Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
A Horse Named Stranger

Football: Calling Dr. Rashford. European Cup, transfer shenanigans

Recommended Posts

Willian is in his fifties!

If we could get Cantwell and Ake from Norwich and Bournemouth, that wouldn't be so bad. Cantwell is young and certainly someone who could improve under Klopp, while Ake is an upgrade on Lovren and would be able to cover at LB too.

I expect us going for either of them would rely on them having relegation clauses / reasonable prices though, so probably not. Traore would be great too but surely he'd be expensive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Wouldn't mind Liverpool going for Willian as backup for Mane and Salah. Got the speed, physicality and work rate to fit the team.

I think backup for Mane and Salah on the wing is a higher priority than Bobby/Central replacement. Mane and Salah can play central (Mane looked a lot better through the middle than Salah the few times they played central) and Minamino is probably the real central backup anyway. Mane's absence on the wing hurts the defensive play a lot which is why I suspect Salah plays central a lot more. But I think Klopp will trust those two through the centre before a new guy, but it does mean we need a backup for those two on the wing.

We don't have many pacey wingers coming through the academy so I think they have to buy some, whether it be someone experienced like Willian or someone younger like Traore. Sancho/Dembele/Asensio were linked ages ago but seems less and less likely these days.

Shaqiri should be encouraged to stay imo. His more direct but still incisive play brings some variety to the attack. The wingers you've listed are well outside the price range that Liverpool seem willing to pay. It wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool at least consider Sarr from Watford - he does fit the mould of the club's transfer strategy especially if he can be got for a cut price. I think Brewster might be given an opportunity eventually as well though I don't think it will be next season. He's been really good on loan at Swansea so another loan move makes the most sense for his development.

Curtis Jones might be given an opportunity to step up in midfield. There were rumours about Thiago - his quality is undeniable but a 29y/o injury prone player seems unlikely given that Bayern reportedly want a €35m fee and at this point in his career, Thiago would undoubtedly want a fat contract. Plus, the intensity with which Klopp demands from his midfielders means there's a high risk that Thiago's chocolate legs will be regularly breaking down. There's currently uncertainty with Wijnaldum so Liverpool might have to sign a midfielder. A CB to replace Lovren is needed too. I don't think van den Berg is ready to be fourth choice. 

 

Edited by Consigliere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sarr has a lot of potential, but AFCON would be even more of an issue if we were to sign him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Willian is in his fifties!

If we could get Cantwell and Ake from Norwich and Bournemouth, that wouldn't be so bad. Cantwell is young and certainly someone who could improve under Klopp, while Ake is an upgrade on Lovren and would be able to cover at LB too.

I expect us going for either of them would rely on them having relegation clauses / reasonable prices though, so probably not. Traore would be great too but surely he'd be expensive?

Haha he is 31 but still looks mighty fit. Kept some decent Chelsea youngins out of the team this season.

Isn't Cantwell a midfielder? I doubt we'd go for more midfielders. Specially with Jones set to step up and with Thiago potentially coming in. He'd be a good cover if Gini and Milner leaves though. Specailly as Ox and Keita are so damn injury prone.

As for Ake, I think he is heading to City as he would be a lot closer to being a starter there than at Liverpool. I don't think Liverpool will sign another CB this window. Fabinho will be the cover if both Joe and Matip gets injured, followed by one of the youngins or Hendo for desperate times.

Traore still has 3 years on his contract looks like, so yeah definitely on the expensive side. And not necessarily better than Willian.

Edited by The Winged Shadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Shaqiri should be encouraged to stay imo. His more direct but still incisive play brings some variety to the attack. The wingers you've listed are well outside the price range that Liverpool seem willing to pay. It wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool at least consider Sarr from Watford - he does fit the mould of the club's transfer strategy especially if he can be got for a cut price. I think Brewster might be given an opportunity eventually as well though I don't think it will be next season. He's been really good on loan at Swansea so another loan move makes the most sense for his development.

Curtis Jones might be given an opportunity to step up in midfield. There were rumours about Thiago - his quality is undeniable but a 29y/o injury prone player seems unlikely given that Bayern reportedly want a €35m fee and at this point in his career, Thiago would undoubtedly want a fat contract. Plus, the intensity with which Klopp demands from his midfielders means there's a high risk that Thiago's chocolate legs will be regularly breaking down. There's currently uncertainty with Wijnaldum so Liverpool might have to sign a midfielder. A CB to replace Lovren is needed too. I don't think van den Berg is ready to be fourth choice. 

