NFL 2020: Beckham and The Brownies

l2 0 5 5

Another Sunday, another offensive stat packed game for Dallas as they lose. Another week of watching them squander away chances, make dumb decisions, poor coaching choices and yet another week of Jaylon Smith being out of position and chasing every damn play from behind. 

Oh and if OBJ played Dallas every week he would be the GOAT of GOATs

12 hours ago, dbunting said:

Another Sunday, another offensive stat packed game for Dallas as they lose. Another week of watching them squander away chances, make dumb decisions, poor coaching choices and yet another week of Jaylon Smith being out of position and chasing every damn play from behind. 

Oh and if OBJ played Dallas every week he would be the GOAT of GOATs

I never thought I'd say this but I miss Rod Marinelli. I blasted his defense because they never made big plays and almost never forced turnovers. Last season Dallas was second to last in starting field position which certainly helped Dak's gaudy stats. But on the other hand, Marinelli's defenses rarely gave up big plays. Boy has that changed this year.

Mike Nolan brought in a complex defense that uses multiple fronts and coverages and it has been an utter dumpster fire. I don't care about the injuries...every team has them and good coaching can make adjustments. They are on pace to be worse than that 2013 defense that statistically was one of the worst of all-time. The joke that year was Monty Kiffin was calling plays up in the booth  while wearing Depends diapers.

And I'll see your Jaylon Smith and I'll give you DeMarcus Lawrence: 4 games, 0 sacks. He may be being paid like a "War Daddy" but he hasn't played like one since 2018. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

The Texans finally axed Bill O'Brien, thus setting up the next coach/GM combo to fail spectacularly because the team has minimal talent and no first or second round draft pick in the 2021 draft.

They only have holes at WR, RB, C, G, TE, DT, DE, OLB, MLB, CB, and safety. 

Other than that they're stacked.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

They only have holes at WR, RB, C, G, TE, DT, DE, OLB, MLB, CB, and safety. 

Other than that they're stacked.

This just feels so very Browns.  Let an idiot tear a roster down to the studs, then hire someone to clean up the mess but fire them after two years because they couldn't make a team with zero talent good.

17 minutes ago, briantw said:

This just feels so very Browns.  Let an idiot tear a roster down to the studs, then hire someone to clean up the mess but fire them after two years because they couldn't make a team with zero talent good.

Yeah, the Texans might have managed to get the worst of all possible worlds with this timing.  The time to fire O'Brien would have been before he mortgaged the 2021 draft away, or after 2021 when he'd had to coach through the ramifications of his bad GM decisions. As it is, no one is going to want the GM job since the cupboard is so bare and Houston ownership has shown itself to be both too generous to a failing coach and too indulgent of a bad GM.

Ah well, at least they have the former Patriots chaplain to replace him as GM and Romeo Crennel to replace him as coach.

Ye gods.

16 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah, the Texans might have managed to get the worst of all possible worlds with this timing.  The time to fire O'Brien would have been before he mortgaged the 2021 draft away, or after 2021 when he'd had to coach through the ramifications of his bad GM decisions. As it is, no one is going to want the GM job since the cupboard is so bare and Houston ownership has shown itself to be both too generous to a failing coach and too indulgent of a bad GM.

Ah well, at least they have the former Patriots chaplain to replace him as GM and Romeo Crennel to replace him as coach.

Ye gods.

Not necessarily. It really all depends on the amount of job security you have built into the contract. They still have a QB with top five talent. I'd take that job if you got a two year buffer in which nothing is really your fault, then begin the traditional 3-4 year build. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not necessarily. It really all depends on the amount of job security you have built into the contract. They still have a QB with top five talent. I'd take that job if you got a two year buffer in which nothing is really your fault, then begin the traditional 3-4 year build. 

Coach and GM contracts are usually fully guaranteed, so anyone who takes the job is getting all the money regardless of whether they make it one year or five.

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

Coach and GM contracts are usually fully guaranteed, so anyone who takes the job is getting all the money regardless of whether they make it one year or five.

Hence why the job is appealing if you can get a deal with years built in for the dark times. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hence why the job is appealing if you can get a deal with years built in for the dark times. 

No doubt.  The main issue is that there will probably be several other jobs open next spring and a few of them might be more desirable than the Texans job given the lack of assets to facilitate immediate improvement.  And if I'm a Texans fan I'm probably not terribly confident in ownership to pick the right guy.

And as Browns fan, I've definitely been there.

Any thoughts on where O'Brien ends up, I'd guess back as a coordinator again or maybe as a head coach at a non elite college.

To me as an owner, the second he came to me and said he wanted to trade 2 first round picks for a left tackle that was going to be a FA soon I would have had him drug tested and stripped of GM duties.

51 minutes ago, briantw said:

No doubt.  The main issue is that there will probably be several other jobs open next spring and a few of them might be more desirable than the Texans job given the lack of assets to facilitate immediate improvement.  And if I'm a Texans fan I'm probably not terribly confident in ownership to pick the right guy.

And as Browns fan, I've definitely been there.

New regime, tank outright, and trade Watson for two firsts and two seconds, do you agree to that rebuild over a 5-6 year window? 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

New regime, tank outright, and trade Watson for two firsts and two seconds, do you agree to that rebuild over a 5-6 year window? 

I'd take the #1 overall and Sam Darnold for Deshaun Watson and a 2nd. Then trade the Lawrence pick for a top-10 this year and a first next year. Someone like the Giants or the WASHINGTON football team can ruin Trevor, use those picks to start building out the roster and take whomever is the next hot young thing if Darnold can't be salvaged.

11 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'd take the #1 overall and Sam Darnold for Deshaun Watson and a 2nd. Then trade the Lawrence pick for a top-10 this year and a first next year. Someone like the Giants or the WASHINGTON football team can ruin Trevor, use those picks to start building out the roster and take whomever is the next hot young thing if Darnold can't be salvaged.

Idk if I agree at all with the first trade, but you're selling the right to draft Lawrence way too low. 

Archived