Jump to content
Mario Seddy

How were the Targaryens viewed in universe, in westeros and essos ?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mario Seddy said:

How were the Targaryens viewed in universe, in westeros and essos? 

Mostly with admiration, envy, respect, and awe.  The Targaryens accomplished more than any family ever has.  If any House can be called Great, it is the Targaryens.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mario Seddy said:

How were the Targaryens viewed in universe, in westeros and essos? 

The Targaryens are the last of the ruling class from Old Valyria.  So yeah, they are revered even if they had not built the kingdom of Westeros.  A powerful khal like Drogo even promised to cross the poisoned waters in order to marry an exiled Targaryen princess.  That is saying something.  It would have been a trying feat to get the Dothraki to cross the oceans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Quoth the raven, said:

A powerful khal like Drogo even promised to cross the poisoned waters in order to marry an exiled Targaryen princess.  

Where is this stated in the books? I don't recall it. What I do remember is that he promised to cross the poisoned water AFTER he had already married her and there was an unsuccessful assassination attemp on her and their unborn son's lives.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread so early, I just don't recall that he was going to cross the Narrow Sea in order to marry a Targharean.

But to answer the OP's question, I would have to second the first response by Prince Rhaego's Soul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Travis said:

Where is this stated in the books? I don't recall it. What I do remember is that he promised to cross the poisoned water AFTER he had already married her and there was an unsuccessful assassination attemp on her and their unborn son's lives.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread so early, I just don't recall that he was going to cross the Narrow Sea in order to marry a Targharean.

But to answer the OP's question, I would have to second the first response by Prince Rhaego's Soul.

It isn't. You're right, he agreed to cross the poison waters after the attempt on Dany's life. The poster is probably just mistaken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 12:37 PM, Travis said:

Where is this stated in the books? I don't recall it. What I do remember is that he promised to cross the poisoned water AFTER he had already married her and there was an unsuccessful assassination attemp on her and their unborn son's lives.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread so early, I just don't recall that he was going to cross the Narrow Sea in order to marry a Targharean.

But to answer the OP's question, I would have to second the first response by Prince Rhaego's Soul.

The only reason Viserys married Dany off to Drogo was to use his men to fight in Westeros. Drogo was taking his sweet time to honor that deal though, until the assassination attempt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

The only reason Viserys married Dany off to Drogo was to use his men to fight in Westeros. Drogo was taking his sweet time to honor that deal though, until the assassination attempt.

He promised Viserys an army. What Viserys did with that army was of no concern to Drogo. Drogo himself never said he would cross the poisined waters until after the attempt on Dany's life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were respect pretty much like every great house , overall  maybe slightly more because they were first one to unite all 7 kingdoms into 1  . But basically they were feared because of their dragons which allowed to conquest 7 kingdoms in first place.

People never really liked all incest that was related to them and it was great sin in eyes of old gods and seven.

After all it all comes down to individuals , some were respected some were hated. But overall not some huge respect that would put them above other great houses in eyes of common people.

When Robert started rebellion 5 kingdoms out of 7 supported Robert , North , Vale , Riverlands, Stormlands and Westerlands.Even some of his enemies started to like and fight for Robert so they didn´t have gret respect and opinion about Targaryens.

Even after Rebellion others bend the knee quickly and during Roberts reign there was literally zero signs someone had big regrets and plans to put Dany / Viserys back to throne. Exception is Dorne but that was more about Ellia and less about Targryens themselves.

In the end each to their own why would Nothmens respect Targaryens more than Starks and similar. Common folk don´t care about game of thrones high lords are playing , they care about :

" rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends,"

 

Edited by Putin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 11:46 PM, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

Mostly with admiration, envy, respect, and awe.  The Targaryens accomplished more than any family ever has.  If any House can be called Great, it is the Targaryens.  

