NFL: Super Bowl, offseason and quarterback musical chairs

DanteGabriel

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just wrote in the NBA that I think the 2019-20 will inevitably get cancelled. I don't think that will happen with the NFL, but there's a good chance the season gets messed up. If when end up with several months without physical interactions, how will the NFL adjust to all it's camps and the preseason getting pushed back perhaps by several months?

Can't see the NFL getting messed up at all. I mean it's March... I'm not prepared to look that far into the future. Say everything is back to normal by July, right around training camp, why would anything have to change based on that timeline? Does the new CBA eliminate minicamps/ota's? Are was that something the players were trying to get? I might not be remembering correctly.

10 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Can't see the NFL getting messed up at all. I mean it's March... I'm not prepared to look that far into the future. Say everything is back to normal by July, right around training camp, why would anything have to change based on that timeline? Does the new CBA eliminate minicamps/ota's? Are was that something the players were trying to get? I might not be remembering correctly.

I doubt everything will be back to normal by then, especially if we slip into a bad recession with a depression on the horizon, and that's a legit possibility.

Well a recession most certainly won't cause the NFL any problems, and even a true depression would only be a bump in the road for them.  The bigger question is whether the virus will be under control such that they can test players and be confident they won't have a huge breakout in training camp or after a game.  Hard to say right now, but if I were to guess, I expect the NFL will make it work somehow, they've never cared much about the health of their players.  Then there's the question of whether large gatherings of 50k+ people will be allowed starting in August/September.  My suspicion is no, they will not.  So I expect this season we'll have at least some, and possibly all of the season played for the cameras in an empty stadium.  Which would be different. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Well a recession most certainly won't cause the NFL any problems, and even a true depression would only be a bump in the road for them.  The bigger question is whether the virus will be under control such that they can test players and be confident they won't have a huge breakout in training camp or after a game.  Hard to say right now, but if I were to guess, I expect the NFL will make it work somehow, they've never cared much about the health of their players.  Then there's the question of whether large gatherings of 50k+ people will be allowed starting in August/September.  My suspicion is no, they will not.  So I expect this season we'll have at least some, and possibly all of the season played for the cameras in an empty stadium.  Which would be different. 

I'm not so sure about that Maith. An economic crisis while everything is down could make it harder to jump start everything. OTOH, it could provide the incentive to jump started for a number of reasons, be it economic, psychological or just because. 

Regarding the COVID-19 threat, who knows. We can't even game out a return to normalcy after we think we're in the clear, and who knows when that will be.

Got to say I'm feeling good about the Dolphins moves so far.  As long as they aren't trading up and get at least two O line players in the first I'll be happy.

And they have Houston's #1 next year.  

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

Got to say I'm feeling good about the Dolphins moves so far.  As long as they aren't trading up and get at least two O line players in the first I'll be happy.

And they have Houston's #1 next year.  

Seeing reports they’re going to try to trade up for Burrow. But even if they offer all 3 1sts I don’t think we’ll do it. 

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not so sure about that Maith. An economic crisis while everything is down could make it harder to jump start everything. OTOH, it could provide the incentive to jump started for a number of reasons, be it economic, psychological or just because. 

Regarding the COVID-19 threat, who knows. We can't even game out a return to normalcy after we think we're in the clear, and who knows when that will be.

I don't see this issue lasting more than another month or so, reports out of China say that the quarantining has had a huge positive effect on controlling the outbreak, we just need to follow suit. Thats mid to end of April and gives the NFL multiple months to get workouts in.

As to the recession/depression thing, that's more of an excuse to start the league as planned. To give people an escape from a crappy life. Remember what is was like post 9/11 and when those first couple sporting events came back? Now this wouldn't have that national feel but it does provide the psyche with an escape and relief it needs.

I'd honestly be surprised if MLB isn't up and running by June, finally have a season where most of the games seem to matter. 

If I was NBA or NHL commissioner  I'd be looking at an alternate way to restart their season as well. Maybe you do a NCAA style tourney, Bottom 12/16 (whatever) teams as of when they stopped playing get in, winners of that round get in to next round with the top 12/16 teams. This gives them a chance to really experiment with re seeding teams or not using conferences, just top 12 regardless. Let em use last week or two of May to get in shape and then do a tourney or best of three series, round robin etc... Obviously I am rambling here and not all is feasible, just thoughts.

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Seeing reports they’re going to try to trade up for Burrow. But even if they offer all 3 1sts I don’t think we’ll do it. 

I've seen some crazy things about trading up.  They need too much OL and DL help to take that seriously.  Hebert at 5 or Tua at 5 or best player available are all fine w me.  Or even trade back.

But i don't think blowing three first rounders to move up for a 50/50 shot is in line w the value philosophy they've been showing so far.  Jones aside they mostly signed younger guys with better than replacement floor and lots of upside.  Too much risk going all in for a QB.  

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

I don't see this issue lasting more than another month or so, reports out of China say that the quarantining has had a huge positive effect on controlling the outbreak, we just need to follow suit. Thats mid to end of April and gives the NFL multiple months to get workouts in.

As to the recession/depression thing, that's more of an excuse to start the league as planned. To give people an escape from a crappy life. Remember what is was like post 9/11 and when those first couple sporting events came back? Now this wouldn't have that national feel but it does provide the psyche with an escape and relief it needs.

I'd honestly be surprised if MLB isn't up and running by June, finally have a season where most of the games seem to matter. 

