Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DanteGabriel

NFL: Super Bowl, offseason and quarterback musical chairs

Recommended Posts

Interesting news in this dead week before the Owl... The NFL collaboration with Jay Z has made a two minute ad/PSA about the murder of Botham Jean by a lying incompetent cop whose colleagues tried their best to cover up for her. It will feature Jean's family and air during the game. It will include vague calls for "more change."

If only some NFL player, maybe even a player who represented one of these teams in the game a few years ago, had tried before to bring attention to police brutality against black people. But apparently the NFL and Jay Z couldn't locate any such player to include in the spot.

Anyway, I wonder how football fans will react to two minutes of being reminded of things that happen outside the game.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nfl-releases-botham-jean-psa-highlighting-police-brutality-ahead-super-n1121196

Edited by DanteGabriel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Interesting news in this dead week before the Owl... The NFL collaboration with Jay Z has made a two minute ad/PSA about the murder of Botham Jean by a lying incompetent cop whose colleagues tried their best to cover up for her. It will feature Jean's family and air during the game. It will include vague calls for "more change."

If only some NFL player, maybe even a player who represented one of these teams in the game a few years ago, had tried before to bring attention to police brutality against black people. But apparently the NFL and Jay Z couldn't locate any such player to include in the spot.

Anyway, I wonder how football fans will react to two minutes of being reminded of things that happen outside the game.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nfl-releases-botham-jean-psa-highlighting-police-brutality-ahead-super-n1121196

If I were this player I wouldn’t want anything to do with the NFL. That Jean case is tragic, and every time I saw a picture of that lady cop I wanted to punch something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a sizeable slice of the hip-hop community that hasn't been cool with JayZ's partnering with the NFL.

Rihanna and others have flat out rejected offers to perform the SB halftime show for instance. Before we laud Jay for a nice community service piece, let's remember it was some of the other artists that probably dragged him there to do it.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tywin et al. i just read your reply this morning referring to Dallas o-line in the 90's and that thread is locked so I couldn't quote. I simply went to profootball reference and looked up the starting o line player by player, added their weights up and divided by five.  The heaviest in 92 for Dallas was like 324? 

As to the how many playoff wins has Dallas had in the last 25 years crack.... Wouldn't you trade the last few play off wins Minne has had if only they could've won that year with Moss. The answer is of course, yes you would. Nice try though!

 

BTW, I guess he always had the best line!

Smith grew up in Pensacola, Florida and became the second-leading rusher in American high school football history while playing for Escambia High School. Smith played three years of college football for the Florida Gators, where he set numerous school rushing records. After being named a unanimous All-American in 1989, Smith chose to forgo his senior year of eligibility and play professionally.

Edited by dbunting
clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brady to the Chargers makes very little sense to me.  Why would Brady want Mahomes in his division?  Why would the Chargers want to replace their possibly washed 38 year old franchise quarterback with a possibly washed 42 year old? 

I feel like a lot of things have to go right just for the Brady-led Chargers to make the playoffs as a wild card, let alone actually doing something there.  I guess the list of teams that would consider Brady is actually pretty short, and mostly untalented, but still.  I guess the weather is nice? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a team construction point of view, Tennessee makes a lot of sense for Brady, but is he really going to ask Giselle to move the family to Nashville?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Dalton will likely be in the mix as well. 

People in Chicago think he could end up there.He probably is a pretty big upgrade from Trubisky, 

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

From a team construction point of view, Tennessee makes a lot of sense for Brady, but is he really going to ask Giselle to move the family to Nashville?

That's what I've thought, too. It very well could be Plan B, though. Tennessee would have to be an early favorite next year if he signed there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

From a team construction point of view, Tennessee makes a lot of sense for Brady, but is he really going to ask Giselle to move the family to Nashville?

Lol, their would be no moving involved, I'm sure they'd just add another mansion to there collection. Perhaps the Biltmore right near the Tenn/NC border?

Ffs why wouldn't any normal person just start the next lease on life at 42-43 years of age, rather than risk crippling injury in the smashmouth NFL? It's not wise at this point for Brady to continue, there is nothing left for him to accomplish in football.

Take up downhill skiing or yachting, something noncontact, develop a private island, in twenty years you may still be able to walk if you get out now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Ffs why wouldn't any normal person just start the next lease on life at 42-43 years of age, rather than risk crippling injury in the smashmouth NFL? It's not wise at this point for Brady to continue, there is nothing left for him to accomplish in football.

Take up downhill skiing or yachting, something noncontact, develop a private island, in twenty years you may still be able to walk if you get out now.

