NFL 2020: Stop the Steel(ers)

Maithanet

41 minutes ago, briantw said:

Playing for the Browns now wouldn't be so bad.  Top five offensive line and the best RB tandem in the league.

Okay, but that could all be gone within two seasons. Those four franchises have a long track record of utter and complete incompetence. If I was a top prospect I’d have no reason to believe that’s going to change unless I had unrealistic views about myself.

22 minutes ago, briantw said:

Ben should retire at halftime.  He's basically a fatter final year Peyton Manning right now.

Yeah, but the 2014 version that thought he was gonna magically get better in the offseason. It's downhill from here.

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

Ben should retire at halftime.  He's basically a fatter final year Peyton Manning right now.

Nah, Peyton was actively the worst QB in football that last year. Ben's washed, but he's not that. However, you can't take a guy whose arm strength has fallen off a cliff when that was his best attribute and then run out an offense that makes him throw the ball 50 times a game with no running game. Not shocking at all that he's hitting a wall, especially when they've had to play five games in less than four weeks. 

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah, Peyton was actively the worst QB in football that last year. Ben's washed, but he's not that. However, you can't take a guy whose arm strength has fallen off a cliff when that was his best attribute and then run out an offense that makes him throw the ball 50 times a game with no running game. Not shocking at all that he's hitting a wall, especially when they've had to play five games in less than four weeks. 

Peyton led the league in passing TD's in 2014, but in the last 6 games he was visibly terrible. Roethlisberger is following the same playbook.

21 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Peyton led the league in passing TD's in 2014, but in the last 6 games he was visibly terrible. Roethlisberger is following the same playbook.

Wasn't that the season before (although the NFL always makes this annoying)? Anyways, Peyton was playing at an unsustainable pace, so it makes sense that the fall was more noticeable, even though it would be two more seasons before everything crashed and burned until Von Miller dragged his ass to a championship.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wasn't that the season before (although the NFL always makes this annoying)? Anyways, Peyton was playing at an unsustainable pace, so it makes sense that the fall was more notable, even though it would be two more seasons before everything crashed and burned until Von Miller dragged his ass to a championship.

He threw 55 tds in 2013 and 40 in 2014 and like 10 in 2015. Most of those 2014 scores came in the first half of the season, and by the time they hosted the Colts in the divisional Peyton had a "thigh" injury that was making his arm look like a distended noodle.

(The truth is that his arm strength wasn't great in 2013, it all died out during 2014, and he had nothing left in '15)

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

He threw 55 tds in 2013 and 40 in 2014 and like 10 in 2015. Most of those 2014 scores came in the first half of the season, and by the time they hosted the Colts in the divisional Peyton had a "thigh" injury that was making his arm look like a distended noodle.

39 in 2014 and 9 in 2015, but who's counting if only not to point out that Luck had 40 in 2014 :P, though I'm sure you're right that in hindsight the decline was there to see the year before it happened. 

(The truth is that his arm strength wasn't great in 2013, it all died out during 2014, and he had nothing left in '15)

Peyton never had a very strong arm to begin with. Speaks to how he maximized all the other aspects of the position. 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

39 in 2014 and 9 in 2015, but who's counting if only not to point out that Luck had 40 in 2014 :P, though I'm sure you're right that in hindsight the decline was there to see the year before it happened. 

Peyton never had a very strong arm to begin with. Speaks to how he maximized all the other aspects of the position. 

Peyton never had the best arm in the league, but as late as 2007 and 2008 he could put the ball forty yards downfield on a rope in about half a blink of an eye with perfect accuracy. Essentially the same thing Patrick Mahomes does twelve times a game, but Manning was only mortal and needed his feet set and a clean pocket to do so. But he could do it. I once saw his range top out at around sixty, maybe sixty-five yards against the Chargers. Tom Brady had a deeper deep ball, but until the neck surgeries I always thought Peyton threw with more velocity.

In 2011 Peyton Manning couldn't throw a football. In 2012 he had an effective range of about 30-40 yards. He could torque it past fifty, but it would have no accuracy and little velocity (there's a reason Demaryious Thomas is always looking back towards the line of scrimmage when he catches a 'deep' ball). In 2013 he was pretty much the same, but he played within himself expertly and those deeper shots to E-Man were always open because Wes Welker, Julious Thomas, and BeyBey require a lot of attention. Even still, E-Man was always laying out to catch those flutterers and getting lain out in turn.

In 2014 I knew there was something wrong in week 3 when Peyton could barely get his sideline cover-3 beaters down the field. They did get there, but just barely and Seattle won in overtime. After that his range continued to shrink until he was only effective about 20 yards downfield, although he always threw at least two 'deep' shots to E-Man in the first quarter that had a range of about 40ish yards. Thing is, they all had to be down the middle of the field because throwing towards the boundaries means extra distance. So Peyton would try to establish early, while his arm was still juiced, that he could throw a cover-2 beater right down the seam. I think it worked like once in the 20 or so games I was onto the habit because Peyton had to put his entire body into the throw which robbed it of all accuracy. He often overthrew E-Man, to add insult to inaccuracy, because he was terrified of his fluttering ducks getting picked off.

You saw him in the Superbowl. By then he had a necrotic piece of meat dangling from where his 5 time MVP arm used to be.

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's actually a pretty smart move if you think he can be salvaged. 

Signed,

Someone who thought Rosen had a good chance to be the best QB in that draft class.

:leaving:

I’m not opposed.  I’d like to see if Shanny the Younger can use him.

Just bizarre to think how it all came to this.

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

Saw a fun stat that, if the Browns beat the Jets this weekend, they'd be 11-4 for the first time since 1986.  No one on their roster was born yet.  Also their GM was born a year later.

Browns could also theoretically go 11-5 and miss the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

they'd be 11-4 for the first time since 1986.  No one on their roster was born yet.

Having been born in 1985 that factoid really makes me feel old.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

:lmao:

Speaking of Niners Nation, saw this post (I'm not into podcasts so I didn't listen to it):

“I would be all for them taking a quarterback in the first round, preferably Zach Wilson,” Luna said, “[You and I] shared text messages between each other and I said I will cut off my pinky toe to have Zach Wilson be the 49ers’ quarterback.”

Woah. Now that is dedication. I’ve loved the 49ers for decades, but I’m not sure I would ever be willing to sacrifice a digit so they could draft a quarterback in the first round. It’s a valuable appendage.

Not to be outdone, Nate Nelson took it to another weirder and much worse level.

“I’d cut off a whole lot more than that.”

Archived