US Politics: Mad Max Beyond Corona Dome

Tywin Manderly

36 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Are these checks that the US government is sending out weekly, bi-weekly or monthly checks? 

Canada is going to give checks of $2,000 a month for four months. The first checks should go out in the second week of April. The records of taxpayers are going to be used to make direct deposits, as most people have their refund checks direct deposited. A massive effort is about to go into motion to set up the system.

Last week about a million people applied for unemployment insurance. I gather only three million applied in the US, so you can see we have sent people home faster. I would expect 10M to have applied in the US.

Democrats are talking about more phases. (This was the third phase. The small bill was the 2nd phase. Not sure what phase 1 was, honestly. Of course Congress is about flee Washington just as soon as this is finished. So, not sure when they'll actually work on new phases.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Pelosi's bill called for two monthly payments.  I imagine if this continues for as long as everyone but Trump agrees it should, there will indeed be further direct payments authorized through legislation.

So are people going to get UI + $600 a week + the two monthly checks, $1200 each?

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

So are people going to get UI + $600 a week + the two monthly checks, $1200 each?

Well, right now they're just getting the one $1200 direct payment, but for the rest of it, yes.  I'm saying I bet Congress will continue passing legislation giving a monthly payment of $1200 as long as broad lockdowns maintain in effect.  Republicans, of course, don't want to commit to that if they can convince the public filling churches in 18 days on Easter is a great idea.

39 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yeah, though those checks aren't the main source of money for individuals. The main thing is the beefed up unemployment insurance. People who regularly qualify for UI will get their standard benefits plus an extra $600 per week through December. People who usually don't qualify for UI (gig workers, self-employed, etc.) will get 1/2 of the standard benefit for their income level plus an extra $600 per week through December.

That's the big thing, and that's what's got a few Republican senators very upset right now.

ETA: Also the new loans and grants, especially the small business ones, will help keep some people employed for the next several months who otherwise would've gotten laid off.

I better be getting an extra $600 per week for having to be exposed to this. I barely make more than that weekly to begin with.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, right now they're just getting the one $1200 direct payment, but for the rest of it, yes.  I'm saying I bet Congress will continue passing legislation giving a monthly payment of $1200 as long as broad lockdowns maintain in effect.  Republicans, of course, don't want to commit to that if they can convince the public filling churches in 18 days on Easter is a great idea.

Easter is 18 days away??? That's depressing. I was hoping it might be like next week or something.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I better be getting an extra $600 per week for having to be exposed to this. I barely make more than that weekly to begin with.

I know.  

Welcome to being an essential worker.

Did you watch Walz's update and the new shelter orders?

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I barely make more than that weekly to begin with.

That's the concern of Graham and Lee. That it's too generous and people won't be incentivized to seek work. I think they also are concerned that people will quit to get the UI. However, that's not an issue; if you voluntarily leave your job you don't get UI. Also, UI has clauses about you only being able to continue to receive benefits if you are "ready, willing, and able" to take a new job appropriate to your skills and experience. I know New York (and I suspect many other states) have been redefining that term (since its not defined in the federal statute) so that staying in self-isolation over COVID-19 fears, or caring for a sick relative, doesn't disqualify you from benefits. However, if you could be actively working and aren't trying to get a job (though that can be hard to prove) you will lose your benefits; and usually have to repay what you got.

Also, the benefits do eventually expire. If the opportunity to get an appropriate job comes up, I'd recommend most people take it.

13 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Anyone know what Sanders said that tanked the markets by hundreds of points in the final half hour of trading? 

He said that if Republicans didn't drop their objections to the expanded UI benefits he was going to place a hold on the bill. Which would slow things down for days, maybe a week, before it could be voted on.

Ok, I also just heard that three Republican Senators have raised objections to $600 a week for everyone, as a disincentive to return to work. Who was first?

eta: I was surprised everyone would get $600 when the amount paid in UI is far lower in some states.

The bill is trash.  A friend of mine has Covid symptoms, works in Albany, has three days of PTO left till August.  Told her employer she is sick and can't come in and is concerned because her parents are both immuno compromised.  They responded saying that unless she can show she has Covid 19 she is expected to be at work and is voluntarily quitting.  

The place she works for is essential because it's included in food and beverage - she works for an alcoholic beverage manufacturing company.  

Would love to be proven wrong but this already has so many bs controls and is just giving pennies to people.  No rent suspensions.  It's trash 

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, sure, but I think the point in the prospective vs. retrospective debate is at least when it comes to presidential elections, people are - for whatever reason - basing their perceptions of the economy on pretty much the most recent data (January-June of the election year).  Why not the "third" quarter - July-October?  Just like the rally round the flag effect, there's a lag there.  Unless it's something huge, like Lehman Bros crashing.  Hard to argue that didn't have an effect.

Hum, isn't that related to how you look at the economy?

What I learnt from the Euro crisis, that in economical terms the job market is late indicator/responder. So if you just look at the GDP growth (or if you are deluded at the Stock Market), that might show signs of an economic recovery, however in everyday life of the plebs the job market is probably more important, as in they can tell whether they and their friends have job (offers) or not.

2 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I know.  

Welcome to being an essential worker.

Did you watch Walz's update and the new shelter orders?

I take it you’re stuck at work too?

2 hours ago, Fez said:

That's the concern of Graham and Lee. That it's too generous and people won't be incentivized to seek work. I think they also are concerned that people will quit to get the UI. However, that's not an issue; if you voluntarily leave your job you don't get UI. Also, UI has clauses about you only being able to continue to receive benefits if you are "ready, willing, and able" to take a new job appropriate to your skills and experience. I know New York (and I suspect many other states) have been redefining that term (since its not defined in the federal statute) so that staying in self-isolation over COVID-19 fears, or caring for a sick relative, doesn't disqualify you from benefits. However, if you could be actively working and aren't trying to get a job (though that can be hard to prove) you will lose your benefits; and usually have to repay what you got.

Also, the benefits do eventually expire. If the opportunity to get an appropriate job comes up, I'd recommend most people take it.

I’ll withhold judgement until we see the final bill, but I think there’s a good chance that this bill will make tens of millions of people resentful of one another, however it turns out.

And our idiot president is way over-promising when the money will get to the people. What happens if he promises mid-April checks and none come yet the major corporations, who by the way have been highly irresponsible, get their monies?

Archived