US Politics: Birthing Again

Tywin Manderly

43 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

That’s a lot of croissants. 

I can't lie, they're vastly overrated. Throwing them at someone seems like a better use than eating them.

35 minutes ago, Week said:

Instead of whining about perceived optics of the Democratic party through shit-colored glasses...

We can talk about --

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1295873159657291780

Or the optics of this:

I only :ninja:'d you on the last page. Funny from the article I linked though, who approaches a group of people with a gun while claiming they were scared for their life? Wouldn't you take cover, lock the doors and call the cops if you were actually worried for your safety?

2 hours ago, Fez said:

It does make me wonder if there are any more Republicans that will speaking tomorrow or Thursday that we also haven't heard of.

Now we have Colin Powell as well for tonight.

56 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

This is some convoluted logic. She's supposed to tell the Native American caucus that they made a mistake inviting her to speak, and that they themselves centered a white woman? Or is it a test? Like they invited her so she could show how aware she is, by turning them down?

Maybe in this case the caucus wanted to actually talk to an influential United States Senator. There don't have to be optics within optics. Sometimes a group just invites a politician to speak.

And of course if she turned it down with the exact explanation you demand, it would leak and get played as "Elizabeth Warren rejects invitation from Native American caucus." The nuance about not wanting to center herself would get lost. It's silly to think otherwise.

Come on -- you first thought she was going there uninvited, didn't you?

As a matter of fact I did not think she was there uninvited so don't start ascribing malice with no proof.

For the record, most of my issue with this is coming from a position where I think that there are elements within the left who will hold this against Warren and I want to avoid that. I was not one of the people posting snake emojis in the responses of Warren supporters, and those are more the people that I am concerned about.

It's a convention it is all about optics.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm wondering, and I know the chances are slim, if a sitting Republican of some prominence will come out and endorse him at the convention. That would be fascinating. 

1 minute ago, GrimTuesday said:

It's a convention to get the Biden/Harris ticket elected, and you already said you don't think it will have an effect on that.  So while, sure, conventions are about optics, who cares about Liz Warren's optics?

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm wondering, and I know the chances are slim, if a sitting Republican of some prominence will come out and endorse him at the convention. That would be fascinating. 

Romney would be the best bet I guess.  Or maybe Larry Hogan?  But yeah, chances are slim to none.

2 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

As a matter of fact I did not think she was there uninvited so don't start ascribing malice with no proof.

For the record, most of my issue with this is coming from a position where I think that there are elements within the left who will hold this against Warren and I want to avoid that. I was not one of the people posting snake emojis in the responses of Warren supporters, and those are more the people that I am concerned about.

So you're really here to protect Elizabeth Warren, one of the two most popular progressive Senators in America, from being misjudged by a bunch of Bernie Bros for accepting the invitation of a group that she wronged. And the snake emoji crowd would not have criticized her for refusing that invitation because they would have listened to and accepted the nuance of her refusal to speak.

At some point, aren't your explanations supposed to start making more sense? And have you considered the optics of what it looks like when you make these ridiculous arguments?

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Romney would be the best bet I guess.  Or maybe Larry Hogan?  But yeah, chances are slim to none.

Those would be the safest bets, and they both have the political capital to survive such a move, but it wouldn't be the same as someone with something to lose doing so. Because that's one of the core problems with today's Republican Party, self preservation is still what's driving so many of these people, Constitutional responsibilities be damned. 

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

So you're really here to protect Elizabeth Warren, one of the two most popular progressive Senators in America, from being misjudged by a bunch of Bernie Bros for accepting the invitation of a group that she wronged. And the snake emoji crowd would not have criticized her for refusing that invitation because they would have listened to and accepted the nuance of her refusal to speak.

At some point, aren't your explanations supposed to start making more sense? And have you considered the optics of what it looks like when you make these ridiculous arguments?

Pretty sure my reasoning makes perfect sense. I am frustrated by Warren's continuing to make mistakes that she does not need to make. As for her refusing the invitation, no one would have cared because it would not have been a story. No one would have noticed if she was not there.

42 minutes ago, DMC said:

The only one that would truly matter would be GWB, and I can't imagine he'd ever do it. But every little bit helps.

In other news, the Wisconsin Elections Commission says that Kanye did not submit enough valid signatures to make the ballot. The commission also tossed the Green party candidate from the ballot. Apparently there was an issue with the candidate address given on some paperwork, and the campaign never responded with an updated address. Third party candidates aren't polling nearly as well as they did in 2016, but they aren't at 0% either; and Green pretty much only pulls from Democrats.

https://elections.wi.gov/sites/elections.wi.gov/files/2020-08/August 20 Open Session Materials_0.pdf

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

it wouldn't be the same as someone with something to lose doing so.

Susan Collins?  Still say the chance of her doing it is close to zero but that's the first one that comes to mind.  Guess you could argue Murkowski still has something to lose, and she probably has a greater likelihood.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

The only one that would truly matter would be GWB, and I can't imagine he'd ever do it. But every little bit helps.

Yeah I don't think Dubya would ever speak at a DNC.  Ever.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Susan Collins?  Still say the chance of her doing it is close to zero but that's the first one that comes to mind.  Guess you could argue Murkowski still has something to lose, and she probably has a greater likelihood.

Collins wouldn't If that happens I will literally venmo you the money to buy a very nice bottle of scotch (or dealer's choice, within reason), and ya'll can hold me to that. Murkowski in theory could, but I'm not sure that would do much. Again, I know we're playing the fun-not-happening-hypothetical-game, but I'm just trying to imagine what would happen if Marco Rubio appeared and endorsed Biden. If he or that jackass from SC had a shred of integrity, they would.

And with that, Joe Biden is officially the nominee of the Democratic Party for the office of the Presidency of the United States of America. 

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

This is some convoluted logic. She's supposed to tell the Native American caucus that they made a mistake inviting her to speak, and that they themselves centered a white woman? Or is it a test? Like they invited her so she could show how aware she is, by turning them down?

Maybe in this case the caucus wanted to actually talk to an influential United States Senator. There don't have to be optics within optics. Sometimes a group just invites a politician to speak.

And of course if she turned it down with the exact explanation you demand, it would leak and get played as "Elizabeth Warren rejects invitation from Native American caucus." The nuance about not wanting to center herself would get lost. It's silly to think otherwise.

Come on -- you first thought she was going there uninvited, didn't you?

For me, I am not mad at Elizabeth Warren for accepting the invitation. I am annoyed with the Native American Caucus for inviting her. If they needed an influential senator (I don’t really know why), Sanders was endorsed by most of the heavy hitters in indigenous activism and has been a far better advocate for indigenous issues. But personally, I wish they would have taken the chance to platform an actual indigenous activist- the obvious choice being Winona LaDuke. The fight to stop Line 3 (through my home Rez) continues, and that should have been front and center. LaDuke has been ramping up visibility in the last couple weeks - my feed has been wallpapered with photos of Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda posing with Winona LaDuke and Stop Line 3 posters. Also, I would like to see them get Dr Fauci or another prominent medical professional to talk about how devastating the COVID-19 crisis has been on the Navajo Nation. Or, we could focus on border separations and bring Julían Castro to speak about our indigenous relatives being detained on the border. 

Choosing Warren distracts from the message.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Here's a $58k bottle of scotch.  I'll take the money for that one, thanks.

I can cover that, but I thought within reason meant something under four figures if you weren't being a jackass. :P

ETA: Also, why is the price $58, 801.97? Do they really need that two extra bucks?

Archived