NFL 2020: Stop the Steel(ers)

Maithanet

16 hours ago, Maithanet said:

If Mahomes can't go, you gotta assume Buffalo takes it.  No way to know if mahomes will be all right, but he looked really bad on the field there.  

He probably shouldn't play. He might be able to fudge his way through the protocols but he clearly had concussion, playing a week later seems very dubious.

Not sure how the Bucs are going to beat GB in GB.  Their defense has been playing lights out for multiple games and Rodgers is playing at an unbelievable level and should be the MVP this year.  The TB D might look good against a 7 win Washington team and the Ghost of Brees, but GB has been firing on all cylinders since their loss to MN.  I've definitely been wrong before, but I think Brady is going to need to score 35+ points to win and I'm not sure they're going to get enough possessions to do that.

KC vs Bills will be interesting.  Curious as to the concussion because it didn't look like he actually hit his head on the play.  I think I'd give the edge to the Bills at this point, but it should be a much closer game than the TB vs GB game.

I saw a few flashes of OriginalTomBrady but not sure he has enough left to beat Rogers at Lambeau.  If NFL 'concussion protocol' has any meaning there seems little chance that Mahommes can play, we'll see. 

Would it be worse for the Bills to go to another superbowl and lose or lose the AFC championship game? 

31 minutes ago, aceluby said:

KC vs Bills will be interesting.  Curious as to the concussion because it didn't look like he actually hit his head on the play.  I think I'd give the edge to the Bills at this point, but it should be a much closer game than the TB vs GB game.

Yeah, Mahomes didn't take a direct hit from the defender.  That was a clean tackle.  I think it was either whiplash from his head snapping forward/backward or possibly his head hitting the ground when he got pulled down.  

39 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, Mahomes didn't take a direct hit from the defender.  That was a clean tackle.  I think it was either whiplash from his head snapping forward/backward or possibly his head hitting the ground when he got pulled down.  

One of the guys after the TB/NO game thought it might have been the choke hold that caused the wobbly knees.  I could see whiplash, but even the ground hit didn't look too bad.  I was really shocked he got up the way he did, even after the replays.  I would be pretty surprised if he didn't play though, concussion protocol be damned.  The NFL isn't going to want one of its biggest stars on the sideline on one of the biggest stages if that star at any point says he's ready to play.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

One of the guys after the TB/NO game thought it might have been the choke hold that caused the wobbly knees.  I could see whiplash, but even the ground hit didn't look too bad.  I was really shocked he got up the way he did, even after the replays.  I would be pretty surprised if he didn't play though, concussion protocol be damned.  The NFL isn't going to want one of its biggest stars on the sideline on one of the biggest stages if that star at any point says he's ready to play.

Agreed.  Mahomes will play.  I give it approximately a 0% chance that he doesn't see the field on Sunday.

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

Agreed.  Mahomes will play.  I give it approximately a 0% chance that he doesn't see the field on Sunday.

I expect Mahomes will play, but injuries like that are more than just a matter of willpower and ignoring the consequences.  It is more than a 1% chance that Mahomes is straight unable to play, no different from a broken leg. 

But it isn't going to be some administrative hoops that prevent him from going out there. 

32 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I expect Mahomes will play, but injuries like that are more than just a matter of willpower and ignoring the consequences.  It is more than a 1% chance that Mahomes is straight unable to play, no different from a broken leg. 

But it isn't going to be some administrative hoops that prevent him from going out there. 

I mean it shouldn't just be an 'administrative hoop'. It's entirely possible that he's physically capable of playing. It's also not beyond the realms of possibility that he could die if he gets two concussions in quick succession.

9 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I mean it shouldn't just be an 'administrative hoop'. It's entirely possible that he's physically capable of playing. It's also not beyond the realms of possibility that he could die if he gets two concussions in quick succession.

I'm not minimizing what a serious injury concussions are. 

It's just nothing about how the NFL treats player safety indicates they would hold a star player out of a playoff game purely to protect his health.  Quite the opposite in fact. 

23 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm not minimizing what a serious injury concussions are. 

It's just nothing about how the NFL treats player safety indicates they would hold a star player out of a playoff game purely to protect his health.  Quite the opposite in fact. 

That was my point as well.  I'm not saying he should play, just that based on past expectations he will play.

I've read mixed things on the nature of Mahomes' injury.  While he was apparently put in concussion protocol, I saw (I think on a Sleeper push update) that it was actually a nerve issue that knocked him out of the game on Sunday.  That makes a little more sense given that it didn't appear he suffered much if any contact to the head unless his head hit the ground, but I couldn't tell for sure during the game.

42 minutes ago, briantw said:

I've read mixed things on the nature of Mahomes' injury.  While he was apparently put in concussion protocol, I saw (I think on a Sleeper push update) that it was actually a nerve issue that knocked him out of the game on Sunday.  That makes a little more sense given that it didn't appear he suffered much if any contact to the head unless his head hit the ground, but I couldn't tell for sure during the game.

I've never heard of a nerve issue making you wobbly and look like you don't know where you are.  Seems a little too convenient.  

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hall of Famer? Idk. Kind of amazing he played this long though given he had a noodle arm a decade ago.

Surely not first ballot, but I would think so eventually.

Just now, Rhom said:

Surely not first ballot, but I would think so eventually.

Idk. No Owl appearances. No MVPs. Never had a season in which he was the best QB, or even top three really. Lead the league in Ints more times than TDs. 

Archived