Us Politics: my creepy grandpa can beat up your creepy grandpa

Larry of the Lawn

2 hours ago, DMC said:

He wasn't, at all.  He worked for Mark Warner's administration when he was governor.  That was part of the joke.

Yeah I agree with Maith, I think NC is distinctly - if only marginally - more of an opportunity that GA, IA, or TX.

This is all in your head.  The Democratic party has been committed to trying to advance vote-by-mail, same-day registration, and any other means that would expand turnout for decades.  In intraparty squabbles, is the "establishment" going to fight against leftist elements they view as too extreme and not palatable to the general electorate?  Yes, of course, otherwise they wouldn't be called the establishment.  But it's absurd to think the Dem establishment prefers Trump to, say, Sanders.  That's just in your own bubble.

Exactly my point, it makes no sense they're trying to do those things as the more people who vote probably won't vote the way they want. They'll get into voter suppression like the Republicans once they figure this out.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Well, they didn't vote for Sanders in the latest primary, so I guess they're not voting red?

Also, the turnout of voters for the Dem primary was equivalent to ALL the voters who voted for Clinton in 2016. Which is pretty awesome. 

What the dems are more interested in which DOES hurt Sanders some is having primaries instead of caucuses. This hurt Sanders in Washington State, for instance, as WA went heavily to Sanders in 2016 in the caucus (but he lost the non-counting primary), and lost the primary in 2020. Weirdly, the thing that promotes the most democratic system doesn't support Sanders as much as it did Biden. 

Here in Colorado, he dominated the caucus in 2016, and the primary in 2020. Colorado is among the highest for youth turnout. Sounds like Washington is having trouble getting people out to vote (aside from the Boomer army).

1 minute ago, Simon Steele said:

Here in Colorado, he dominated the caucus in 2016, and the primary in 2020. Colorado is among the highest for youth turnout. Sounds like Washington is having trouble getting people out to vote (aside from the Boomer army).

Wait, having the highest primary percentage in Washington history AND one of the highest in all the country is having trouble getting people out to vote?

Maybe it wasn't clear how I said it - so I'll say it a different way. The total number of people who voted in the Democratic primary in 2020 was equivalent to all the people who voted Democrat in 2016 in the GENERAL election.

Anyway, here's some stats: Washington's turnout was third best in the nation, just behind New Hampshire and Colorado. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102189/voter-turnout-us-presidential-primaries-state/

Your hypothesis that the more voters there are the more likely it is that they'll not vote the way Dems want is pretty flawed. 

2 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Exactly my point, it makes no sense they're trying to do those things as the more people who vote probably won't vote the way they want.

If someone votes in the primary, they are very likely to vote in the general election.  And they are very likely to vote in the general election for the nominee of the party's primary they participated in.  Accordingly, increasing the primary electorate - even if they vote for more leftist candidates in the primary - is in the longterm interest of any catch-all party.  Particularly considering the strong unlikelihood younger people you're bringing in are gonna vote for the GOP.  Are there "establishment" Dems that don't understand this?  I'm sure.  But most do.  It's pretty basic.

In the span of just 48 hours, Joe Biden put to rest a major question surrounding Democratic efforts to win back the White House: 2020 will not be a repeat of 2016.

One after the other, Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders threw their support behind Biden — with Elizabeth Warren soon to follow, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

Biden moves to lock down Dems. Next up: Elizabeth Warren
One after the other, Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders threw their support behind Biden — with Elizabeth Warren soon to follow.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/14/obama-endorsement-2020-joe-biden-185464

Biden has done something bizarre that I didn't think possible - or the dem establishment has. He has managed to make deals with every major candidate and consolidate power better than basically anyone thought possible, and better than both Obama and Clinton did in the last 12 years. And he's done it, as far as I can tell, by making deals and transactional coalition building - something that he's built his career on, but something I didn't think actually would work.

As an example, in addition to getting Buttigieg and Klobuchar to both back out and back him, he got Warren to not endorse Sanders by taking her bankruptcy stance going directly against his previous plan. 

The bad news is that it likely means there's very little he specifically stands for. The good news is that it means he's likely going to take on a lot of progressive policies as he embraces Sanders and Warren's views.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Imagine if a Democrat tried this. There would be lawless ranchers occupying everything, even @mcbigski's ivory tower.

Pen and a phone.  It's a living Constitution dontcha know?

I know CNN felt very hurt yesterday about Trump calling the press out.  It's been 24 hours, plenty of time to look at what he put out there.

So how many of the quotes from the press were doctored? 

What's that number?  Zero?  Accountability for me, but for not thee again.  (Not Tywin specifically, a lot more generally).  Helps to remember that the primary difference between most of the press and a methed-out gutter whore is the amount of dental work.

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Biden has done something bizarre that I didn't think possible - or the dem establishment has. He has managed to make deals with every major candidate and consolidate power better than basically anyone thought possible, and better than both Obama and Clinton did in the last 12 years.

I think he deserves credit for this, yes, but the Dems also haven't faced an incumbent in the last 12 years.  Everybody aligned behind Kerry as well in 2004.  Bill Maher and Michael Moore even begged Nadar not to run - and the latter's vote share dropped from 2.88 million to 465 thousand.  Biden is adept at backroom dealing, yes, but I think the efficacy of such a skill is getting a bit overrated here.  A lot of the coalescence is explained simply by him being in the right place at the right time.

9 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Pen and a phone.  It's a living Constitution dontcha know?

I know CNN felt very hurt yesterday about Trump calling the press out.  It's been 24 hours, plenty of time to look at what he put out there.

So how many of the quotes from the press were doctored? 

What's that number?  Zero?  Accountability for me, but for not thee again.  (Not Tywin specifically, a lot more generally).  Helps to remember that the primary difference between most of the press and a methed-out gutter whore is the amount of dental work.

Look, not every member of the media is dating Joe Exotic. At least as far as the MSM goes. Hannity would be that dude's bitch in under three weeks, though, methinks. 

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think he deserves credit for this, yes, but the Dems also haven't faced an incumbent in the last 12 years.  Everybody aligned behind Kerry as well in 2004.  Bill Maher and Michael Moore even begged Nadar not to run - and the latter's vote share dropped from 2.88 million to 465 thousand.  Biden is adept at backroom dealing, yes, but I think the efficacy of such a skill is getting a bit overrated here.  A lot of the coalescence is explained simply by him being in the right place at the right time.

I think this is unfair. Dean wasn't equivalent to Sanders, and Clinton had more reason than most to back Obama at the end. Warren is another good wildcard, where she didn't endorse anyone last time until the actual convention. She could do that now, mind you, but she's not. 

I realize that a large chunk of dems had to back him eventually, and with Sanders dropping out that meant soon - but Sanders himself backing Biden is a Big Deal, especially this early, and how the rest of the pieces fell was also a pretty big deal for him. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Sanders himself backing Biden is a Big Deal, especially this early, and how the rest of the pieces fell was also a pretty big deal for him. 

I don't really think it is a Big Fucking Deal.  It's telling - and actually encouraging - the primary electorate coalesced behind Biden as quickly as they did, but that's the causal effect here.  Sanders was losing ground post-Super Tuesday this cycle, rather than gaining ground in 2016.  That - and the pandemic negating his greatest campaign strength in rallies - is why he dropped out and endorsed so (relatively) quickly.  Not Biden's power of persuasion with major party influencers.

I think you very much overestimate Sanders being reasonably rational for the most part. Him dropping out makes sense, but him endorsing now instead of at the convention? That seems different. 

Archived