And they have history on their side.  Three hundred years of unbroken rule, good looks, and dragons, they were seen as special by the people of Westeros.  The Targaryens held the kingdom together for centuries and the Baratheons can't even carry out a successful transfer of power after the first king in their family dies.  The Baratheons look like incompetent fools in comparison to the Targaryens.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

He promised Viserys an army. What Viserys did with that army was of no concern to Drogo. Drogo himself never said he would cross the poisined waters until after the attempt on Dany's life. 

It's implied. I mean, Drogo's khalasar aren't going to follow anyone but him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

It's implied. I mean, Drogo's khalasar aren't going to follow anyone but him.

They certainly weren't going to follow Viserys but that isn't the point. 

Viserys wasn't promised the whole khalasar, just some. 

The point is, the poster quoted said Drogo promised to cross the poisined waters for Danys hand in marriage - that's what we are pointing out isn't true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

They certainly weren't going to follow Viserys but that isn't the point. 

Viserys wasn't promised the whole khalasar, just some. 

The point is, the poster quoted said Drogo promised to cross the poisined waters for Danys hand in marriage - that's what we are pointing out isn't true. 

I believe the promise to Viserys was a crown. That implies Drogo would fight against Robert for Viserys, which in turn implies he'd go to Westeros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

I believe the promise to Viserys was a crown. That implies Drogo would fight against Robert for Viserys, which in turn implies he'd go to Westeros.

I'm pretty sure it was an army not a crown. I think it's highly implied Viserys was going to go on by himself with the army he is given. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

I believe the promise to Viserys was a crown. That implies Drogo would fight against Robert for Viserys, which in turn implies he'd go to Westeros.

“Ten thousand, that would be enough, Icould sweep the Seven Kingdoms with ten thousand Dothraki screamers. The realm willrise for its rightful king. Tyrell, Redwyne, Darry, Greyjoy, they have no more lovefor the Usurper than I do. The Dornishmen burn to avenge Elia and her children. Andthe smallfolk will be with us. They cry out for their king.” He looked at Illyrioanxiously. “They do, don’t they?”

This is the first quote I found but I'm pretty sure there are more, I'll look in a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 10:30 PM, Mario Seddy said:

How were the Targaryens viewed in universe, in westeros and essos? 

Viewed well enough that Drogo's willing to marry Daenerys.

4 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

“Ten thousand, that would be enough, Icould sweep the Seven Kingdoms with ten thousand Dothraki screamers. The realm willrise for its rightful king. Tyrell, Redwyne, Darry, Greyjoy, they have no more lovefor the Usurper than I do. The Dornishmen burn to avenge Elia and her children. Andthe smallfolk will be with us. They cry out for their king.” He looked at Illyrioanxiously. “They do, don’t they?”

This is the first quote I found but I'm pretty sure there are more, I'll look in a bit. 

10,000 doesn't seem to be enough to sweep the Seven Kingdoms. Rhaegar had 40,000 men who didn't have to hurl their guts across seawater and they got trounced by a 35,000 strong force.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Angel Eyes said:

Viewed well enough that Drogo's willing to marry Daenerys.

10,000 doesn't seem to be enough to sweep the Seven Kingdoms. Rhaegar had 40,000 men who didn't have to hurl their guts across seawater and they got trounced by a 35,000 strong force.

Oh, I agree 10,000 wouldn't be enough, 100 million wouldn't be enough for Viserys. But this quote was only meant to show what Viserys believes he is getting in return for giving Drogo Danys hand in marriage: an army. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Oh, I agree 10,000 wouldn't be enough, 100 million wouldn't be enough for Viserys. But this quote was only meant to show what Viserys believes he is getting in return for giving Drogo Danys hand in marriage: an army. 

I always wondered why Viserys was never trained to fight; he was the ward of the master-at-arms, he probably needed to defend himself whenever he and Daenerys were turfed out of a home, and he needed to prove his strength to the Dothraki, which he failed... miserably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

I always wondered why Viserys was never trained to fight; he was the ward of the master-at-arms, he probably needed to defend himself whenever he and Daenerys were turfed out of a home, and he needed to prove his strength to the Dothraki, which he failed... miserably.

He would probably have been a lost cause anyway, but likely he was too young to retain much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×