US Politics: Talk Radio Ravings and Other Mindless Mouthing

Tywin Manderly

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It’s not really an exaggeration. There’s videos of him being attacked.

I don’t buy this idea just because he committed a crime that no one assaulting him could have known about makes assaulting him okay.

This is a distraction. It doesn't matter whether people were justified attacking him. He shouldn't have been in town. He shouldn't have been out after curfew. He shouldn't have had an assault rifle. All those are reasons the corrupt as fuck Kenosha cops should have gotten his dumb ass off the street instead of giving him water and expressing their appreciation for his thrice-illegal presence there.

13 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

This is a distraction. It doesn't matter whether people were justified attacking him. He shouldn't have been in town. He shouldn't have been out after curfew. He shouldn't have had an assault rifle. All those are reasons the corrupt as fuck Kenosha cops should have gotten his dumb ass off the street instead of giving him water and expressing their appreciation for his thrice-illegal presence there.

One of the videos shows a police officer in an armoured vehicle telling him to get the hell out of the area and not to come back. Obviously he ignored the advice.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

There’s videos of him being attacked.

Was that before or after he shot/killed someone? Genuinely asking. That would obviously make a big difference as to whether or not self-defense can legit be raised. 

(Although the whole “I don’t have non-lethal options” (paraphrasing) does not exactly help his case either way (nevermind him driving there with guns from another state).

42 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

One of the videos shows a police officer in an armoured vehicle telling him to get the hell out of the area and not to come back. Obviously he ignored the advice.

Sounds like he went full Zimmerman. You never go full Zimmerman. 

27 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It absolutely matters. 

He shouldn’t have had the assault rifle.

Or transported it across state.

He committed crimes here.

Agreed. 
But him doing these things doesn’t mean anyone gets to assault him unprovoked.

13 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Was that before or after he shot/killed someone? Genuinely asking. That would obviously make a big difference as to whether or not self-defense can legit be raised. 

(Although the whole “I don’t have non-lethal options” (paraphrasing) does not exactly help his case either way (nevermind him driving there with guns from another state).

From the initial video, we see the first person who was killed lunging Ritterman.

We also hear a gunshot.

This was after, having pursued him for some time.

5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It absolutely matters. 

Agreed. 

I disagree with your characterization of events and I'll leave it at that before you can try and reinterpret events further.

29 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

From the initial video, we see the first person who was killed lunging Ritterman.

Food for thought, kiddo had to have done something to cause someone to lung at a person with a giant ass rifle. 

33 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It absolutely matters. 

Agreed. 

We also hear a gunshot.

This was after, having pursued him for some time.

I mean, you're right. I use this logic all the time with the cops (just because you don't comply, you're mouthy, etc., doesn't mean they have the right to assault and murder you). I think this kid came looking for trouble, but he's a dumb ass fucking teen. There's too much to account for in this issue to say it's an easy "this or that" scenario.

As I posted in the previous US political thread about this balderdash about rural areas not suffering from gun violence etc.   I GREW UP ON A SMALL FAMILY WORKING FARM IN A COMMUNITY, COUNTY, STATE, REGION THAT WAS MOSTLY FAMILIES ON SMALL FAMILY WORKING FARMS. Gun maiming and killing was common, as was violence of all kinds.  Guns and alcohol constantly mixed, and they mixed as well with vehicles.  Little kids were frequently involved.  Not to mention suicide by gun.  The numbers of maimings and deaths were large.  And personally and interfamily and inter social group shootings happened all the time.  Read about the rural South fer pete's sake, then and now.

Plus everybody who didn't grow up or live on a small working family farm, came from one either in his/her own generation or his/her parents' generation.

So my experience calls bs on those claims.

So I call bs about ;how much safe from

Since the cancel culture thread was closed, I'll post this here.

A high school teacher wore an "I can't breathe" shirt a day after attending a workshop at her school about creating an anti-racist environment. A parent saw it, got upset, it got onto the radar of a right wing podcast troll, and the teacher was targeted by death threats. She's a single mother with a high school aged daughter. She says she felt abandoned by her administration despite the fact that there's nothing wrong with what she did.    

On the first day of class at El Camino Real Charter High School, an English teacher appeared before her ninth-grade students online wearing a T-shirt with the words “I can’t breathe” written across the front in big block letters. She had just attended a workshop at her school about how to create an anti-racist curriculum. Her gesture was part of a national program called Black Lives Matter at School, a colleague wrote.

The slogan she wore has become a rallying cry for a national movement against police brutality. The three words were the last spoken by George Floyd, a Black man who died in May after a Minneapolis police officer put a knee on his neck, and by Eric Garner, a Black man who died after a police officer restrained him in a chokehold in New York in 2014.

But one parent thought his daughter’s teacher had gone too far. He just wanted his daughter to “go to English class and learn about English,” he told KCBS-TV Channel 2. He shared a screenshot of the teacher on social media — unleashing nearly two weeks of turmoil as a national divide over race and policing infiltrated the high school in suburban Woodland Hills.

