Football: The fall of mighty teams in silent stadiums

A Horse Named Stranger

United confirm that Shaw will be out for 4-6 weeks. Telles is fit again and has been called up by Brazil.

Joyce reporting that Gomez has picked up an injury during training with England. Southgate is expected to provide an update at his press conference later this evening.

They have to, I think.

The more interesting/relevant question is: Why is Southgate insisting on calling up his best squad for those games and not giving the players with highgest workload (who are active in the European competitions and/or have not had a season break) a rest? It would provide him with an opportunity to see how his depth option/younger players would fare.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/415703-joe-gomez-injury-update-liverpool-england

England have announced Joe Gomez has withdrawn from the squad for their forthcoming internationals after sustaining a knee injury in training.

The defender will undergo further diagnosis on the issue with Liverpool’s medical team.

Gomez will therefore miss the Three Lions’ fixtures with Republic of Ireland, Belgium and Iceland during the current international break.

England manager Gareth Southgate told a press conference on Wednesday evening: “I can’t tell you how serious it is because he is yet to have scans. What was upsetting was to see he was in a fair bit of pain and there was nobody around him when the injury happened, so I didn’t like that element of it.

“We’ve just got to wait and see what the scans show. We’re all hopeful for him that it’s not what it might be but it is not a good situation and I don’t see him being involved in the games with us, that’s for sure.”

3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Update on Gomez:

He's had surgery today for Patellar tendon injury.

:(

I’m disappointed for Liverpool, of course, but really disappointed for Joe personally. He’s had a tough road with injuries (and three of his long term injuries have occurred now on international duty), but this one comes at a huge point in his career.  He could have been the main CB of a title winning team this season, proving that he could succeed without VVD alongside him.  At only 23, this was a potentially huge opportunity for him. 

Archived