Does Your Office Workspace Practice Active Shooter Drills?

Jaxom 1974

5 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

We don’t have any drills about anything in the kind of workplace I have- however there is a baseball bat hung on the wall and three of the seven staff members (I’m not one of them) have guns at work themselves.

Sounds like most new construction sites I've been on.  There's always at least one crew (usually roofers) where most of them are carrying, and then a bunch of other guys keep firearms in their vehicles.  And inevitably once you have a bunch of dickheads up on a roof together they all start talking about what kinds of heroics would ensue [if] someone decided to shoot up the site.  I had to send two guys home the summer we had the solar eclipse because they kept throwing stones off the roof trying to demonstrate how they'd stop the bad guy.  

We do fire drills twice a year and have a protocol for dealing with a bomb threat. The one time there was a bomb threat to a bank branch on the ground floor of our office building, police came into our tenancy and overrode all the training we had.

I have never heard of a workplace needing to do an active shooter drill in Australia.

5 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

We don’t have any drills about anything in the kind of workplace I have- however there is a baseball bat hung on the wall and three of the seven staff members (I’m not one of them) have guns at work themselves.

Your security could use improvement.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Otherwise, particularly in countries that are not the USA or active warzones, this really isn't a thing.

Freedumb isn't free. 

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The baseball bat has stopped Nancy a sketchy event and hangs on the wall because it was the primary instrument of defense at Sailor Moses’ shop way back in the day. It’s a relic.

@larrytheimpThis particular shop is perhaps the oldest in the state, run by probably the longest working tattooer left in the state. When the shop opened, another local shop owner showed up and threatened to burn it down for being too close to his. That was a regular thing back then and there are still a few holdouts left with weird ideas left over from another time. Also, while tattooing has entered the mainstream and tattooers and their clients aren’t mostly criminals anymore like they absolutely were prior to the mid nineties, we still deal with some fucking crazy people and don’t call the cops. It’s not the fantasy tough guy thing a lot of people who carry guns have (and I have never seen anyone in a shop show one at all), but that bat has had to be taken off the wall a lot of times. And one of my coworkers has had to choke a crazy dude out in the lobby before. I had to break a pool cue on a guys face for trying to choke my old boss to death while his buddies punched him. I have also recently had my life threatened by a Nazi motorcycle club for outing the guy who gives them their white power tattoos- so, while I appreciate that attitude is pervasive around tough guy jobs, tattooing is special in that we probably need a baseball bat on the wall.

30 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

The baseball bat has stopped Nancy a sketchy event and hangs on the wall because it was the primary instrument of defense at Sailor Moses’ shop way back in the day. It’s a relic.

@larrytheimpThis particular shop is perhaps the oldest in the state, run by probably the longest working tattooer left in the state. When the shop opened, another local shop owner showed up and threatened to burn it down for being too close to his. That was a regular thing back then and there are still a few holdouts left with weird ideas left over from another time. Also, while tattooing has entered the mainstream and tattooers and their clients aren’t mostly criminals anymore like they absolutely were prior to the mid nineties, we still deal with some fucking crazy people and don’t call the cops. It’s not the fantasy tough guy thing a lot of people who carry guns have (and I have never seen anyone in a shop show one at all), but that bat has had to be taken off the wall a lot of times. And one of my coworkers has had to choke a crazy dude out in the lobby before. I had to break a pool cue on a guys face for trying to choke my old boss to death while his buddies punched him. I have also recently had my life threatened by a Nazi motorcycle club for outing the guy who gives them their white power tattoos- so, while I appreciate that attitude is pervasive around tough guy jobs, tattooing is special in that we probably need a baseball bat on the wall.

Well now we need to know, is it wood or aluminum? 

7 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Aluminum

That's a good start. I still don't think I've been into a place with a bat on the wall though. Granted I don't have any tattoos, but I always enjoy going with friends in the metro when they're considering one. 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's a good start. I still don't think I've been into a place with a bat on the wall though. Granted I don't have any tattoos, but I always enjoy going with friends in the metro when they're considering one. 

I have never worked in a shop that didn’t have a bat somewhere in the building. This is the only one I know to have one on the wall, and that’s because it is also a piece of tattoo history like everything else on the wall. But also there’s only a couple places in the metro with any historical provenance anyway, so the vibe is way more arty cool kids than “some of us were here when this shit was technically illegal” 

I have never been part of an active shooter drill. 

I don't have a bat but I do have a switch iron that would likely kill someone provided I could sneak up on them. 

On 7/23/2020 at 9:51 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

A second amendment gun nut acquaintance of mine is challenging some teachers I know on Facebook over a meme regarding teachers not being snowflakes for wanting Covid protection, after all, they have to deal with active shooter drills. 

I hope someone challenged the gun nut to be a substitute teacher for one day.  I doubt that anyone with that experience would call a full-time teacher a snowflake.

I am retired now but when I worked at the hospital we had fire drills, evacuation drills, chemical spill drills, lost patient drills, bomb threat drills, external disaster drills, infrastructure failure drills, hostage taking drills, violent patient drills. 

7 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I am retired now but when I worked at the hospital we had fire drills, evacuation drills, chemical spill drills, lost patient drills, bomb threat drills, external disaster drills, infrastructure failure drills, hostage taking drills, violent patient drills. 

You ever have a patient threaten to attack you from across the desk?

It at least kept work exciting.

Never once, through 15+ years and at least 4 offices. 

My kids run them in school though. Fun times explaining to your 7 year old how they might be murdered in fucking class by a deranged person with a weapon none of us should really have!

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

You ever have a patient threaten to attack you from across the desk?

It at least kept work exciting.

Not me as I was in maintenance but nurses were assaulted and some were seriously injured. 

7 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

You were out of class for a bit and all you had to do was sit in the fetal position in the hallway for a while. 

I wasn't doing any drill, but this sounds like a lot of high school anyway.

34 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Anyone else have to do tornado drills in school? 

Those were always fun. You were out of class for a bit and all you had to do was sit in the fetal position in the hallway for a while. 

We had those.

The fun twist was the bomb threat drills. We had so many fake threats in JH. They actually prepped us for 9/11 in the 8th grade because it was basically the same drill.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They actually prepped us for 9/11 in the 8th grade because it was basically the same drill.

What did you do on 9/11?  They let anyone go home if they wanted and make counselors available, but classes still proceeded the rest of the day and we didn't do any drill.  I remember watching the towers fall in..I wanna say photography class.  Then I got high most of the rest of the day and went to my after-school job.

48 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Anyone else have to do tornado drills in school? 

Those were always fun. You were out of class for a bit and all you had to do was sit in the fetal position in the hallway for a while. 

Now tornado drills are another thing. Being in the middle of Tornado Alley, we practiced tornado drills more often than fire drills, except we were taught to shelter in place under our desks. 

Archived