After a conservative media personality reposted the father’s screenshot, a torrent of threats poured in on social media, frightening the teacher enough that she fled her home with her daughter and sought restraining orders against the parent and the media commentator.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-27/black-lives-matter-shirt-charter-high-school

This wasn't an editor at the New York Times getting fired for letting through a monstrous op-ed. This wasn't someone getting canned for a racist outburst caught on video. This wasn't a professor tweeting comparisons between quarantine and slavery. Where's JK Rowling and Bari Weiss to stand up for this teacher's First Amendment rights?

Do you think this teacher's case will get registered on that bullshit "cancelled people" website?  Will any of the people so very concerned about liberal "cancel culture" run amok deplore this development?

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Food for thought, kiddo had to have done something to cause someone to lung at a person with a giant ass rifle. 

He was attacked therefore there must been good reason for it is not sound reasoning.

25 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I mean, you're right. I use this logic all the time with the cops (just because you don't comply, you're mouthy, etc., doesn't mean they have the right to assault and murder you). I think this kid came looking for trouble, but he's a dumb ass fucking teen. There's too much to account for in this issue to say it's an easy "this or that" scenario.

True.

We don’t give automatic rifles to minors, and applaud for trying to play militia.

Kid should have not taken a gun across state lines.

20 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

He was attacked therefore there must been good reason for it is not sound reasoning.

It sure as shit is if someone has a big ass rifle. What would make you charge someone with a huge gun? When you're probably unarmed?

True.

We don’t give automatic rifles to minors, and applaud for trying to play militia.

Kid should have not taken a gun across state lines.

The kid broke multiple laws and ignored direct police orders before shots rang out. Why are you giving him some benefit of doubt? All signs point to an idiot racist kid who broke the law over and over because he wanted to feel tough and show some scary black people his gun, and that's when for some reason everything went wrong. Logic would indicate he owns the lion's share of the blame.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It sure as shit is if someone has a big ass rifle. What would make you charge someone with a huge gun? When you're probably unarmed?

The kid broke multiple laws and ignored direct police orders before shots rang out. Why are you giving him some benefit of doubt? All signs point to an idiot racist kid who broke the law over and over because he wanted to feel tough and show some scary black people his gun, and that's when for some reason everything went wrong. Logic would indicate he owns the lion's share of the blame.

In the second video of the NYT article I linked above, one of the guys chasing him (the one he shot in the arm) had a handgun. You can see it in the video. Personally think that’s going to make it pretty dicey in court to get a jury to convict for murder 1 for the incident seen in the video. One of the guys tried to hit him with a skateboard and the guy right behind that guy has a gun, he shoots both.

the missing piece is that he had already shot someone before the scene in the video where he is being chased down. As far as I can tell there is no video of that shooting. I think we can surmise, though, that he is being chased because of the first shooting so I really don’t know legally where the whole thing will sit.

agreed that he was looking for trouble, shouldn’t have been there at all, etc, but I think the fate of the kid will really depend on the details of the first shooting.

18 minutes ago, S John said:

In the second video of the NYT article I linked above, one of the guys chasing him (the one he shot in the arm) had a handgun. You can see it in the video. Personally think that’s going to make it pretty dicey in court to get a jury to convict for murder 1 for the incident seen in the video. One of the guys tried to hit him with a skateboard and the guy right behind that guy has a gun, he shoots both.

the missing piece is that he had already shot someone before the scene in the video where he is being chased down. As far as I can tell there is no video of that shooting. I think we can surmise, though, that he is being chased because of the first shooting so I really don’t know legally where the whole thing will sit.

agreed that he was looking for trouble, shouldn’t have been there at all, etc, but I think the fate of the kid will really depend on the details of the first shooting.

Thanks for the context, I did not see the second video. And I was wondering what the hell that one guy had. 

One major unknown is prior to the first shots fired, who confronted who? If he did, he's screwed. If he was confronted, that gets tricky, because then he'd probably have to be charged with a lesser crime. We'll see.

Ugh, I'm getting so sick of Republicans saying Trump cares about every American while on a daily basis he trashes people left and right, says all his enemies are some form of evil and tells white people in the burbs to be afraid of minorities coming into their communities and ruining their way of life. 

They all believe every big lie.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ugh, I'm getting so sick of Republicans saying Trump cares about every American while on a daily basis he trashes people left and right, says all his enemies are some form of evil and tells white people in the burbs to be afraid of minorities coming into their communities and ruining their way of life. 

They all believe every big lie.

Just like Sarah Palin talking about "real Americans" -- Trumpkins don't think you count if you aren't a white Christian.

Geez, I come home from a birthday dinner and I see crazy Rudy screaming that Biden can't make America safe from the basement? Joe Biden isn't the fucking president. Trump was unifying the country after the death of George Floyd's death? Are you insane?

Archived