locked down now.

Isn't ME also on XBox? That's what I was mainly referring to.

Aztez and Kingdom Come: Deliverance are both free on the Epic Store this week. Aztez is a fiendish Aztec strategy/beat 'em up hybrid (yup) and is diverting. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a massive semi-open-world historical RPG with impressive graphics. I've seen some people compare it to The Witcher 3 although that's probably a bit hyperbolic, but it is pretty huge (maybe around three-quarters the length of The Witcher 3 which is still much bigger than just about any other non-Bethesda RPG ever released) and the historical setting is intriguing.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Wow.  For all my (justified) concerns about splitting the game up, it really does look amazing.

Kinda wished they’d just waited 10 years. Then released the whole thing on some mega system that we can’t even fathom yet. 

Edit: Guess that’s pretty selfish of me. Wasn’t thinking of some players who may not be around in ten years :blush:. (All of us I suppose. A meteorite can always come ploughing through our heads any second) I’m sorry. 

Let us all just insert that nostalgia straight into our bloodstreams and enjoy. 

Someone mentioned  Cities: Skylines a bit ago. So I bought it because I was in the mood for a city builder, and screw EA. And I enjoy it. But I do have one major complaint. 

Which is, why isn’t there a wider entertainment building selection?

No aquariums /movie theaters/ museums/ bowling alleys/ etc. etc. 

All there seems to be are parks. 

Come on Paradox people. What boring-ass. lame-ass cities did you grow up in where you think that is normal?

8 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Someone mentioned  Cities: Skylines a bit ago. So I bought it because I was in the mood for a city builder, and screw EA. And I enjoy it. But I do have one major complaint. 

Which is, why isn’t there a wider entertainment building selection?

No aquariums /movie theaters/ museums/ bowling alleys/ etc. etc. 

All there seems to be are parks. 

Come on Paradox people. What boring-ass. lame-ass cities did you grow up in where you think that is normal?

Cities: Skylines was made on a budget that can charitably called "borderline non-existent" so a lot of that fine detail was missing on release.

Fortunately they were aware of this and some of that stuff has been added in expansions but, even better, most has made it in via free user updates. You can get a decent bowling alley here, for example. Feel free to go mad and add a few hundred of the options from the workship (bearing in mind you'll have to scroll through them all in the game menus).

So... yesterday evening I continued my Elite Dangerous trip into the void for a bit, though admittedly not by too much. After a while my mousewhile for some reason refused to work. Since it worked today again after violently pushing it a couple dozen times I assume it was either stuck or a loose electronic connection. Either way, you've got to easily look around the cockpit if you explore and I wasn't exactly able to do that anymore. Especially since I kept finding Water Worlds to map, given that those give a lot of money. One of them a pretty impressive one. 11 times the size of Earth and with a huge ring: https://s19.directupload.net/images/200215/cizzk6ke.jpg

My headcanon is that it tore a moon apart with its gravity. maneuvering between the rings and its atmosphere was pretty tricky as well.

While I was at it, I also made a screenshot of my view when looking "down": https://s19.directupload.net/images/200215/u6j3z8ag.jpg

I'm not exactly below the galaxy anymore, but I am still skirting at the edge of it, now 3000 lightyears away from the bubble (which... still seems only like an insignificant little trip around the corner... space still keeps amazing me with how vast it is). But you can still see what severely confused me the first time I reached the edge of the galaxy. I expected to either see a vast black void or a sky dotted with galaxies. But instead my view is completely obscured by these weird red clouds. My Google sweep hasn't returned any results whether this is actually based on telescope observation and it seems far too huge (and red) to be the Magellan clouds. What exactly is this again?

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Ha. People have been far lower (with some cheat-ish help from Frontier) before. I think the red clouds are just a phenomenon local to that region.

Aww crap. They are pretty much everywhere though and the low density of stars makes it extremely difficult to find a path further away from the galaxy. While I looked up the red clouds phenomenon I also read that it is easier to head down near the galactic core. Since I was about to turn towards there after a while anyway I might make another try.

On 2/13/2020 at 8:31 AM, Werthead said:

Mass Effect 2--my son and I were just talking today about how amazing that game is. 

Archived