US politics : clowns want their money back

Rippounet

7 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Generally takes a couple weeks to progress to severe disease, and a week or 2 longer to kill. More likely it'd be right before the election.

He's in the highest risk group, over 70 and obese. It could knock him off very, very quickly.

So...the WH has announced that Trump and Melania are waiting for their test results and are starting the process of being in quarantine.

Since reporters found out that Hope Hicks was sick more than an hour ago, and they have the Abbott 15 minute rapid test, one suspects that perhaps the rapid test showed he has the virus and they have done a second test because it is more reliable than the rapid test.

Hope Hicks is apparently fairly sick.

On the bright side of things, that asshole Miller was traveling with the President the last couple of days and maybe he’s sick too.

If the rapid test was negative I bet they would have announced that. They’ll get the lab results back very soon, Trump won’t be waiting two or three or 14 days for his test results.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-overturn-navy-seal-ethos-gender-neutral

I know this is an attempt to distract, but this quite frankly makes my annoyance with the hyper paranoia of "PC culture" grow.

Trump is right that many would applaud this move because it'd be against ultra-PC betas who'd disagree with it.

So long as it pisses off the dreaded SJW, reactionaries will react to defend it.

They aren't sexist though. They just hate awknowliging the fact women are allowed to try for things previously only allowed to.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

So...the WH has announced that Trump and Melania are waiting for their test results and are starting the process of being in quarantine.

Since reporters found out that Hope Hicks was sick more than an hour ago, and they have the Abbott 15 minute rapid test, one suspects that perhaps the rapid test showed he has the virus and they have done a second test because it is more reliable than the rapid test.

Hope Hicks is apparently fairly sick.

On the bright side of things, that asshole Miller was traveling with the President the last couple of days and maybe he’s sick too.

If the rapid test was negative I bet they would have announced that. They’ll get the lab results back very soon, Trump won’t be waiting two or three or 14 days for his test results.

IIRC, Miller's wife had the virus early on. So there's a good chance he already did too and was just asymptomatic/had light symptoms.

As for Trump, I'd be surprised if he tested positive this soon; my understanding is that it usually takes longer viral load to build up. Unless Hicks was already shedding the virus before yesterday, ot Trump coincidently was exposed by someone else.

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

He's in the highest risk group, over 70 and obese. It could knock him off very, very quickly.

Not sure why I just spent 30mins looking at this, but I'm not really seeing that backed up anywhere on a quick scan of the literature - you'll need to cite. Progression to respiratory failure is generally several days after hospital admission, which is 1-2 weeks after onset of symptoms, which is several days after exposure. I can't really see a decent age comparison in time to death in any of the papers I'm looking at, but as >80% of those who end up dying are >60 the samples are already heavily skewed towards the elderly with preexisting conditions. Sure I'll buy there's the odd case which knocks people off in a week, but they'd be rare.

Trump also has access to the best medical care money can buy... which can prolong things.

Also:

1 minute ago, Fez said:

As for Trump, I'd be surprised if he tested positive this soon; my understanding is that it usually takes longer viral load to build up. Unless Hicks was already shedding the virus before yesterday, ot Trump coincidently was exposed by someone else.

Apologies for the dumb title.

Biden flip-flops on door-knocking with just 33 days left
Biden's campaign announced plans to start door-to-door campaigning after insisting for months the strategy wasn't necessary.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/01/biden-flip-flops-on-door-knocking-with-33-days-left-424642

Campaign door-knocking in a pandemic puts lives at risk and turns off voters. It’s also sort of useless. And anyone who said otherwise is needlessly panicking.

That was the Joe Biden campaign’s position — until Thursday, when it abruptly reversed course and announced hundreds of volunteers would soon be hitting the doors in swing states with just 33 days to go in the campaign.

The campaign said volunteers would start door-knocking in Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania this weekend with the rest of the battleground states following early next week.

13 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Biden flip-flops on door-knocking with just 33 days left
Biden's campaign announced plans to start door-to-door campaigning after insisting for months the strategy wasn't necessary.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/01/biden-flip-flops-on-door-knocking-with-33-days-left-424642

I've read it may be in response to republicans out registering dems.

I see this as another reason one should be wary of the polls.

