Avatar: The Last Airbender live-action show on Netflix (now sans its creators).

Werthead

Is there a reason why the show runners decided to remove all of Aang and Kataras romance from season 1? Especially since it was there since episode 1 in the animated show…

Finished the show, not sure how its a great strategy on Ozai's part when the earth kingdom didnt give a fuck about the North anyways, and Omashu wouldv fallen to them either ways, now it was just with a significant amount of loss in resources sent to the North. Also found it hilarious to see toddler Azula running around playing to be a general lol, i just cant buy that actress as a warrior. Pretty mediocre overall, a 6/10, hope it dosent get renewed cause i really dont enjoy hate watching and it will be tough to resist more of Avatar, even if it is this show.

Think ill start a rewatch of the cartoon next...

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

45 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

Question: Does Aang actually learn waterbending?

Is there any point in Azula being there?

How is the romance between Sokka and Yue?

No and no. The romance is actually pretty decent, all the sokka stuff, other than whitewashing some aspects of his character, have been handled competently I feel. Same with Zuko and Iroh. Everything else, Aang especially, falls pretty flat for me.

To be fair, I can understand them removing Aang and Korra's romance. I always thought it was akward enough in the cartoon - the difference between 12 and 14 is a lot (and pretty apparent in the portrayal, Katara clearly being a lot more mature than Aang throughout). When you're using live action with actors at similar ages where the actual age gap is even bigger- yeah, I get it. 

Finished it tonight. Episode 6 was one of the better ones, with the Zuko storyline being decently executed ; this one and episode 2 were the ones I kinda enjoyed.
Sadly these were the only ones. Episode 7 had a few good ideas, but after the opening shots (which managed to give a bit of wonder), I could never get into it.
Episode 8 was criminally underwhelming. I'd hoped that with a big budget, they'd at least have managed a few good fight scenes, but the battle and the duels were a miss for me.

Spoiler

The destruction of the fleet was all right ; these ships were well done.

I feel that of all the things to screw up, the show managed to fail at conveying the power of bending.
I went back to the cartoon as a palate cleanser, and yep, although it feels old on the technical side, by the end of season 1 it had achieved a sense of its own mysticism and provided a fair view of what balance or imbalance meant. By contrast, I feel the show toned down its spiritual dimension/meaning. It's there, but at the same time I didn't get the message that power itself is something to be feared ; instead they added some grimness to be blamed on war.
It could be seen as a minor tonal difference, but it's exactly the kind of change one could have dreaded, because it undermines the show as a whole. Given the mediocrity of the execution, I'm not inclined to forgive this type of mistake.

This first season was a hard miss for me. Even if the actors could get better, the writing so far doesn't live up to the original (in part because it tries too hard to mimick it). A good soundtrack is also sorely missing  - good music can elevate even average shows.
And as several people have pointed out, it would have been easier to excuse all the flaws if One Piece hadn't just achieved the successful adaptation of a story that was at least as challenging to adapt ; the comparison hurts pretty bad.

1 hour ago, fionwe1987 said:

Spiritual incest, I suppose.

Aang-Korra would be... Mastrubation?

I believe the term typically used for this umbrella of this is selfcest lol. At least that's the one I see used for (Elden Ring spoiler)

Spoiler

Marika and Radagon

Even though that one is so clearly inspired by a lot of mythology

48 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I like where this discussion, about a show for 10 year olds,  has gone :lol:

Korra ain't for 10 year olds!

The more I watch this show, the more I feel Netflix fucked up by picking Last Airbender to live-actionize. Korra is much better suited, tonally, and 8 hour long episodes would actually allow them to deepen that story, and the restrictions of the animated medium, which prevented them more than hinting at Korra and Asami's attraction, etc. could be shown more explicitly. 

For ATLA, I think the cost of making the live action show drove them to tonally change it in ways to attract a broader audience that end up seriously hurting the story. 

What works so well in the animation is the innocence and genuine childishness of the gaang in the backdrop of a generational war of conquest. It's clear now why Bryke left the show, this just doesn't feel right. 

14 hours ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair, I can understand them removing Aang and Korra's romance. I always thought it was akward enough in the cartoon - the difference between 12 and 14 is a lot (and pretty apparent in the portrayal, Katara clearly being a lot more mature than Aang throughout). When you're using live action with actors at similar ages where the actual age gap is even bigger- yeah, I get it. 

It’s not like this is IT by Stephen King, it’s just an innocent kiss by two kids….

Maybe I’m just out dated on what’s acceptable these days I guess but this really shouldn’t cause controversy…and I’m a guy in my 20s lol so Gen Z must be really prudish.

5 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

For ATLA, I think the cost of making the live action show drove them to tonally change it in ways to attract a broader audience that end up seriously hurting the story. 

What works so well in the animation is the innocence and genuine childishness of the gaang in the backdrop of a generational war of conquest. It's clear now why Bryke left the show, this just doesn't feel right. 

Was it really just the cost? I believe that it might also be because the adults in charge are hyperfixating on the show's more mature aspects and overestimate how present they actually were in the show. Show-Iroh is probably the prime victim of this.

It doesn't help that book 1 is generally overshadowed by book 2 (and 3 to a lesser extent) at least in the public's perception.

Ironically though I felt like the live-action show trusts the audience a lot less than the cartoon did.

Edited by ASOIAFrelatedusername

23 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Also why dosent Azula have blue flames ?

Spoiler

Her flames shortly turn blue when she beats on her instructor in a fit of rage during episode 5 (at 20 minutes).

My guess is that they want her to get those as character developmentTM.

Edited by ASOIAFrelatedusername

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Maybe I’m just out dated on what’s acceptable these days I guess but this really shouldn’t cause controversy…and I’m a guy in my 20s lol so Gen Z must be really prudish.

I'm 37 and when I was a kid if a 14 year old had a 12 year old boyfriend/girlfriend they'd have been seen as a weirdo. If a 16 year old was caught kissing a 13 year old - as i believe would have been the case for the actors- they'd have been ostracized forever. Obviously no rational person would really believe the actress was being some kind of predator but I could totally understand the producers not wanting to put the kids in that position. It's nothing to do with prudishness.

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm 37 and when I was a kid if a 14 year old had a 12 year old boyfriend/girlfriend they'd have been seen as a weirdo. If a 16 year old was caught kissing a 13 year old - as i believe would have been the case for the actors- they'd have been ostracized forever. Obviously no rational person would really believe the actress was being some kind of predator but I could totally understand the producers not wanting to put the kids in that position. It's nothing to do with prudishness.

Same, even when I was at school, dating someone even in the year below would be seen as really fucking weird. Age differences at that age seem massive, less so as you get older.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I had a relationship in high school with someone 2 years younger than me and was never considered weird. Maybe it’s just an area thing. In fact I believe a friend of mine had one with a person one year younger, again nobody said anything to him, as far as I can recall.

Edited by sifth