(Content warning) So it turns out that David Eddings was a convicted and jailed child abuser

Werthead

The one that tears me is Clarke, his books have such an important part in my life. Especially since for a long time like most people I accepted that the accusations against him were faked by people with an interest in discredting gay men, but more recently things have been said that makes those accusations seem far more credible, so now I feel like I was being wilfully blind.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

He doesn't seem to have the best judgement, but it's not on the Eddings level, no. Clearly he's also a bit of an oversharer.

There's a difference between someone being cantancerous, cranky or even wrong and being actively harmful. Like I don't like Neal Asher's work anyway but I'd be fine reading it even though he's a climate change denying crank, but Chrichton responding to a journalist criticising his climate change position by writing said journalist into his next novel as a pedophile is way over the line.

I feel like Morgan's books and attitudes towards the world have degenerated in lockstep. Like in some ways Altered Carbon has dated badly but in most it still holds up and Kovac's own worldview is examined throughout that series as much as those he opposes is. And back in the day, though crabby, Morgan was willing to debate his point. Thin Air on the other hand is a smug self-satisfied piece of bullshit and it tallies quite well with Morgan's attitude in this recent argument.

Had a conversation recently with a mate who pointed out just how dodgy the Ringil trilogy's self-declared gay-friendly credentials are too.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I remember peterbound getting into a fight with him over something and going WHAT HAVE YOU PUBLISHED and me just responding with :laugh: and peterbound (who was a huge Morgan fan iirc) finally realising who he was talking to.

Peterbound getting into fights on the forum? I’m shocked...

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I remember Morgan and @Myshkingetting into a not nice fight on this very forum waaaay back possible when I was still just lurking. Fun times.

I have IIRC thrice argued with Mr Morgan over his dumb bullshit. As Polish pointed out, all arguments with him will eventually get to the point of him yelling I’M A PUBLISHED AUTHOR ANE YOU’RE NOT! Still though, I liked the Altered Carbon Netflix show. 

4 minutes ago, DanielAbraham said:

No, no.  Let him go on.  Exactly how good would someone need to be before terrible behavior was tolerated?  Is it a sliding scale?  I may need a formula of some sort.

Embrace death of the author and no one has to feel guilty about anything.*

That's not a thread, or a wish, love your stuff and wish you many more years of health and productivity.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I remember peterbound getting into a fight with him over something and going WHAT HAVE YOU PUBLISHED and me just responding with :laugh: and peterbound (who was a huge Morgan fan iirc) finally realising who he was talking to.

Yes that was amazing.  Before that I remember Darth Richard and someone with the handle "Richard" arguing and then discovering it was Morgan.  I thought it was one person with two accounts doing a bit at first.

2 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Yes that was amazing.  Before that I remember Darth Richard and someone with the handle "Richard" arguing and then discovering it was Morgan.  I thought it was one person with two accounts doing a bit at first.

I vaguely recall that.

9 hours ago, Myshkin said:

As Polish pointed out, all arguments with him will eventually get to the point of him yelling I’M A PUBLISHED AUTHOR ANE YOU’RE NOT! Still though, I liked the Altered Carbon Netflix show. 

In fairness, it was actually the other way around in this case. Morgan was making some point or other about the process and peterbound was like 'if you're so smart what have you written'.

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

In fairness, it was actually the other way around in this case. Morgan was making some point or other about the process and peterbound was like 'if you're so smart what have you written'.

How dare you point out my so-called mistake? HOW DARE YOU? I am easily the MOST RESPECTED poster on this board, maybe in the world. What have YOU ever posted? 

10 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

How dare you point out my so-called mistake? HOW DARE YOU? I am easily the MOST RESPECTED poster on this board, maybe in the world. What have YOU ever posted? 

Low bars and all that..

On 5/5/2020 at 11:52 AM, polishgenius said:

I remember that lol

Archived