 

I don't know if Brewster can play on the wings, and he certainly doesn't have the capability to play the false nine role from what we have seen so far (which is admittedly not a whole lot). Who knows, maybe we will switch to 4-2-3-1 to accommodate him if he is good enough to be a starter. Ox and Minamino both can probably fit the 10 role.

I don't watch the German league so wasn't aware of Thiago's liabilities. You've put doubt in my mind now! Initially I was quite excited to be linked with ex-Barca and Bayern midfielder....

Regarding CB, going by Klopp's recent comments about a lean squad, I don't see him signing a CB. I don't think anyone will want to be a fourth choice CB (other than youngins). I'd say a left back is a higher priority than a fourth CB. Specially if Milner leaves. Neco is way too one footed from what we've seen so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

I don't know if Brewster can play on the wings, and he certainly doesn't have the capability to play the false nine role from what we have seen so far (which is admittedly not a whole lot). Who knows, maybe we will switch to 4-2-3-1 to accommodate him if he is good enough to be a starter. Ox and Minamino both can probably fit the 10 role.

I don't watch the German league so wasn't aware of Thiago's liabilities. You've put doubt in my mind now! Initially I was quite excited to be linked with ex-Barca and Bayern midfielder....

Regarding CB, going by Klopp's recent comments about a lean squad, I don't see him signing a CB. I don't think anyone will want to be a fourth choice CB (other than youngins). I'd say a left back is a higher priority than a fourth CB. Specially if Milner leaves. Neco is way too one footed from what we've seen so far.

Brewster is a CF. Some of the reliable Liverpool journos reported before last season that Klopp really rates him. Obviously he was not quite ready to make the step up but his loan at Swansea has been very good. I'd say he will be sent on another loan and then be drafted into the Liverpool squad.

It's very high risk to be going into the season with only 3 first team CBs. It could work out but it could also go pear-shaped like it did for City this season.

Thiago is a top class player but, yeah, he's made out of glass so it's quite likely that he will be just as injury prone as Ox or Keita, maybe even moreso. 

Edited by Consigliere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love a cheeky Sarr from Watford as attacking depth. AFCON could be an issue as said but isn’t it not in Jan anymore?

Brewster does seem to be a proper player. If Swansea manage to go up I think he should maybe stay on another season with them. 

As far as CB goes there haven’t been really any concrete rumors but some random links to Schalkes young promising CB Ozan Kabak but I think he would be too expensive based on what Klopp and all our journos have said about our finances this summer. 

Already can’t wait for next season. Chelsea having a massive window. United probably going to get Sancho. Second season Mourinho at Spurs. Things are gonna be so interesting. Not sure any of those three will be able to make the huge leap to competing with City and Liverpool but :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Regarding CB, going by Klopp's recent comments about a lean squad, I don't see him signing a CB. I don't think anyone will want to be a fourth choice CB (other than youngins). I'd say a left back is a higher priority than a fourth CB. Specially if Milner leaves. Neco is way too one footed from what we've seen so far.

Question is whether you think all three first choice CBs will stay injury free. So I'd think bringing in one more might make sense, if Hoever or van den Berg are not considered ready.

42 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Curtis Jones might be given an opportunity to step up in midfield. There were rumours about Thiago - his quality is undeniable but a 29y/o injury prone player seems unlikely given that Bayern reportedly want a €35m fee and at this point in his career, Thiago would undoubtedly want a fat contract. Plus, the intensity with which Klopp demands from his midfielders means there's a high risk that Thiago's chocolate legs will be regularly breaking down. There's currently uncertainty with Wijnaldum so Liverpool might have to sign a midfielder. A CB to replace Lovren is needed too. I don't think van den Berg is ready to be fourth choice. 

I vaguely recall a similar discussion about Gündogan when he signed for City. And he has done alright. Anyway, Thiago is obviously not the mile eating iron lunged kinda midfielder this Liverpool relies on right now. Given that Klopp also worked with Gündogan in Dortmund, it's not like Klopp doesn't work with playmaking midfielders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFCON changes depending on the country it's being held in. The next one will be a January one, or it would have been anyway. We really shouldn't be looking to sign any more players who will be playing in it.

