Picking Biden's Cabinet

DMC

21 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I think Stacey Abrams should just come out swinging in 2024. She doesn’t need anything from this administration, and anything less than the governor’s mansion or the White House is frankly beneath her pay grade.

For DNC chair Id be happy to see one of the Castro boys.

I wanna see a promotion for Maxine Waters, she deserves it.

Julian Castro would be a good choice for head of DNC in that he's at a decent balance on the party where he's not offensive to either the centrists or the left.  On the other hand, I think he could still have career in an elected position, and DNC chair isn't exactly a traditional springboard to the Senate or another cabinet slot.  Would love to see him run for Governor or Senate in TX in the future.

Then again, it's not like there's any reason he couldn't go on to bigger things after the DNC.

54 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

For DNC chair Id be happy to see one of the Castro boys.

Not a bad idea for Julian.  I tried to consider him for a Cabinet post that'd be a step-up from his prior HUD experience, but nothing really fit other than maybe AG - and that would almost certainly be counterproductive to his future electoral ambitions.  DNC chair might be a good way for him to keep him busy and continue to build connections throughout the party.  Plus, ya know, he should be damn good at the job and like larry said he's almost an ideal middle-ground between the moderates and the left. 

Thinking about it, if he doesn't want to contend for any statewide position in 2022, which seems unwise at this point, I actually really like the idea for him to do it at least for the next two years and then maybe turn his attention to Cruz's seat in 2024 when Cruz will at least concurrently be running in the GOP presidential primary.

I really agree that Abrams is a rock star rising.  How old is she?  But so is Buttigieg.  2024, barring some medical disaster or some such, should be about Harris.  Everything about this Biden Cabinet needs to be about two things: fixing the issues created by Trump and Trumpism (a tall order) and also about actually building a bench for the up and comers.  Abrams, Buttigieg, the Castros, a couple others...

And as much as I like a lot of what we see from AOC and the Squad and some other progressives, they seem like the ones we want growing into Speakerships and Majority Leaders controlling that branch of Government (which is a divergence from the original question, I know...)

49 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I really agree that Abrams is a rock star rising.  How old is she?  But so is Buttigieg.  2024, barring some medical disaster or some such, should be about Harris.  Everything about this Biden Cabinet needs to be about two things: fixing the issues created by Trump and Trumpism (a tall order) and also about actually building a bench for the up and comers.  Abrams, Buttigieg, the Castros, a couple others...

And as much as I like a lot of what we see from AOC and the Squad and some other progressives, they seem like the ones we want growing into Speakerships and Majority Leaders controlling that branch of Government (which is a divergence from the original question, I know...)

Pete is in a really tricky position. He has little to no chance of winning statewide in Indiana and I can't see him getting any kind of position that in and of itself would serve as a spring board to the presidency. His best bet may be to take any position, "decide" he likes living in Maryland or Virginia more, then just eat the carpetbagger attacks while running for office there. Worked for Hillary. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

She's 82. I'm not sure she has anywhere to go past being the chair of a committee. 

She also has zero chance of getting confirmed with a GOP Senate.  I have a very hard time seeing Manchin ever voting for her either.

58 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Everything about this Biden Cabinet needs to be about two things: fixing the issues created by Trump and Trumpism (a tall order) and also about actually building a bench for the up and comers.  Abrams, Buttigieg, the Castros, a couple others...

Definitely agree building a bench should be a top two priority, I just don't really see it for Abrams or even either of the Castros (especially Joaquin who's already Vice Chair of Foreign Affairs, think he's gonna wanna stay there for awhile).

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

His best bet may be to take any position, "decide" he likes living in Maryland or Virginia more, then just eat the carpetbagger attacks while running for office there. Worked for Hillary. 

Yeah definitely.  The intuition is to go with Maryland cuz their still much more Democratic, but I'd think Virginia works better because of the one term limit on governor and it fits his natural coalition better.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

She also has zero chance of getting confirmed with a GOP Senate.  I have a very hard time seeing Manchin ever voting for her either.

Good point. I didn't even get that far along in the thought process to consider it. And practically speaking, would it even be seen as a lateral move to go from being a committee Chair to a second or third tier Cabinet position, because there's little chance she'd get nominated for one of the plum positions? 

Yeah definitely.  The intuition is to go with Maryland cuz their still much more Democratic, but I'd think Virginia works better because of the one term limit on governor and it fits his natural coalition better.

