Star Wars - We're ALL Being Tortured For No Reason

Relic

5 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Still wondering if a few people here have actually SEEN the OT in the last decade.

Bits and pieces. The only one ive watched all the way through in the last ten years is Empire. 

16 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Would you like to weigh in on the why did Vader torture Han, uh, debate?

I admit that something about the earlier discussion, re: Chewbacca not tortured, made me feel like I forgot something. So, yes, it's all well-and-good that Yoda says that Vader is doing it to make Luke feel Han's suffering through the Force. But to make plain it was never about getting information, Han literally says to Leia after the torture session that they didn't even ask him questions.

So, that fits with Yoda, and with the fact that Bespin is clearly a trap for Luke, which goes to the idea that the primary reason for torturing Han was to get Luke over there. Did Vader enjoy torturing Han? Sure. But he had a telegraphed motive.

16 minutes ago, Ran said:

I admit that something about the earlier discussion, re: Chewbacca not tortured, made me feel like I forgot something. So, yes, it's all well-and-good that Yoda says that Vader is doing it to make Luke feel Han's suffering through the Force. But to make plain it was never about getting information, Han literally says to Leia after the torture session that they didn't even ask him questions.

So, that fits with Yoda, and with the fact that Bespin is clearly a trap for Luke, which goes to the idea that the primary reason for torturing Han was to get Luke over there. Did Vader enjoy torturing Han? Sure. But he had a telegraphed motive.

Vader doesn't enjoy anything. 

A line from the 'Star Wars Archives' book about the PT. No idea if that's out already.

George Lucas: Nobody knows who ordered the clones. It’s played as if it were somebody from the Jedi Council who foresaw there was going to be a war, so he was preparing for it, but it turns out that was somebody working for Palpatine, Sifo-Dyas. He was the apprentice before Darth Maul.

I think there is an obscure hint in that direction in that TCW episode about Sifo-Dyas and his death, where the mad aide of Chancellor Valorum claims the guy who arranged Sifo-Dyas' death wanted to be Sifo-Dyas - which I think we then took as a hint that he wanted to be 'clone army guy'. But apparently this is to be taken as more literally with Sifo-Dyas being a Sith apprentice Dooku wanted to replace.

Timeline-wise this makes no sense, of course, since Maul couldn't have been Sidious' apprentice only for a couple of weeks/months, but then Sidious definitely is the guy who would have multiple apprentices/candidates - we see this later with Tyranus and Anakin, anyway, not to mention in TCW with Ventress/Opress for Darth Tyranus.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

A line from the 'Star Wars Archives' book about the PT. No idea if that's out already.

I think there is an obscure hint in that direction in that TCW episode about Sifo-Dyas and his death, where the mad aide of Chancellor Valorum claims the guy who arranged Sifo-Dyas' death wanted to be Sifo-Dyas - which I think we then took as a hint that he wanted to be 'clone army guy'. But apparently this is to be taken as more literally with Sifo-Dyas being a Sith apprentice Dooku wanted to replace.

Timeline-wise this makes no sense, of course, since Maul couldn't have been Sidious' apprentice only for a couple of weeks/months, but then Sidious definitely is the guy who would have multiple apprentices/candidates - we see this later with Tyranus and Anakin, anyway, not to mention in TCW with Ventress/Opress for Darth Tyranus.

I watched that recently.  If I remember correctly, Syfo Dias had premonitions of the coming war and strongly advocated for preemptively building an army of the republic. I think he was actually expelled from the council for this. He's then killed by the pikes on the order of Darth Tyrannus.

This suggests Tyrannus was actually Sidius' apprentice and Maul was more of an expendable acolyte who thought he was an apprentice. This seems to be a common thing for the Sith (eg. Ventress). It obviously violates the rule of two otherwise. This relationship is formalized in the empire with the Inquisitors.

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Per the video game 

Hide contents

Inquisitors are former Jedi padiwans corrupted through crazy torture

Not all of them, the grand inquisitor was a disillusioned Jedi temple guard. 

52 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Good lord. 
(Also 8 is the only one of the ST Lucas liked since it tried to be different and actually used bits of his script.

edit: haha i don’t think he is getting the responses he expected 

It'll be fun to watch. A llllooooooot of really passionate fans hated the ST 

19 minutes ago, RumHam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Not all of them, the grand inquisitor was a disillusioned Jedi temple guard. 

Is that really a spoiler? Pretty sure that info is over a year old.

8 hours ago, Ran said:

Is it confirmed anywhere he didn’t torture Chewie or Leia at some point?

In a ANH he didn’t shy from torturing Leia, not that it proved effectivr in getting her to tell where the rebel base was.

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A lot of really passionate fans loved TLJ as well

Even better. A divided fandom shitting all over each other? Grab some popcorn and a tasty beverage. #shavethewookie

This sounds amazing. Why have I not heard of this?

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a30882356/full-star-wars-9-original-duel-of-fates-script-colin-trevorrow/

Archived