US politics: 2 weeks notice

IheartIheartTesla

Our polling place has lines, lines, lines, snaking across major thoroughfares, and around many  blocks.  People are waiting hours and hours.

The polling place is the basement of a Catholic Church, so not that many voters can be allowed in at a time either.

Further out in Brooklyn, the Barclay Center polling site is the same with the multiple snaking lines.  A high school brass band has shown up to entertain the waiting voters.

That there is such a massive Failure with the applied mail-in ballot applications requests never even getting opened or fulfilled, might be put to the the blame of the Republicans having controlled the state assembly and thus the Board of Elections for so long, so we've never had either mail in voting or early voting before this election.  But still -- godDemit! -- there was all summer to pull this together and they didn't.  Any more than they pulled together the public school education system planning and implementation. 

As there is no record of our mail in ballot applications and we certainly never got them, though the BOE did send us an updated voter information card with our names, address and precinct and district info, we're going to try the early voting next week,  Supposedly, from what I heard on the radio -- information I cannot find anywhere else online or the news sites -- due the massive Fail of the mail in - mail out ballots -- we're allowed to vote in person whether or not we received a ballot. Which of course we never did.  Wonder what happened to our census form.  Mailed it at the same time, in person, at the same post office, with the applications for the ballots first week of September.

Polls really don't matter at this point. We have enough information. Biden is up big, the House will stay blue while the Senate is a bit harder to predict, but it should be won by Democrats.

Your Clarion Call at this point should be to phonebank, canvass and do everything you can do to get people to vote. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Polls really don't matter at this point. We have enough information.

Tell that to Hillary.  In terms of vicinity to election day, Comey would have sent his letter to Congress yesterday.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Tell that to Hillary.  In terms of vicinity to election day, Comey would have sent his letter to Congress yesterday.

She misallocated her resources down the home stretch. Does anyone argue otherwise?

She misallocated her resources down the home stretch. Does anyone argue otherwise?

No, but her numbers didn't start dramatically dropping until after the letter, or within the last 10 days of the election, which was my point.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

No, but her numbers didn't start dramatically dropping until after the letter, or within the last 10 days of the election, which was my point.

Point taken, but do you see anything that would cause you to believe that a similar event will happen? 

Is Bill Barr's corrupt ass going to arrest the Biden? No. That presser we saw is probably all they have, and FBI Director Ray wanted nothing to do with it.

They have nothing. Just breath, hope there are no irregularities, and we'll have a new President elect. 

So Lisa Murkowski announced she's gonna vote for Barrett, after ostensibly opposing her nomination in the first place.  Republican courage!

Point taken, but do you see anything that would cause you to believe that a similar event will happen?

No, but your suggestion that the polls aren't going to change and/or "don't matter" in the last 10 days is simply wrong.  That's what I'm pushing back on.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

No, but your suggestion that the polls aren't going to change and/or "don't matter" in the last 10 days is simply wrong.  That's what I'm pushing back on.

What's going to change them? An asteroid hitting Earth?

Just chiming in quick before bird can play whack-a-horse with me.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

So Lisa Murkowski announced she's gonna vote for Barrett, after ostensibly opposing her nomination in the first place.  Republican courage!

That is pretty disappointing, I thought Murkowski would stick by her announcement. So screw her.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Would you agree with the amount of early voting in this cycle, that the poll changes within the last 10 days are probably less relevant this year.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Would you agree with the amount of early voting in this cycle, that the poll changes within the last 10 days are probably less relevant this year.

A bit, yes, but only a bit.  Most people that already voted are still high propensity voters - just like the early vote in every cycle.  The main difference is much much more high propensity voters have already voted, but that doesn't change the fact they were eventually gonna vote anyway.  The most encouraging data about the early voting numbers is the boost in youth turnout that's been mentioned upthread.

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That is pretty disappointing, I thought Murkowski would stick by her announcement.

Technically, she did. Her opposition was not to this particular nominee, but to advancing the nomination so close to the election. Thus, she will vote against final vote proceeding, but if this is not enough (it probably won't be), she will vote for the nominee. It's a logically consistent position, albeit with the usual political weaseling.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know and neither do you.  The point is not to assume anything.

No I do not. But I can assume a hippopotamus won't appear in my room minutes from now, unless of course you and I are playing Jumanji.  

But I can assume a hippopotamus won't appear in my room minutes from now, unless of course you and I are playing Jumanji. 

Comparing Biden's current leads in many potential tipping point states - and the possibility they could drop to within the margin before election day - to such a situation is quite stupid.

2 minutes ago, Leap said:

Is it just me but is it very annoying when Rachel Maddow says this?

I find most things Rachel Maddow says annoying.

I was expecting Murkowski to weasel because her vote against Kavanaugh / history of Trump attacks on her is almost certain to complicate her primary race in 2022.  Yes, she won as a write-in in 2016 but who knows whether she can repeat the feat in 2022.  Honestly, I hope she gets successfully primaried so the Democrat has a chance in 2022.  I do respect her for her Kavanaugh vote, but still better to have someone with principles rather than a periodic fit of conscience in that seat. 

8 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Yes, she won as a write-in in 2016 but who knows whether she can repeat the feat in 2022. 

She won as a write-in in 2010.  She easily won the Republican nomination in 2016.  She'll almost certainly get primaried in 2022, but feel like a lot of her enemies and influencers in the Alaska GOP may conclude "fool me once.."

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

A bit, yes, but only a bit.  Most people that already voted are still high propensity voters - just like the early vote in every cycle.  The main difference is much much more high propensity voters have already voted, but that doesn't change the fact they were eventually gonna vote anyway.  The most encouraging data about the early voting numbers is the boost in youth turnout that's been mentioned upthread.

Asking just because I'm curious, but how do brand new voters get classified? As in registered just this year.

Archived