Yeah, I don't get it at all.  He must be self aware enough to know he doesn't have it anymore, I know he looks after himself, but he is a year younger than me and every morning I wake up feeling like I was in a car crash the day before.  If he was still top 5 QB and feeling good, I get it, but unless he wins every year, he is likely to be remembered by more and more people as an old wash out, who didn't know when to quit.

to the Bolded, that's what Michael Schumacher did.  I would just lie on a beach and revel in my past glories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

to the Bolded, that's what Michael Schumacher did.  I would just lie on a beach and revel in my past glories.

Or Sonny Bono, or Natasha Richardson ....    Of course DireWolf could've been sarcastic in typing it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Trebla said:

That's what I've thought, too. It very well could be Plan B, though. Tennessee would have to be an early favorite next year if he signed there. 

Why would you say that?  Tennessee screams "one year wonder" to me.  Their defense was very good in two of the three playoff games, but over the season they were very average (FO rated them 16th).  The defense isn't particularly young, so there's little hope for a significant improvement.  The offense was based entirely on Henry running over people, something that goes contrary to all trends in offensive football these days.  Aside from Henry, they have...Brown and Davis who are...fine.  Not bad, but hardly an elite WR duo. 

And on top of all that, we're talking about 42 year old Tom Brady here.  Is he really better than Ryan Tannehill at this point?  According to every advanced stat I can find, Tannehill was better than Brady last year.  Brady was healthy in 2019, and will be one year older, so it's not like there's a lot of reason to assume he'd improve.  Yes, it's quite possible Tannehill will regress from his stellar 2019, but that stellar 2019 season still resulted in the Titans getting overwhelmed by the Chiefs in the playoffs. 

IMO, the Titans would be very foolish to sign Brady.  I think he's washed, and even if I'm wrong, I think that the Titans aren't a team that is particularly talented to help him.  If Brady wants to win another SB, his best bet by far is to stay in New England for another year, and hope that they can get a couple more playmakers on offense.  Is it a long shot?  Sure, but winning the SB is always a long shot.  In contrast, Brady to Tennessee looks like it has a ceiling of the AFCCG, and that's assuming that a LOT of things go right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can Brady sign for as little as he likes?  i.e. could he theoretically sign for whatever the league minimum is so that the saved salary was spent on the weapons he thinks he needs if he stays in NE?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can Brady sign for as little as he likes?  i.e. could he theoretically sign for whatever the league minimum is so that the saved salary was spent on the weapons he thinks he needs if he stays in NE?

I believe part of the reason he's likely to leave the Patriots is that he's tired of taking below-market pay when Belichick fails to spend the money on viable receivers.

To be fair, the Pats tried to attract some free agents last season -- Cole Beasley, Adam Humphries, and Jared Cook at least. But for a variety of reasons, they chose other teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can Brady sign for as little as he likes?  i.e. could he theoretically sign for whatever the league minimum is so that the saved salary was spent on the weapons he thinks he needs if he stays in NE?

There's a veteran minimum, but it is far less than the going rate for even a good backup qb, let alone a starter.  So yes, he could sign for far less than his value.  The problem is Brady has been doing that for almost fifteen years.  Eli Manning entered the league several years after Brady, and yet his career earnings were still higher because Brady kept cutting the Patriots a deal. 

Brady of course benefits from the fact that his wife earns more money than he does, something that probably only one or two other NFL players can say (none come to mind). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont see brady as ending gracefully. I see him playing until they bench him, agitating for a trade, and doing it again. Unless he wins a superbowl. Maybe then he'd go out. 

I think he would want to prove to others that it was him and not belichick who was the big deal. And in that way, I think he would want to go to a contender, a team who is good to great except for a QB. The titans are like that. They might be the only one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Brady to the Chargers makes very little sense to me.  Why would Brady want Mahomes in his division?  Why would the Chargers want to replace their possibly washed 38 year old franchise quarterback with a possibly washed 42 year old? 

I feel like a lot of things have to go right just for the Brady-led Chargers to make the playoffs as a wild card, let alone actually doing something there.  I guess the list of teams that would consider Brady is actually pretty short, and mostly untalented, but still.  I guess the weather is nice? 

Don't know if Brady wants it, but I could see the Chargers wanting it; though from a business perspective more than a football one. No one cares about the Chargers in LA, they simply don't have fans. They've been playing in a stadium with only 27,000 capacity and haven't been able to sell it out. Bringing in Brady could make a big splash; at the very least the Patriots fans in LA would buy tickets to the games. Bill Simmons might become a Chargers fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...