If I was NBA or NHL commissioner  I'd be looking at an alternate way to restart their season as well. Maybe you do a NCAA style tourney, Bottom 12/16 (whatever) teams as of when they stopped playing get in, winners of that round get in to next round with the top 12/16 teams. This gives them a chance to really experiment with re seeding teams or not using conferences, just top 12 regardless. Let em use last week or two of May to get in shape and then do a tourney or best of three series, round robin etc... Obviously I am rambling here and not all is feasible, just thoughts.

I think you're vastly underestimating the scale of this. I believe it was just this week that our government's top doctor said that we're around 45 days out from the worst of it, and that at best this will be here for 60 to 90 days. Worst case scenario is 18 months. We're probably just in the beginning of this, so get used to our new normal.

Also of note, don't track us with China. China cracked down in a way the we maybe should have, though it would never happen. Watch Italy and then assume either the country as a whole or just Seattle is about 10 days behind that.

Todd Gurley gets cut

His deal seemed to go south before the ink dried. Gurley is only 25 but they were talking about knee wear/tear when he was only 24. Wild stuff. I think he can be about 80% of what he was those couple seasons that got him the big deal if he goes to the right team. People are already talking about the Bucs. 

54 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Todd Gurley gets cut

His deal seemed to go south before the ink dried. Gurley is only 25 but they were talking about knee wear/tear when he was only 24. Wild stuff. I think he can be about 80% of what he was those couple seasons that got him the big deal if he goes to the right team. People are already talking about the Bucs. 

Do.

Not. 

Sign. 

RBs.

To.

Long.

Term. 

Deals!

Seriously, and it's sad for me to say because it's the position I mainly played, RBs need one of two if not both things: No rookie wage scale and a pitch count. RBs should either have their game or total season touches capped or anything above the cap automatically triggers generous bonuses. It's a crime to give those dudes >350 touches and then just cut bait.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do.

Not. 

Sign. 

RBs.

To.

Long.

Term. 

Deals!

Seriously, and it's sad for me to say because it's the position I mainly played, RBs need one of two if not both things: No rookie wage scale and a pitch count. RBs should either have their game or total season touches capped or anything above the cap automatically triggers generous bonuses. It's a crime to give those dudes >350 touches and then just cut bait.

Yeah they get a rough draw. My fears for Rb's is 1. Is this the season they get the big knee injury? 2. Is this the year they decline/over the hill, and 3. RBBC may be more efficient, why pay the big $$$ to one guy?

16 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah they get a rough draw. My fears for Rb's is 1. Is this the season they get the big knee injury? 2. Is this the year they decline/over the hill, and 3. RBBC may be more efficient, why pay the big $$$ to one guy?

RBBC is definitely the way to go, but the problem there is that you need at least two quality backs for it to work and coaching smart enough to take advantage of them.  A lot of teams don't have both of those.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

RBBC is definitely the way to go, but the problem there is that you need at least two quality backs for it to work and coaching smart enough to take advantage of them.  A lot of teams don't have both of those.

Pretty much. Even if you have a tier 1 RB, still only use him like 60% of the time until the playoffs come around.

I have no idea what the Vikings will do with Cook, but it's offensive that Kirk got all that money. Goes double for what the Titans did.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pretty much. Even if you have a tier 1 RB, still only use him like 60% of the time until the playoffs come around.

You could kind of see what I was talking about watching the Browns last year.  First half of the season while Hunt was suspended, they basically had to give Chubb all the touches because his back-ups were hot garbage.  Once Hunt got back, it became more of a 60/40 split between the two because Hunt is actually good.

13 minutes ago, briantw said:

You could kind of see what I was talking about watching the Browns last year.  First half of the season while Hunt was suspended, they basically had to give Chubb all the touches because his back-ups were hot garbage.  Once Hunt got back, it became more of a 60/40 split between the two because Hunt is actually good.

I would personally try to recreate USC's thunder and lightning model with Bush and White while having a third string utility back in case either goes down.

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I would personally try to recreate USC's thunder and lightning model with Bush and White while having a third string utility back in case either goes down.

If I were running an NFL team I'd try to grab a WR and a RB in basically every draft, with the draft position based on need.  So maybe reach a bit higher for a RB on day two if you've only got one quality guy or wait until day three if you've got two or more.  Same with WR.  If you've got one or two quality guys, reach higher.  If you've got three or more, draft an upside guy late.  

You can always trade quality players, or reap the benefits of them signing elsewhere in the form of compensatory picks. 

1 minute ago, briantw said:

If I were running an NFL team I'd try to grab a WR and a RB in every draft, with the draft position based on need.  So maybe reach a bit higher for a RB on day two if you've only got one quality guy or wait until day three if you've got two or more.  Same with WR.  If you've got one or two quality guys, reach higher.  If you've got three or more, draft an upside guy late.  

You can always trade quality players, or reap the benefits of them signing elsewhere in the form of compensatory picks. 

Maybe. I've become a believer that if there isn't anyone you really want in the first two rounds, draft back as much as possible to get a ton of thirds, fourths and fifths and take shots on guys with an issue but with a lot of upside. It's all a crap shot anyways so why not load up on mid-round picks that are cheap with upside? 

Also, with more roster spots (I think), are they going to add more rounds to the draft?

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Maybe. I've become a believer that if there isn't anyone you really want in the first two rounds, draft back as much as possible to get a ton of thirds, fourths and fifths and take shots on guys with an issue but with a lot of upside. It's all a crap shot anyways so why not load up on mid-round picks that are cheap with upside? 

Also, with more roster spots (I think), are they going to add more rounds to the draft?

Well, that's why I said day two, meaning the second or third round.  

Totally with you on trading down.  Trading down and taking advantage of compensatory picks are two moves that smart GMs make.

Archived