It probably only matters at the margins. If either state's political party was willing to accept him as an adoptive son, he'd be in line for an open Congressional seat or statewide office. But that does mean his most realistic path to a presidential nomination would have to wait for many years. Probably until the 2030's, if it ever were to happen.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

And practically speaking, would it even be seen as a lateral move to go from being a committee Chair to a second or third tier Cabinet position, because there's little chance she'd get nominated for one of the plum positions? 

No it'd definitely be a step down in both practical power and prestige from Budget Chair for anything but the big four.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If either state's political party was willing to accept him as an adoptive son, he'd be in line for an open Congressional seat or statewide office. But that does mean his most realistic path to a presidential nomination would have to wait for many years. Probably until the 2030's, if it ever were to happen.

I don't think he's too interested in "just" a congressional seat after his showing in the primary, he could do that in Indiana.  In terms of statewide office, one thing to keep in mind is three of the four Senate seats are pretty well entrenched.  Plus even though Cardin's pretty old, who knows these days.  He's a year younger than the incoming president.  As for maybe having to wait at least 12 years, dude is barely older than me, I'd hope that's cool.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

No it'd definitely be a step down in both practical power and prestige from Budget Chair for anything but the big four.

To me it would only make sense if she was planning on retiring soon and just wanted the position for legacy purposes. I agree it would be a step down in power and her current role still allows her to needle Trump et al. in a meaningful way.

I don't think he's too interested in "just" a congressional seat after his showing in the primary, he could do that in Indiana.  In terms of statewide office, one thing to keep in mind is three of the four Senate seats are pretty well entrenched.  Plus even though Cardin's pretty old, who knows these days.  He's a year younger than the incoming president.  As for maybe having to wait at least 12 years, dude is barely older than me, I'd hope that's cool.

He'd have to move anyways though and it's possible that could hurt him more within the internal politics of the Indiana Democratic Party than it would if he made a fresh start elsewhere. It's probably a crap shoot either way, but I know personally I'd rather relocate to a place where I could actually win statewide. 

And that's a fair point about the two states' political makeup, but I still think going to D.C. in this hypothetical gives him a reasonable excuse to leave Indy. I just don't think his future prospects are too bright there. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt it. 

12 hours ago, DMC said:

The problem with Virginia is that there's only 5 statewide elected positions (Gov, Lt. Gov, AG, and both US senators) and way more people than that looking to fill them. Northam, Fairfax, and Herring all getting caught up in scandals clears things a little bit maybe, but I don't think enough for Pete to have an opening either next year or waiting until 2025.

Warner and Kaine have the senate seats on lockdown as long as they want them. McAuliffe is going to run for governor again next year (since its a limit on consecutive terms, non-consecutive is open season), which means that the original favored candidate, Jennifer Carroll Foy is going to have to wait until 2025 (unless she can upset Mackers, she hasn't withdrawn). AG seems like it's Herring's as long as he wants it (his scandal wasn't nearly as bad as the other two), and he is running for his 3rd term next year. I guess Lt Gov is Pete's best shot, and using that as a stepping stone to the future, but that's what every elected Virginia Democrat is trying to do too.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

The problem with Virginia is that there's only 5 statewide elected positions (Gov, Lt. Gov, AG, and both US senators) and way more people than that looking to fill them. Northam, Fairfax, and Herring all getting caught up in scandals clears things a little bit maybe, but I don't think enough for Pete to have an opening either next year or waiting until 2025.

Well, this hypothetical is based on Buttigieg joining the cabinet in some capacity, so presumably next year's races would be off the table.  Buttigieg is not running for AG - he's not even a lawyer - but I don't see think 2025 is out of the realm of possibility for governor and certainly not for LG.  As for the apparent assumption Carroll Foy will just stand aside for another McAuliffe term, fuck that she should take that douchebag on in the primary.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:59 AM, williamjm said:

Are there many Republican senators where a Democrat would appoint their replacement and who could be tempted away with a fancy job title?

I've heard this as a strategy, but it seems too clever for Joe. I don't mean that as an insult. He just seems to believe he doesn't need to do things like that. I'm not sure what I believe about it right now. I suppose the Senate would never approve those appointments.

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pete is in a really tricky position. He has little to no chance of winning statewide in Indiana and I can't see him getting any kind of position that in and of itself would serve as a spring board to the presidency. His best bet may be to take any position, "decide" he likes living in Maryland or Virginia more, then just eat the carpetbagger attacks while running for office there. Worked for Hillary. 