This would be the first time many people are going to vote at all.

25 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Not sure why I just spent 30mins looking at this, but I'm not really seeing that backed up anywhere on a quick scan of the literature - you'll need to cite. Progression to respiratory failure is generally several days after hospital admission, which is 1-2 weeks after onset of symptoms, which is several days after exposure. I can't really see a decent age comparison in time to death in any of the papers I'm looking at, but as >80% of those who end up dying are >60 the samples are already heavily skewed towards the elderly with preexisting conditions. Sure I'll buy there's the odd case which knocks people off in a week, but they'd be rare.

Trump also has access to the best medical care money can buy... which can prolong things.

Also:

Oh, it’s anecdotal. Lots of stories about people being dead within 3 or 4 days of having symptoms, and I said he could be dead very, very quickly, next week. That could be 7 or 10 days. CNN just reported Hope Hicks is very sick, and she was at the debate on Tuesday and at a rally yesterday. Some people hang in a month or longer.

They also just interviewed a reporter who was on the flight with Hicks, he’s just a little nervous...

eta: CNN talks about ordinary people who have died every night, and I have certainly heard stories about folks being sick on Monday and dead on Thursday.

The reporters who were on the plane to Minnesota yesterday as the pool reporters have been asked not to be on the plane with Pence tomorrow.

Purely as a hypothetical, because not even 2020 could be this insane, but if Trump and Pence (since he is around him a lot) both did have the virus, and ended up totally incapacitated, and Pelosi became Acting President would she have the power to withdraw ACB's SCOTUS nomination?

If they both died and she was sworn in as President she of course would, but the Acting bit confuses me.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

I agree, the title is dumb.  The campaign did not canvass because they were worried about safety, yes, but also likely because they did not want to invest the resources (but manpower and money) in ensuring they could do so safely.  It's not particularly surprising that as the election winds down - and they increasingly appear to be enjoying a money advantage - that that calculus has changed.  Do they look a bit hypocritical for aggressively criticizing the Trump campaign for risking safety by canvassing?  Of course, but that's politics.  Hardly any more egregious that the least offensive moves of a GOP campaign these days.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Purely as a hypothetical, because not even 2020 could be this insane, but if Trump and Pence (since he is around him a lot) both did have the virus, and ended up totally incapacitated, and Pelosi became Acting President would she have the power to withdraw ACB's SCOTUS nomination?

If they both died and she was sworn in as President she of course would, but the Acting bit confuses me.

My understanding of the Section 3 (and 4) of the 25th amendment and the 47 Succession act is that the only substantive difference between "Acting" and officially is it denotes the president has not permanently necessarily lost his powers (in the case of the 25th) or clarifying the acting president is not the official president (in the case of the 47th amendment).  Other than that, the "acting" president has the same powers as the president.  During both of Dubya's discharge letters, he has evoked Section 3 and clearly stated as much:

In accordance with the provisions of Section 3 of the Twenty-Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution, this letter shall constitute my written declaration that I am unable to discharge the Constitutional powers and duties of the office of the President of the United States. Pursuant to Section 3, the Vice President shall discharge those powers and duties as Acting President until I transmit to you a written declaration that I am able to resume the discharge of those powers and duties.

Notably, however, while acknowledging section 3 in his discharge letter, Reagan did not believe it applied to his situation.

The only other relevant aspect I can think of is section 3 of the 20th amendment:

If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.

The bolded seems to grant constitutional legitimacy to the 47 Act.  Of course, the constitutionality of the act is already controversial, there's no precedent like this, and I can't really see Trump, Pence, or the majority of his Cabinet willingly ceding authority to Pelosi by employing the 25th.  I think the only way she becomes acting president is if they both die.  In that case she would be able to rescind the nomination, and then GOP would take it to court.  No idea what Roberts would do.

At least that's my take.  Completely crazy hypothetical that now looks completely plausible.  2020!

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Justice 

Eh. I bet he’ll be fine by next week. 
2020 is a year of bad things after all.

I’m curious though if his recovery would boost his poll numbers. 
Like surfing getting shot tends to make political figures more popular.

Though for the slim possibility that he does die, I wonder if it’d guarantee Pence being elected in his stead.

Archived