Watch, Watched, Watching: A new thread was Justified

RedEyedGhost

Oh snap, are we gonna have to start a "Top Tier/Tier 1" TV shows thread?

Crazy talk how Breaking Bad isn't on some people's top tier. Sopranos seems to be the standard for most. What's the criteria for Tier 1? Can a show have some "off seasons" and still be Top Tier? (I'm looking at you GoTScrubs, & Community.)

9 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Oh snap, are we gonna have to start a "Top Tier/Tier 1" TV shows thread?

Crazy talk how Breaking Bad isn't on some people's top tier. Sopranos seems to be the standard for most. What's the criteria for Tier 1? Can a show have some "off seasons" and still be Top Tier? (I'm looking at you GoTScrubs, & Community.)

The top tier for me is the golden age HBO stuff. The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood...

17 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The top tier for me is the golden age HBO stuff. The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood...

Agreed, although the "movie" would need to count for Deadwood to go top tier for me.

Older stuff like MASH, Law & Order, Cheers, & Seinfeld would also be tier one TV in my book.

21 hours ago, RumHam said:

I don't consider Breaking Bad to be tier one either. Sopranos though? I've got to ask. 

Woof. I've been re-watching a lot of short Youtube Sopranos clips lately. I'm due for a full re-watch but I'm fairly confident that even a re-watch won't change my overall point of view or 'ranking of it' stance after several years. When ' I don't solidly put'  those shows in Tier 2, I mean they're right on the line and actively nudging in, depending on the day or mood I'm feeling.     

The number one thing about The Sopranos, to me, was that it's success paved the way for shows like The Wire and Deadwood and all serious non-network crime and drama content that came after. That to me is the trophy of it's legacy. I like a lot of things about it but that stands foremost in my mind. 

I think the biggest problem I have with the show is that it went on for too long. The war and tension they tried to create with NY and always having it fizzle out in anti-climactic fashion got old and repetitive... at least until the final season. Christopher's unending drug addiction problem was also more of the same and got dull after awhile.  Vito living in escape in New Hampshire or Vermont or wherever was some serious filler. Junior's dementia wasn't terribly interesting either. I recall also getting tired of some of the 

Trimming the show by at least a season and a half (if not 2 full seasons) would have quickened the pace. At some point near the end, I just watched the episodes because I had already committed so much time to the previous seasons and what else was I going to watch on a Sunday night at that time? Ultimately I this takes away from the entire legacy of the show relative to The Wire or Gomorrah which I find to have fewer flaws.

Some of the very best episodes of The Sopranos came in the later seasons though (Long Term Parking for example), and I have to disagree about the tension between NJ and NY fizzling out. The S5 finale where Tony had to

kill his own cousin to appease NY was one of the most impactful moments of the series for me. That shit gets to me every time.

The only season that even kind of takes a dip in quality is S6 part I, but part II completely made up for it, imo. And it’s not like The Wire didn’t have a “down” season in S5, and while I adore Gomorrah it’s not been quite as good without

Don Pietro and Ciro.

Archived