Rothfuss XVI: Books? What books?

Kyll.Ing.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I would have thought that Memory, Sorrow and Thorn was his biggest seller, it seems to be the series people talk about most when they discuss Williams. I could believe that he might not have sold as much of his more recent series.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is his biggest-selling series in the United States, but Otherland was like a national phenomenon in Germany and sold as astounding number of copies there, and did quite well in the rest of Europe and okay in the USA. It was quite random, and why he's sometimes called the David Hasselhoff of SFF lit. Global sales for those two series are probably not far off one another.

I thing Tailchaser's Song also sold exceptionally well, War of the Flowers did okay and then there was a sharp drop-off with Shadowmarch from which he's never really recovered. The Bobby Dollar books didn't do great business and from all accounts the current Osten Ard sequel series is not setting things on fire either, although it's certainly not bombing or anything.

13 hours ago, The Twink in the North said:

I get the impression from various things he's said on panels and such that he hates her and the fact that his series is always being compared with Harry Potter.

He does not appear to enjoy comparisons of their works. That much is true.

But he took a week off alone in a cabin to prepare for the last HP book and did a multipart speculative conversation about it with Orson Scott Card for Beliefnet. Has kept some pretty transphobic company throughout his career. And while his own commentary is sparse, what stands out is a tendency to support and share low key terfs.

27 minutes ago, thistlepong said:

But he took a week off alone in a cabin to prepare for the last HP book and did a multipart speculative conversation about it with Orson Scott Card for Beliefnet. Has kept some pretty transphobic company throughout his career. And while his own commentary is sparse, what stands out is a tendency to support and share low key terfs.

You're back!

I think that at some point he had gone through his blog and scrubbed his negative takes of other authors. Maybe not the relatively recent Roald Dahl blog, but I vaguely recall him dismissing the author of the Eragon books before doing a 180 when he had those books on his charity. Couldn't find it in the Wayback Machine though so I could have imagined it but there are also conspicuous gaps in the update history. :dunno:

8 hours ago, thistlepong said:

Definitely remember him saying he read the Harry Potter novels during down time/ relaxation during his 2 year Masters program.  Seems as though he felt obligated forced to read them though, since he was writing in fantasy..

A lot of the plot story parametrics are in complete opposite with JK rowling.

On 7/30/2020 at 9:12 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Story parametrics?

Kvothe is an extremely proactive character compared to Harry Potter. Most plot revolves around Kvothe doing something and then having to try to fix it.

Harry Potter is purposely boring character-not extremely extrovert. Tool for author so kids could daydream vicariously being Harry Potter.

1 hour ago, lysmonger said:

Kvothe is an extremely proactive character compared to Harry Potter. Most plot revolves around Kvothe doing something and then having to try to fix it.

Harry Potter is purposely boring character-not extremely extrovert. Tool for author so kids could daydream vicariously being Harry Potter.

Counterpoint: Kvothe's a huge dick

2 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I wouldn't say Kvothe is a dick. I'd say he's vain and belligerently blind to any concerns but his own. But, when forced to see other concerns, he's willing to sacrifice for others.

I don't even see how the but works. Because he has a couple of nice thoughts he isn't a dick? I mean if Willem was a 1 and Ambrose a 10, he'd be right there at 8 or 9 on the dick scale.

19 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I don't even see how the but works.

I guess I would say that part of the distinction lies in opportunity.

Given the opportunity, Kvothe takes actions that benefit others and he goes out of his way to sacrifice on their behalf. His vanity and his self-absorption serve to remove opportunity. He's often blind to the opportunity for selfless, caring action. The vanity and self-absorption are faults but they're different fault than someone who, given opportunity and awareness, is malicious, a jerk, a dick or anything of that nature.

... in my mind.

2 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Given the opportunity, Kvothe takes actions that benefit others and he goes out of his way to sacrifice on their behalf. His vanity and his self-absorption serve to remove opportunity. He's often blind to the opportunity for selfless, caring action. The vanity and self-absorption are faults but they're different fault than someone who, given opportunity and awareness, is malicious, a jerk, a dick or anything of that nature.

... in my mind.

I can buy that.

18 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I haven't named my price yet!

I thought it'd be like in RoboCop with the dude who's punchline was "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

6 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

... in my mind.

I still don't get it. You're saying that because he did the good actions he's a nice guy because he's blind from his vanity and self-absorption when he does bad actions. No way. The furthest I'll go is that he's not malicious, but he's absolutely a jerk and a dick and an asshole and any other anatomy insults that I can't quite think of right now.

Edit - After digesting it for awhile, I still can't accept it. You can absolve anyone that way. For example,

Given the opportunity, Ambrose also takes actions that benefit others and he goes out of his way to sacrifice on their behalf. His vanity and his self-absorption serve to remove opportunity. He's often blind to the opportunity for selfless, caring action. The vanity and self-absorption are faults but his caring actions are obscured by this being a story by Kvothe for Kvothe. 

A hypothetical.

Archived