Things that won't get answers

CamiloRP

3 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

that's a wild theory, do you have a link?

I never created a separate thread for it on the forum, though I wrote it here and there in different threads.

This, probably, is the earliest post about this topic (Barristan Selmy/Blackfyre) in my content, I wrote this in January 2018 (and I started to read the series in late 2017):

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/149991-harrenhall-through-a-little-crannogman’s-eyes/&do=findComment&comment=8107120

, at that time I haven't figured out yet that Quaithe is Shiera Seastar (I figured that out by March, but that post I wrote in January, before that), and I thought that Quaithe was Barristan's mother, and either Aenys Blackfyre's daughter, or niece, or sister. Though even then I thought that Baristan is fAegon's father and a Blackfyre.

More detailed explanation begins from this post here

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/150727-is-varys-a-blackfyre/&do=findComment&comment=8155513

and on this link is textual basis from the books for my theory, writen under spoiler in this post:

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/150727-is-varys-a-blackfyre/&do=findComment&comment=8155646

I posted it more than 2 years ago, so my opinion about some of that has changed, or was proven to be wrong (for example that Johanna Swann orchestrated death of Sharako Lohar, because he didn't wanted to give Viserys to her. Though in F&B GRRM wrote that Sharako sold Viserys to Bambarro Bazanne, thus even if Johanna indeed had something to do with Sharako's death, it wasn't because of Viserys. Also since then I figured out that Jeyne's septa wasn't some woodswitch, now I think that it was Shiera Seastar in shadow-glamour, and that she was the mastermind behing that faked attack.)

16 minutes ago, Rondo said:

@CamiloRP

The identity of Azor Ahai has already been answered.  Daenerys is Azor Ahai.  Aegon is most likely a Blackfyre, but whatever the case may be, that will be revealed because he is one of the lies that our heroine must slay.  

That's your reading of it, and it might be true, but there's people who think Jon is AA, or that there are many, or that there isn't one. Those are likely assumptions, but please don't take them as facts.

13 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

That's your reading of it, and it might be true, but there's people who think Jon is AA, or that there are many, or that there isn't one. Those are likely assumptions, but please don't take them as facts.

I believe my reading of the text is accurate, that Daenerys is Azor Ahai.  So yeah, I take that as proven.  

17 minutes ago, Groo said:

I hope I'm not reading too much into your comment but to me saying something is the "point" means it's the central part or conclusion of a character arc or a plot line. I doubt we'll get any Aegon POV chapters which would limit any kind of character arc where Aegon realizes it doesn't matter who he is. As for a plot line, wouldn't we need a lot more than just Varys' shadow on the wall riddle for readers to conclude, "ya know, it really is true that it doesn't matter who the ruler actually is or where he came from."

Sure, that's just where I see the story pointing to, and I'm not saying it's the entire point of his story, but rather that I think it's the point GRRM is trying to make with his story.

The story itself questions Aegon legitimacy, not just the readers. Doran questions it, the small council questions it, and likely more characters will when his return is widely known. On top of the Golden Company thing and the many metaphors, visions and allusions that might point to him being fake. This demands a resolution, just ignoring it doesn't equal him being the real thing, but I find it hard for it to be revealed, if he is the real thing, how could we know for sure? if he isn't, I doubt someone would tell him, if Illyrio and Varys have raised him to rule and both love him, it doesn't matter to them what his last name is, just that he has the right lineage, also, we have two POVs with him: Jon Con and Arianne, who won't learn he's fake even if he is, because they would both cease to support him (well, they might not, but still, there's nothing to win from telling them). The third possible resolution is never knowing for sure, which makes us think: does his blood really matter rather than just his actions? Does his last name really change who he is? If he's a good ruler, does it matter if he's the descendant of kings, exiles or slaves and whores? And that's why I think we'll never know.

17 minutes ago, Megorova said:

I never created a separate thread for it on the forum, though I wrote it here and there in different threads.

Will read, but it's never too late ;)

9 minutes ago, Rondo said:

I believe my reading of the text is accurate, that Daenerys is Azor Ahai.  So yeah, I take that as proven.  

What if it isn't tho?

I think we will get a reveal about fAegon being a Blackfyre. From both Arianne and Tyrion.

A lot of the things we do not get a reveal will be things that were not even supposed to be mysteries ie who wrote the Pink Letter. The trick in that case is the writer, Ramsay, was suffering misinformation.

We will get a reveal on R + L = J, but just how much information we get is a lot harder to predict there are so many moving parts there that do not quite add up.

10 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Another good one is the attempted killing of Bran, I doubt Joff was the culprit, but we'll likely never get a confirmation of who was.

If you reread you'll be in no doubt. It was Joff alright. 

5 hours ago, Rondo said:

The identity of Azor Ahai has already been answered.  Daenerys is Azor Ahai. 

Dany fans arrive at convenient conclusions. 

6 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Well from an in universe perspective, if he does find out no one's going to take him seriously. What's he going to tell everyone? That his dead uncle told him? That his father's.. I mean uncle's crazy frog eating best friend told him? That his aunt.. I mean mom, left him a stone tablet saying he's king in the crypts? That his brother saw it in the trees? I just can't say I see him becoming king, at least by anyone believing in his Targaryen birthright. So what does learning about his heritage bring to the table for the character? Learning about it would almost take away from the character. Instead of being a bastard who forged his own destiny, he's just another cliche fantasy hidden prince. 

What's wrong with a cliche fantasy hidden prince?  Jon rates high on my list of fantasy princes.  I don't think he will tell anyone about it any way.   It almost doesn't matter for anyone except Jon.  

16 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

If you reread you'll be in no doubt. It was Joff alright. 

Dany fans arrive at convenient conclusions. 

It was actually rereading what made me suspect he wasn't, I bought it the first time, the second one it sounded off, the third one I was kinda convinced, and now I'm mostly convinced, with a reasonable doubt, that he wasn't.

Tho I'm not so sure about who did.

And I thought I was cynical, but you guys outdo me well and good! 

One thing we do have to consider is... what does it mean for something to be "answered"? Who poses the questions? Is it the characters themselves, or us? What role does interpretation play here? It's an endless rabbit hole, I'll give you that, but a fun one to explore nonetheless.  

Archived