US politics: 2 weeks notice

IheartIheartTesla

33 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I do, for three reasons. 

1.  Getting a meaningful climate change bill through Congress - even with unified government - is arguably more difficult than changing the composition of the court.  Treating political capital as a finite resource is wise.  But a stimulus bill - in which perhaps the Dems can include some modest agenda items via reconciliation - is top on the list.  After that, I think "judicial reform" should be at the top of the list.  The damage a 6-3 court could do to democracy far outweighs any other priority.

2.  This is a defeatist attitude.  I agree on Manchin, but the others are certainly more pliable.  Especially Tester, who has demonstrated political courage throughout his tenure.  And the two Arizona Senators are very low on seniority, lots of carrots and sticks to employ.

3.  A mandatory retirement age is much less realistic than expanding the court.  Agree on circuit court reforms - that's why expanding the court should be packaged as "judicial reform."

I'm not really sure the Democrats can afford to shy away from court-packing ; a conservative SCOTUS has the potential to block all their legislative efforts for decades. Bearing in mind that the SCOTUS doesn't need to strike down a law entirely, it can easily eviscerate it by striking down key provisions.

I think anyone seeing this as a luxury underestimates just how important SCOTUS decisions are. Just think of Citizens United v. FEC and Shelby County v. Holder on elections for instance.
Also, just think of all the 5-4 decisions where Kennedy, Roberts, or even Gorsuch (!), sided with the liberals in the past and picture them going the other way...

Nah... If they don't do it, or at least seriously try, they're complicit.

A picture worth a thousand, nay, 10,000 words!

Have you all seen the vids of Melania again pushing away rumpytumtup's hand trying to hold hers?  And then he pushed her?

https://www.ibtimes.sg/presidential-debate-2020-trump-seen-pushing-melania-off-stage-after-she-pulls-her-hand-away-video-52752

As well, there seem to be photos of him taking Malania body doubles to events, not the real thing?  I dunno. These rumors are all in the UK press that has never been prone to reliability or truth, i.e. more fodder for the fake Melania conspiracy.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/new-photo-reignites-wild-melania-trump-body-double-rumours/news-story/f51fbd265adf6dcf265efc6b5be88676

Whatever.  The one we've got who really doesn't care do you is perfectly toxic and depraved all by herself.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

A picture worth a thousand, nay, 10,000 words!

Indeed. Plus, Dr. Biden rocked the dress/ mask ensemble! Or, as Colbert put it: I have a thing for floral prints. Or, at this point, any kind of plan.

ETA:

Nice version of Bohemian Rhapsody: The Trumpian Rhapsody (2020 Edition)

I think judicial reform will happen at some point, but I doubt it will happen under Biden. He's already said that he thinks it's a bad idea, that if the Dems add seats then the GOP will do the same once they're in power, and then the Dems will add more seats, and on and on and on. But it could happen down the road with a more left-leaning presidency. I like the idea of 18-year terms for SC Justices. Every 4-year Presidential term gets two SC nominations. That seems fair to me.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

I'm not really sure the Democrats can afford to shy away from court-packing ; a conservative SCOTUS has the potential to block all their legislative efforts for decades.

It has the potential, but it won't actually do that precisely because if the court is really annoying both Congress and the Presidency, they have the means to do something about it. This is what happened with FDR: he failed at packing the court (which should give you some idea of how non-trivial an operation that is), but the court eventually saw things his way.

7 minutes ago, Altherion said:

This is what happened with FDR: he failed at packing the court (which should give you some idea of how non-trivial an operation that is), but the court eventually saw things his way.

The court saw things his way because of his threat at packing the court.  Only after they started upholding challenges to the New Deal did support for the bill evaporate in Congress.  Anyway, applying that example is pointless in the current context.  The Roberts court is not going to acquiesce/appease like that, and interbranch relations are entirely different.

21 minutes ago, Pecan said:

I like the idea of 18-year terms for SC Justices.

I don't find term limits or retirement ages useful places to start when figuring out how to reform the SC.  They'll almost certainly be struct down by the incumbent SC, no matter the partisan makeup of all three branches.

3 minutes ago, Pecan said:

I think judicial reform will happen at some point, but I doubt it will happen under Biden. He's already said that he thinks it's a bad idea, that if the Dems add seats then the GOP will do the same once they're in power, and then the Dems will add more seats, and on and on and on. But it could happen down the road with a more left-leaning presidency

I don't blame Biden for saying such things at this point, but I really hope that he'll turn aroud if he is elected and the Dems win the Senate.

It's not just the Supreme Court, since Trump appointed over 200 judges.
https://www.ft.com/content/032b3101-9b8b-4566-ace4-67b86f42370b

8 minutes ago, Altherion said:

This is what happened with FDR: he failed at packing the court (which should give you some idea of how non-trivial an operation that is), but the court eventually saw things his way.

There are many lessons to be drawn from FDR's failure, but I wouldn't say not having a court-packing plan is one of them.

The problem with judical reform is that anything short of court packing can just get struck down by SCOTUS if they don't like it.

Dems need to either pack the court or pull a Jackson and just ignore it. Either has consequences the next time Republicans win, but those are the only choices if Democrats want to accomplish anything if they get power this election. 

Also, if Democrats do well this year they'll get a lot of redistricting power, and may be able to gerrymander the House to be pretty safe for the next several cycles. Which would insulate against the possibility of Republicans get their own trifectia in 2024.

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't watch 60 Minutes normally. But jeez that was a bad interview. No wonder he ran away.

I just came here to see if anyone was going to mention that interview. Trump was as demented and aggressive as he was during the first debate. Normal people must have watched the tape and decided the only way to reduce the impact would be to release the entire footage, knowing 60 Minutes would have to compress it.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

The court saw things his way because of his threat at packing the court.  Only after they started upholding challenges to the New Deal did support for the bill evaporate in Congress.  Anyway, applying that example is pointless in the current context.  The Roberts court is not going to acquiesce/appease like that, and interbranch relations are entirely different.

What kind of legislation do you think the Roberts court will strike down? The previous iteration (led by Roberts himself) left ACA alone and waited for Congress to declaw the individual mandate (which they promptly did as soon as Republicans had united control of government).

This is cracking me up: Putin Throws Trump Under The Hunter Biden Bus

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/10/25/1989524/-Putin-Throws-Trump-Under-the-Hunter-Biden-Bus

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Sunday that he saw nothing criminal in Hunter Biden’s past business ties with Ukraine or Russia, marking out his disagreement with one of Donald Trump’s attack lines in the U.S. presidential election.

Archived