US Politics: Butter Not Guns

DMC

16 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I saw something on Twitter claiming Castro was speaking like an hour ago and now I can't find it

He wasn’t on the list linked from unthread. I think the convention this year after months of just laying low should be about bringing the old razzle dazzle and setting a vision for the future. Dragging out uninspiring dinosaurs like the Clintons isn’t really gonna do it. Keep it short, only let anyone speak who is gonna deliver a barn burner and then I dunno, see if Beyoncé and Bruce Springsteen will perform

59 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

You're all Yanks. Texans are Yanks.

Then there's this: an old family friend was a longtime diplomat, Congressional staffer, and academic. He worked for Republican Senators from Massachusetts, he worked at USAID, he was an advisor on presidential campaigns for George Romney and Nelson Rockefeller, he worked at the JFK School at Harvard. He was even one of the deputy AGs that walked during Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre.

From my perspective he was as connected-white-New-England as it gets. But when I described him in conversation as having "Yankee" values, he absolutely bristled. His family was Irish and he got shat on by actual Yankee families growing up.

13 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

Only senators from states with Democratic governors should be tapped; Biden is going to have only a thin Senate majority, if any, and we can't afford to narrow it any further.

Warren's seat should be fine, even though MA doesn't have a Democratic gov.  Other than that, there's not many Senators that would prospective cabinet member in states without a Dem gov anyway.  Maybe Maryland or New Hampshire.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

Then there's this: an old family friend was a longtime diplomat, Congressional staffer, and academic. He worked for Republican Senators from Massachusetts, he worked at USAID, he was an advisor on presidential campaigns for George Romney and Nelson Rockefeller, he worked at the JFK School at Harvard. He was even one of the deputy AGs that walked during Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre.

From my perspective he was as connected-white-New-England as it gets. But when I described him in conversation as having "Yankee" values, he absolutely bristled. His family was Irish and he got shat on by actual Yankee families growing up.

So he's a decedent of The Dead Rabbits is what you're saying?

20 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

He was even one of the deputy AGs that walked during Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre.

There's only one Deputy AG at a time, and the one who got fired during the Saturday Night Massacre was William Ruckelshaus (what a name!), who does not fit your description.  Perhaps Ralph Erickson who preceded him.

Just saw Critical Insights has Biden up 1 (39/38) in the Maine 2nd - that'd be the hard one.  Good sign.  Also have Gideon up 5 (43/38) among likely voters.  Should be noted CI is ranked C/D by 538 and the likely voter sample was 453.  But still encouraging numbers.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just saw Critical Insights has Biden up 1 (39/38) in the Maine 2nd - that'd be the hard one.  Good sign.  Also have Gideon up 5 (43/38) among likely voters.  Should be noted CI is ranked C/D by 538 and the likely voter sample was 453.  But still encouraging numbers.

I am really surprised that Gideon and Cunningham both seem to have significant leads, and in the case of the latter, seem to be polling ahead of Biden.  No way to know if that will hold up, but it is damn encouraging because flipping NC and ME both looked pretty challenging just three months ago. 

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

Missed the one that flashed on MSNBC, but it had Biden +10 nationwide.

And it appears Biden has officially made his pick. We'll see when we find out.

The definition of Yankee is one of perspective. 

global scale - all Americans are Yankees

US scale - Particularly the South, the civil war defines what a Yankee is.  Anyone from a state that remained in the Union - with the possible exception of the border states - Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Missouri = Yankees. In the southern US someone from New York or Pennsylvania is absolutely a Yankee, whether they like it or not.

Within the North - New Englanders are Yankees

Within New England - only waspy types are Yankees?

seems like whatever it is, nobody wants to be one.

This is a cool article from a really good paper supporting what I said before that caused all the hullabaloo.  I'm not saying they are right, I am just saying that they, and to a lesser extent we, feel threatened.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/09/us/evangelicals-trump-christianity.html#click=https://t.co/xnJRQpO23N

And @Derfel Cadarnshe's not still mad she mentions it a few times a week but we mostly laugh about it.  The children talk about it more frequently, even though I ask them politely to drop it.  What's a man and husband to do?

On 8/6/2020 at 3:54 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Who would know Some Esoteric Trivia like that?  RC to me is either a Delicious Soda they used to make a long time ago or "radio-controlled", as in an "RC car" which was how my generation entertained ourselves without drugs or The Internet if we didn't get invited to do popular activities.

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

There's only one Deputy AG at a time, and the one who got fired during the Saturday Night Massacre was William Ruckelshaus (what a name!), who does not fit your description.  Perhaps Ralph Erickson who preceded him.

My mistake -- he was an Associate Attorney General at the time and left with Elliot Richardson. Still definitely not a goddamn Yankee.

9 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

Who would know Some Esoteric Trivia like that?  RC to me is either a Delicious Soda they used to make a long time ago or "radio-controlled", as in an "RC car" which was how my generation entertained ourselves without drugs or The Internet if we didn't get invited to do popular activities.

I guess you're a delicious soda, @Fragile Bird

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

That was Monmouth. 

Thanks. The polling keeps looking great, but I'm still deeply troubled about voter suppression and it appears Republicans aren't even trying to hide it anymore. I can only guess why?

16 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

I’ve got some great news for you - they still make RC Cola. It’s not common but it’s out there.

25 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

You leave me speechless. Really.

Archived