I agree with you on the first part, but disagree on the second.  Pete's already run for president and won Iowa.  And Biden owes him a debt for the pre-Super Tuesday endorsement.  He can and should take a cabinet job but being senator or governor in Virginia/Maryland is not a necessary step up to the presidency.  I think in 2028 or 2032 he'll be perfectly qualified to run again after serving a term or two in the cabinet.  And honestly, maybe having a career like Bill Richardson (minus the scandal and implosion) doing a couple of different cabinet jobs and an ambassadorship is probably the best qualification for running again.  

7 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

And honestly, maybe having a career like Bill Richardson (minus the scandal and implosion) doing a couple of different cabinet jobs and an ambassadorship is probably the best qualification for running again. 

Well, Richardson was also a two term governor.  If he wasn't, his scandal/implosion wouldn't have been possible in the first place.  But I agree with your general premise - Buttigeig doesn't necessarily have to win a statewide office somewhere to have a viable chance in the longterm.  Definitely would help though.

36 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, this hypothetical is based on Buttigieg joining the cabinet in some capacity, so presumably next year's races would be off the table.  Buttigieg is not running for AG - he's not even a lawyer - but I don't see think 2025 is out of the realm of possibility for governor and certainly not for LG.  As for the apparent assumption Carroll Foy will just stand aside for another McAuliffe term, fuck that she should take that douchebag on in the primary.

Right, I'm assuming 2025. And I've got no problem with Caroll Foy running against McAuliffe, though personally I'll probably vote for Mackers in the primary. He was a good governor. But let's say she wins, fine that takes her out of 2025. But then the presumptive favorite for Gov. that year will be whoever the sitting Lt. Gov is. 

Not saying it can't be done, but I think he'd have an easier path in Maryland. 

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not saying it can't be done, but I think he'd have an easier path in Maryland.

Fair enough.  The reason I disagree is the same logic you're applying to VA - that a lot of Democratic talent is going to be after precious few statewide offices - can definitely equally be applied to Maryland.  And in terms of governor and LG, if the Dems win in 2022 that will be blocked until 2030.  Like I said, Maryland does have the advantage that Cardin is considerably older than the other three entrenched Senators, but I think the one term limit and demographical makeup of VA outweigh that.

17 minutes ago, Fez said:

And I've got no problem with Caroll Foy running against McAuliffe, though personally I'll probably vote for Mackers in the primary. He was a good governor.

Boo!!!  I've had a personal revulsion to McAuliffe since his DNC stint - which was elevated to seething hatred during the 2008 primary - but I'll admit I didn't follow much of how he actually did as a governor.

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

I've heard this as a strategy, but it seems too clever for Joe. I don't mean that as an insult. He just seems to believe he doesn't need to do things like that. I'm not sure what I believe about it right now. I suppose the Senate would never approve those appointments.

This is really being nasty to Biden. Did you see the list of Republican senators who are from states with Democratic governors? The only one that would possibly be a fit for a position in Biden's cabinet is Susan Collins, and for multiple reasons he probably wouldn't want to appoint her and she probably wouldn't want to accept. Someone like Rand Paul or Ron Johnson is not going to fit into a Biden cabinet. 

51 minutes ago, Ormond said:

This is really being nasty to Biden. Did you see the list of Republican senators who are from states with Democratic governors? The only one that would possibly be a fit for a position in Biden's cabinet is Susan Collins, and for multiple reasons he probably wouldn't want to appoint her and she probably wouldn't want to accept. Someone like Rand Paul or Ron Johnson is not going to fit into a Biden cabinet. 

I can't help how you read it. I said I don't mean it as an insult. He's not crafty. And it probably wouldn't work anyway. I suppose I meant "clever" as being indicative of some level of sneakery, which isn't the denotative meaning of the word, but certainly it's a euphemism, sometimes, to say someone is being sneaky. And I also said I don't think it's a strategy that would work, so :dunno:

5 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I said I don't mean it as an insult. He's not crafty. And it probably wouldn't work anyway.

Generally speaking, trying to poach a Senate seat from the other party via offering them a Cabinet post is not a "crafty" move.  Not only would it instantly be read by McConnell in this context, it would instantly be read as such an effort by that Senator as well.  When this happened in 2009 with Judd Gregg - before that got blown up by his earmarks scandal - there was an agreement that the Democratic governor of New Hampshire (John Lynch) would appoint Gregg's chief of staff as his replacement.

Archived