NFL 2020: Stop the Steel(ers)

Maithanet

The Chiefs kindly spotted the Dolphins a ten spot to open the game, and since have completely owned them. Gave up an unfortunate fumble, then promptly swarmed Tua in his own end zone for a safety. It's a fun team to watch from the perspective of a very casual NFL watcher. 

Russ has to be done for the day.

I really wish they would put something in the seats.  Cardboard fans or...something.  They cover the top section for many Sounders matches so maybe something like that.  I don't know.  Today I find myself distracted by the empty seats and piped in crowd noise. 

Yep Geno is taking over.

20 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Russ has to be done for the day.

I really wish they would put something in the seats.  Cardboard fans or...something.  They cover the top section for many Sounders matches so maybe something like that.  I don't know.  Today I find myself distracted by the empty seats and piped in crowd noise. 

Yep Geno is taking over.

I don't mind the empty seats but the fake crowd noise is starting to annoy me because it seems increasingly to be louder than what would be in a game with fans. 

Browns are a year away.  Just not enough playmakers on defense.

Baker looks like a legit quarterback, though.  The work that coaching staff has done to correct the yips he developed while he was getting murdered every week last year is incredible.  If you watch his tape from early this season he looks like a totally different player.

9 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Was there a 3 or 4 point line on this game? A fucking safety to end it would be a hell of a way to get beat.

The line was Ravens -3.

9 hours ago, briantw said:

Baker looks like a legit quarterback, though.  The work that coaching staff has done to correct the yips he developed while he was getting murdered every week last year is incredible.  If you watch his tape from early this season he looks like a totally different player.

His arm is stronger than I thought. The hail mary he threw at the end of the first half appeared to travel over 70 yards through the air.

To me the Colts look like the biggest threat to the Chiefs repeating in the AFC (and possibly in the whole league).  That defense can play and the offense has some weapons.  They beat KC in the regular season last year and look stronger now.  Playoff Rivers is a little worrisome, but they're not asking him to do too much, so he might come through.  Obviously he isn't going to outduel Mahomes, but the Chiefs D isn't as stout as what the Colts have. 

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

His arm is stronger than I thought. The hail mary he threw at the end of the first half appeared to travel over 70 yards through the air.

PFF said it was the longest NFL pass attempt they've ever charted.  And yeah he threw it from his own 40 and it went out of the end zone.

I remember last night the announcers were talking about Mayfield's athleticism and said he won't wow you with his arm.  I was sitting there wondering if those dumb fucks have ever seen him play, because if anything it's the opposite.  His arm and accuracy were his hallmarks in college and what got him drafted first overall, but he won't wow you with his athleticism (I'd say he's roughly average in that department as far as NFL pocket QBs go).

1 hour ago, briantw said:

PFF said it was the longest NFL pass attempt they've ever charted.  And yeah he threw it from his own 40 and it went out of the end zone.

Really? I swear there's a clip of Favre throwing a TD from his own 20 and the ball went into the end zone.

I remember last night the announcers were talking about Mayfield's athleticism and said he won't wow you with his arm.  I was sitting there wondering if those dumb fucks have ever seen him play, because if anything it's the opposite.  His arm and accuracy were his hallmarks in college and what got him drafted first overall, but he won't wow you with his athleticism (I'd say he's roughly average in that department as far as NFL pocket QBs go).

It's about narratives. Once one develops around a guy, it's hard for a lot of people to shake it even if it in hindsight was clearly not true. Mayfield has all the tools to be a really good (though I doubt great) QB. His main issue is he seems to crumble under pressure, and that's something a lot of guys can never shake. 

14 minutes ago, briantw said:

PFF probably wasn't around then?

Idk, but I assumed they might get bored and evaluate old game tapes for shits and giggles. 

Speaking of which, given the source, I'm taking this as a confirmation:

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Speaking of the Colts defense, Matt Eberflus might be my 2nd choice after Eric Bieniemy for the Bengals next HC. 

Pretty good career turn for a guy who got hired and then jilted by Josh McDaniels.

I wonder if McDaniels regrets stiffing the Colts. But he probably wouldn't have done better than Reich. And now he's left holding the bag after Brady left, now likely to be perceived more like Adam Gase than like Sean McVay.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, but I assumed they might get bored and evaluate old game tapes for shits and giggles. 

Speaking of which, given the source, I'm taking this as a confirmation:

Jordan had the flu game.

Lamar had the poo game.

Archived