US politics: 2 weeks notice

IheartIheartTesla

16 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I'm about 52% pro choice.  But why would the people of Louisiana be bastards if they made a clear choice here?  Are you anti democracy? 

Probably to the same extent you are.

I mean, if the majority voted overwhelmingly that everyone that ever used the usernames mcbigski or A True Kaniggit had to get kicked in the balls twice a week, then I'd think that majority were bastards.

16 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I'm all for gimping the establishment, but I don't think looking for any sort of even semi-permanent victory is in the interest of the People.  We don't want to be on the Erdogan train here.  (In general, I'm sure there are plenty of anti-democratic a holes that want to snuff out dissenters.)

It need not be anti-democratic (consider FDR), but my point was simply that either kind (good or bad) is not plausible in the current environment.

17 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

We're going to know in the next ten weeks or so how this all turns out, but if Trump gets re-elected, my advice for the Democrats would be to actually let the primaries pick a candidate who has enthusiasm behind him or her.  Obviously the party uppers put the fix in when Biden won one of the Carolinas and then everyone besides Bernie dropped out within 3 days or so.  He's a terribly flawed candidate, to be mild, though if the media carries him over the finish line, I suppose that doesn't matter.

He's nowhere near as bad as the previous Democrat nominee though and this is almost certainly enough given the current situation. I think that if there was no virus (or at least if it came after the election), Trump might have been able to win, but as it stands, his chances are fairly low no matter how one counts.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

We're going to know in the next ten weeks or so how this all turns out, but if Trump gets re-elected, my advice for the Democrats would be to actually let the primaries pick a candidate who has enthusiasm behind him or her.  Obviously the party uppers put the fix in when Biden won one of the Carolinas and then everyone besides Bernie dropped out within 3 days or so.  He's a terribly flawed candidate, to be mild, though if the media carries him over the finish line, I suppose that doesn't matter.

As an outsider, Biden is far from my ideal pick to redirect the windward direction of the US. But it's not the media carrying him. Your boi is about to get crushed, Mickey. Then we'll see if US democracy has any fight left in her or not.  

Just now, JEORDHl said:

As an outsider, Biden is far from my ideal pick to redirect the windward direction of the US. But it's not the media carrying him. You're boi is about to get crushed, Mickey. Then we'll see if US democracy has any fight left in her or not.  

Its cute how people think polls are the score that determines the outcome of a game. 

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

My brother and I still look a lot alike, yet that diverged when I prank-scared him badly during our later teenage years. 

As a consequence he's 5" shorter than I am.

My brother is 7.5 years older than me and went prematurely bald. When we went to Europe together when I was 17 (on his dime), very few people realized we were brothers. Some thought he was my dad. Some thought he was my daddy.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I mean, if the majority voted overwhelmingly that everyone that ever used the usernames mcbigski or A True Kaniggit had to get kicked in the balls twice a week, then I'd think that majority were bastards.

Could those be separate questions?

18 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

My brother is 7.5 years older than me and went prematurely bald. When we went to Europe together when I was 17 (on his dime), very few people realized we were brothers. Some thought he was my dad. Some thought he was my daddy.

Skipping all the nonsense, my paternal grandmother's brother was gay and had a very young Asian boyfriend. They were both awesome. My grandmother, not so much. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

my material grandmother's brother was gay and had a very young Asian boyfriend. They both were awesome. My grandmother, not so much. 

Was she the wrong material?

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

Ideally, I'd say outlaw any public funding of abortion so that pro life people don't have their tax dollars spent there, but keep it legal, and allow private organizations that want to support abortion, support it.  (Though in practice it would probably be funded by Margaret Sanger approved eugenicists, which is distasteful to say the least.)

I’m fine with that-so long as what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Which would mean because of my pro life viewpoints, none of my tax dollars can go toward military spending. 

1 minute ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Which would mean because of my pro life viewpoints, none of my tax dollars can go toward military spending. 

Or how about tax exemptions for religious institutions?  Or farm subsidies - surely those offend vegans and environmentalists?  Hm...seem this standard is getting really damn stupid really fast.

So watching the new Borat movie, it reminded me of something. If your argument against abortion is that every life matters in god's kingdom, can we no longer swat mosquitos? 

This could make Minnesota a swing state depending on your opinion.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So watching the new Borat movie, it reminded me of something. If your argument against abortion is that every life matters in god's kingdom, can we no longer swat mosquitos? 

This could make Minnesota a swing state depending on your opinion.

No no no.

You obviously don't get it.  Life matters until birth.

After that, life is on its own. That infant better pull itself up by its own bootstraps.

7 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

No no no.

You obviously don't get it.  Life matters until birth.

After that, life is on its own. That infant better pull itself up by its own bootstraps.

Have you ever killed a spider's nest?

Archived