We really do need a centre back. Matip will likely miss half of the season as usual, and that leaves us with midfielders and kids covering the remaining two - we'd be deliberately sabotaging our season if we left it at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd totally have Vertonghen for a couple of years. He's lost some of his pace but he's still pretty handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Question is whether you think all three first choice CBs will stay injury free. So I'd think bringing in one more might make sense, if Hoever or van den Berg are not considered ready.

I vaguely recall a similar discussion about Gündogan when he signed for City. And he has done alright. Anyway, Thiago is obviously not the mile eating iron lunged kinda midfielder this Liverpool relies on right now. Given that Klopp also worked with Gündogan in Dortmund, it's not like Klopp doesn't work with playmaking midfielders.

Definitely won't stay injury free haha. But Fabinho is pretty good cover. Even if you have four CB, it's no guarantee anyway. Wasn't it last year all four were injured? or maybe three? and Hendo and Fab played CB?

I think there are higher priority areas that need cover more than fourth CB. LB being the primary one. Only exception would be if we can get top CB like Koulibaly. Anything else is waste of resource considering how tightarse Liverpool seems to be at this moment.

I figure, if Virg gets injured we are stuffed anyway and having four CBs won't help (similar to Laporte and City this season)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Would love a cheeky Sarr from Watford as attacking depth. AFCON could be an issue as said but isn’t it not in Jan anymore?

The next AFCON tournament was originally scheduled to take place in June and July 2021 but was first moved to January 2021 due to unfavourable weather conditions in Cameroon during June/July and is now only scheduled to take place in January 2022 due to delays caused by the pandemic. The two tournaments after that (Ivory Coast 2023 and Guinea 2025) will take place in June and July. 

Edited by Consigliere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Only exception would be if we can get top CB like Koulibaly. Anything else is waste of resource considering how tightarse Liverpool seems to be at this moment.

I don't think they really want a player of Koulibaly's level. Ability wise Lovren was basically fine as a fourth choice centre back, the problem was he was getting paid a first choice centre back's wages to be Liverpool's 4th choice. I'm not particularly convinced by Van Den Berg but Hoever looks like he could be good so what we need is a solid experienced option to fill in, hopefully mostly on the bench, for a couple of years. I don't think the kind of role you really want to be spending any serious money on even if we had money to burn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So it's down to PKs for us in MLS. Always sucks when you squander a lead on a dumb penalty. 

ETA: And we're on to the next round!

Also, why are they shaking hands while most people aren't wearing masks?

Edited by Tywin et al.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sancho to United might very well not happen afterall.

Kicker reporting Dortmund are not willing to lower their demands (so no corona discount), and United are very well aware of that. There's a deadline for that deal (start of the training camp 10th of August). It's either put up (120m € = ~109m £) or shut up for United by then. That's supposedly the agreed position between all involved parties. With Sancho still favoring a Liverpool move anyway (bigger chances of silverware), there's very little concern on Dortmund's end about Sancho doing a Dembele 2.0.

So what's the consensus among our resident United fans, will the club find the money, or will they walk away from this one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I'm absolutely certain is that Liverpool is not going to pay that much for Sancho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the point they were making is that Sancho's not completely against staying another year and seeing what options he has after that.

This is probably just Dortmund trying to spur United into action, rather than waiting for Super Ed to twiddle his thumbs until the last minute and then pay the asking price anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

With Sancho still favoring a Liverpool move anyway (bigger chances of silverware), there's very little concern on Dortmund's end about Sancho doing a Dembele 2.0.

 

Kicker are the only ones reporting that. Other reliable journos like Romano and Di Marzio say otherwise i.e. Sancho wants to leave Dortmund and is keen on joining United.

 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So what's the consensus among our resident United fans, will the club find the money, or will they walk away from this one?

 

I think we'll reach an agreement eventually. €120m is a lot of money but that is actually a discount. A year ago all these German sources were claiming with confidence that Sancho's price tag would be €140-150m. Also, that deadline is pretty laughable. Plenty of times in the past selling clubs have tried to flex by insisting on a deadline to complete a transfer but it never ever happens. If a deal takes longer to hammer out then it takes longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sancho may or may not prefer Liverpool but Werner definitely wanted to join and Thiago seems interested as well. Shame that when our player pull is at maybe it’s highest in the premier league era we supposedly don’t have the money to spend while our rivals do. 
I am sure we will make some signings after a few more outgoings though. Definitely need a backup LB and a fourth CB

Edited by Mark Antony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...